Best Choice to Upgarde?

headtechie

Budget (including currency): $500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Fortnite, Starwars Squadrons, First Person Shooters.

Other details

I am trying to figure out what will be the best bang I can get out of ~$500 to upgrade my current computer. 

I am thinking of upgrading either the CPU/Motherboard or the video card.  I’m thinking an i7 10700k with an Z490 board.  Or waiting to get a RTX 3070

Primary uses are video games (fortnite, Minecraft, First Person shooters) and web browsing.  I use a 2560 x 1440 144hz display.

Currently I have;

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-
Processor: Intel® CoreT i7 6700k     
Processor Cooling: [Closed Loop Liquid Cooling]MAINGEAR
 EPIC 120 Supercooler 
Memory: 32GB HyperX® FURYT DDR4- 2666   (4x8GB]        

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
Power Supply: 750W EVGA® SuperNOVA 80 Plus     

Any thoughts on what would be a better upgrade (CPU/MB vs Graphics card) would be appreciated.  Thanks

what results are you looking for vs current performance? your specs should run the games your looking for just fine tbh.

My goal is to have a smoother gameplay experience at higher quality graphics settings.  For example, in fortnite, often in the middle of a match my game will lock up and freze for a second.  Also, the low detail textures load in fine, but on a regular basis the textures never resolve to the higher details.  With Star Wars Squadrons coming out, I'd like to be able to play at high graphics settings and get smooth / high frame rates to go with it.