Is the Apogee XT outdated?

I recently revisited overclocking my cpu and that's got me thinking...

I've been rocking a Swiftek Apogee XT for 6 years now. Is it possible that cpu waterblocks have gotten way better in the 10 years since mine launched?

It has a "pin matrix" design versus the more popular channels, but of similar dimension. Other than that it seems more or less identical to the top blocks on the market.

I can't find a showdown that reaches that far back, but this one here is showing 4C differences between the best and worse performers and that's pretty compelling imo http://thermalbench.com/2016/12/02/alphacool-eisblock-xpx-cpu-waterblock/5/

This block has cooled 3 different CPUs for me and been cleaned and re-pasted each time.

Has anyone upgraded from this block and seen significant improvement in temps?

38 minutes ago, BourbonOrBust said:

I recently revisited overclocking my cpu and that's got me thinking...

I've been rocking a Swiftek Apogee XT for 6 years now. Is it possible that cpu waterblocks have gotten way better in the 10 years since mine launched?

It has a "pin matrix" design versus the more popular channels, but of similar dimension. Other than that it seems more or less identical to the top blocks on the market.

I can't find a showdown that reaches that far back, but this one here is showing 4C differences between the best and worse performers and that's pretty compelling imo http://thermalbench.com/2016/12/02/alphacool-eisblock-xpx-cpu-waterblock/5/

This block has cooled 3 different CPUs for me and been cleaned and re-pasted each time.

Has anyone upgraded from this block and seen significant improvement in temps?

Basically it's more about optimization for a given platform than about outright gainz these days.

What ^ said.  Basically any waterblock made in the last 10 years is pretty much the same performance give or take maybe 4 degrees C delta at the most.  Exception being for giant packages like Threadripper and Skylake server...but you'd probably be buying new waterblocks and shit anyways if you have that kinda budget.

Having strong mounting pressure is by FAR more important thant the block design.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

*clicks on link*

*video already liked*

Apparently my memory of LTT videos starts degrading around the 4 year mark...

I'm honored to have the first comment of my first post hail from on-high

Thank you both for the replies! It's great news to hear my $55 used cpu block I bought from a forum listing isn't holding me back.

A de-lid and lap may be in my future, but that also may be the quarantine talking 🙃

56 minutes ago, BourbonOrBust said:

*clicks on link*

*video already liked*

Apparently my memory of LTT videos starts degrading around the 4 year mark...

I'm honored to have the first comment of my first post hail from on-high

Thank you both for the replies! It's great news to hear my $55 used cpu block I bought from a forum listing isn't holding me back.

A de-lid and lap may be in my future, but that also may be the quarantine talking 🙃

Look at you, didn't even need the ticket to be sent up the chain hahahahahaaa. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580