Wifi extender - netgear AC 2900 R7000 advanced tomato

I wish to repurpose my old Netgear hawking AC 2900 R7000 into a WIFI extender for my folks, so they can get better WIFI in another room without have to pull new cables.

My question is just, how do I do this in the best way, and what settings do I need to change / setup in advancedtomato, to make this work?

I hope you guys can help, I’m not that sharp in this area.

The Only Way I Can See It Work Is With A Ethernet Cable Or Powerlines  Its honestly the best option i think you have did you buy another router and you want to repurpose it?

Can You Give A Little Bit More Detail How You Have It Setup  If You Can Create A Simple Diagram That Would Actually help And Me To Help You achieve It 

I Hope i Could Help In Any Way

Remember To @Lesantir_12 So i Can See The Message Quicker and help you 

4 hours ago, Hearts5655 said:

I wish to repurpose my old Netgear hawking AC 2900 R7000 into a WIFI extender for my folks, so they can get better WIFI in another room without have to pull new cables.

My question is just, how do I do this in the best way, and what settings do I need to change / setup in advancedtomato, to make this work?

I hope you guys can help, I’m not that sharp in this area.

Unless you have a very specific reason to be using third-party firmware, I’d suggest you stick with the stock firmware. Just upgrade to the latest version, configure it to run in access point mode then assign it a static internal IP outside of the DHCP IP pool, and wire it to your primary router using the LAN (not WAN) port.

Third party firmware can unlock a lot of features on old wireless routers, but they often cannot take full advantage of the hardware compared to stock. What you’re trying to do is not beyond the capabilities of the stock firmware and you’ll likely get higher throughput.

5 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Unless you have a very specific reason to be using third-party firmware, I’d suggest you stick with the stock firmware. Just upgrade to the latest version, configure it to run in access point mode then assign it a static internal IP outside of the DHCP IP pool, and wire it to your primary router using the LAN (not WAN) port.

Third party firmware can unlock a lot of features on old wireless routers, but they often cannot take full advantage of the hardware compared to stock. What you’re trying to do is not beyond the capabilities of the stock firmware and you’ll likely get higher throughput.

It's to late, I Installed advancedtomato on it, because the stock firmware, couldn't handle running a VPN and had issues with external access, which I needed for a project... But I haven't been able to reinstall the old firmware. 

7 hours ago, Lesantir_12 said:

The Only Way I Can See It Work Is With A Ethernet Cable Or Powerlines  Its honestly the best option i think you have did you buy another router and you want to repurpose it?

Can You Give A Little Bit More Detail How You Have It Setup  If You Can Create A Simple Diagram That Would Actually help And Me To Help You achieve It 

I Hope i Could Help In Any Way

Remember To @Lesantir_12 So i Can See The Message Quicker and help you 

Thank you for your answer.

In one room there is a internet router, that has been provided by the internet provider. This router is not powerful enough to supply the entire house with wifi. So my plan is to install an old Nighthawk AC 2900 R7000 that I have in surplus, after I bought a newer router.

My plan is then to use the nighthawk as an extender for the internet router supplyed by the internet provider. BUT my Mom is not happy with having a whole in the wall, so my plan is to extend/repeate the signal from the router from the internet provider through wifi alone. I hope to do this by installing the nighthawk midtway in the building.