Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BourbonOrBust

Is the Apogee XT outdated?

Posted · Original PosterOP

I recently revisited overclocking my cpu and that's got me thinking...

I've been rocking a Swiftek Apogee XT for 6 years now. Is it possible that cpu waterblocks have gotten way better in the 10 years since mine launched?

It has a "pin matrix" design versus the more popular channels, but of similar dimension. Other than that it seems more or less identical to the top blocks on the market.

I can't find a showdown that reaches that far back, but this one here is showing 4C differences between the best and worse performers and that's pretty compelling imo http://thermalbench.com/2016/12/02/alphacool-eisblock-xpx-cpu-waterblock/5/

This block has cooled 3 different CPUs for me and been cleaned and re-pasted each time.

Has anyone upgraded from this block and seen significant improvement in temps?

38 minutes ago, BourbonOrBust said:

I recently revisited overclocking my cpu and that's got me thinking...

I've been rocking a Swiftek Apogee XT for 6 years now. Is it possible that cpu waterblocks have gotten way better in the 10 years since mine launched?

It has a "pin matrix" design versus the more popular channels, but of similar dimension. Other than that it seems more or less identical to the top blocks on the market.

I can't find a showdown that reaches that far back, but this one here is showing 4C differences between the best and worse performers and that's pretty compelling imo http://thermalbench.com/2016/12/02/alphacool-eisblock-xpx-cpu-waterblock/5/

This block has cooled 3 different CPUs for me and been cleaned and re-pasted each time.

Has anyone upgraded from this block and seen significant improvement in temps?

Basically it's more about optimization for a given platform than about outright gainz these days.

What ^ said.  Basically any waterblock made in the last 10 years is pretty much the same performance give or take maybe 4 degrees C delta at the most.  Exception being for giant packages like Threadripper and Skylake server...but you'd probably be buying new waterblocks and shit anyways if you have that kinda budget.

Having strong mounting pressure is by FAR more important thant the block design.

Workstation: 9900KF @ 4.9Ghz || Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master || Gigabyte Gaming G1 1080Ti || G.Skill DDR4-3800 @ 3600 4x8GB || Corsair AX1500i || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900 nonK || ASRock Z390 Taichi Ultimate || EVGA Titan X (Maxwell) || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad push only.

Server Router (Untangle): 8350K @ 4.7Ghz || ASRock Z370 ITX || 2x8GB || PicoPSU 250W, running on AX1200i from Server Storage || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Server Compute: E5-2696v4 || Asus X99 mATX WS || LSI 9280i + Adaptec + Intel Expander || 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup, Corsair AX1200i (drives)  || 11 gallon whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G3 (Intel 8350U), Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

Posted · Original PosterOP

*clicks on link*

*video already liked*

Apparently my memory of LTT videos starts degrading around the 4 year mark...

I'm honored to have the first comment of my first post hail from on-high

Thank you both for the replies! It's great news to hear my $55 used cpu block I bought from a forum listing isn't holding me back.

A de-lid and lap may be in my future, but that also may be the quarantine talking 🙃

56 minutes ago, BourbonOrBust said:

*clicks on link*

*video already liked*

Apparently my memory of LTT videos starts degrading around the 4 year mark...

I'm honored to have the first comment of my first post hail from on-high

Thank you both for the replies! It's great news to hear my $55 used cpu block I bought from a forum listing isn't holding me back.

A de-lid and lap may be in my future, but that also may be the quarantine talking 🙃

Look at you, didn't even need the ticket to be sent up the chain hahahahahaaa. 

AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e