Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Raxxor

Best 850w PSU for 3080

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

I was reading for hours the PSU tier list and trying decide what is the best PSU for my future build with ryzen "4000" series and rtx 3080. I was thinking pick one from here:

  • Coolermaster V850 Platinum (maybe the 16 AWG thicker pcie cables help?)
  • NZXT E850 
  • Bitfinex Whisper 850
  • Corsair HX850
  • Seasonic PX850 Platinum
  • Or maybe wait to Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12?
  • Or you can give me a diferent option guys

I know every pick here will be a right choice but I would like pick the best option here and why even if it's an small diference.

 

Also another question, multi-rail or single-rail is relevant to check or it doesnt matter?

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Raxxor said:

why even if it's an small diference.

exactly. you're choosing from all great PSUs so just take your favorite, whichever speaks to you,

 

multi rail doesn't matter here


I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

 

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

 

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

 

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Link to post
Share on other sites

if theyre all similarly efficient get the cheapest one, if theyre all the same price get the best looking one? 🤷‍♂️

 


topics i need help on:

Spoiler

 

 

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 hour ago, Fasauceome said:

exactly. you're choosing from all great PSUs so just take your favorite, whichever speaks to you,

 

multi rail doesn't matter here

I read one user @GoldenLag not recommending the Seasonic PX and/or Prime and talking about transient sensitivity here:

 

 

1 hour ago, King Spartan said:

so i went tru this a couple of days ago and i people on here and people said that the Corsair Rm850x Gold is good 

I guess the HX850 will be good also then

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Raxxor said:

I was reading for hours the PSU tier list and trying decide what is the best PSU for my future build with ryzen "4000" series and rtx 3080. I was thinking pick one from here:

  • Coolermaster V850 Platinum (maybe the 16 AWG thicker pcie cables help?)
  • NZXT E850 
  • Bitfinex Whisper 850
  • Corsair HX850
  • Seasonic PX850 Platinum
  • Or maybe wait to Be Quiet! Dark Power Pro 12?
  • Or you can give me a diferent option guys

I know every pick here will be a right choice but I would like pick the best option here and why even if it's an small diference.

 

Also another question, multi-rail or single-rail is relevant to check or it doesnt matter?

i love the corsair hx850i psu

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, truckerlenny1990 said:

i love the corsair hx850i psu

I picked the HX850 over the HX850i version in my list because the price diference is around 50€-60€, I guess it's the same performance and only change is the software control in the "i" version right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Out of those, the only one that's behind in performance is the Corsair HX850.

 

I have a preference toward Seasonic PSUs so I'd grab the PX or even the Prime Platinum.

 

But the Cooler Master V850 has some goodies like being able to do single/multirail with its digital controller.

And the NZXT E850 is top of the line in our tier list.

 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

 


We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

 

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: PowerColor PCS+ R9 290

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone Fara R1-based case for half the price

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Logitech G203 Prodigy

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: 2x Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Raxxor said:

I picked the HX850 over the HX850i version in my list because the price diference is around 50€-60€, I guess it's the same performance and only change is the software control in the "i" version right?

yes exactly. from my knowledge the hxi is more available for purchase. i like corsair icue software and use it to manage my systems

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Out of those, the only one that's behind in performance is the Corsair HX850.

 

I have a preference toward Seasonic PSUs so I'd grab the PX or even the Prime Platinum.

 

But the Cooler Master V850 has some goodies like being able to do single/multirail with its digital controller.

And the NZXT E850 is top of the line in our tier list.

 

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psucultists-psu-tier-list/

 

It's confusing because many people recommends the Corsair RMs and HXs over the rest and about the Cooler Master V850, tomshardware review recommend other PSUs like the HX, AX, Seasonic focus platinum... and also I read another user talking about transient sensitivity (read above) and not recommending the Seasonic Prime or PX for the new 3080 GPU lol.

image.png.569db287ebf060db2c2dc665e7b630bb.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Raxxor said:

It's confusing because many people recommends the Corsair RMs and HXs over the rest and about the Cooler Master V850, tomshardware review recommend other PSUs like the HX, AX, Seasonic focus platinum... and also I read another user talking about transient sensitivity (read above) and not recommending the Seasonic Prime or PX for the new 3080 GPU lol.

I would go with the Corsair HX or HXI or EVGA T2 or P2.


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair HXi 850W Platinum. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Raxxor said:

And what do you think about the CM V850 and the 16 AWG pcie thicker cables guys?

FYI: RM and HX also have 16g wires for the PCIe.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Energycore said:

have a preference toward Seasonic PSUs so I'd grab the PX or even the Prime Platinum.

Well for the time being, ampere trips on Prime PSUs fairly easily. And probably shouldnt be paired with ampere for that reason. 

 

This applies to other units like old focus (maybe new?). Nzxt E (maybe?), Cx grey, formula gold below 650w. 

 

8 hours ago, Energycore said:

And the NZXT E850 is top of the line in our tier list

Worth noting you need to do so manual tuning through software to make it great. 

 

8 hours ago, Raxxor said:

Or you can give me a diferent option guys

If you are US located. The Enermax revolution D.F 850w id pretty nice and cheap. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Well for the time being, ampere trips on Prime PSUs fairly easily. And probably shouldnt be paired with ampere for that reason. 

 

This applies to other units like old focus (maybe new?). Nzxt E (maybe?), Cx grey, formula gold below 650w. 

 

Worth noting you need to do so manual tuning through software to make it great. 

 

If you are US located. The Enermax revolution D.F 850w id pretty nice and cheap. 

I found the Enermax Revolution D.F. 850w in local online stores here in my country, im from Europe. So the revolution D.F. is not an old unit and/or trips paired with ampere like prime/px, focus, formula?? and what do you think about the Corsair HX850 compared to the revolution??

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Raxxor said:

and what do you think about the Corsair HX850 compared to the revolution??

HX is a nicer unit compared to the D.F. 

 

i assume the D.F is costly in your country then? because its only really a good pick at the right price. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

HX is a nicer unit compared to the D.F. 

 

i assume the D.F is costly in your country then? because its only really a good pick at the right price. 

HX850 non "i" version is around 34€ more expensive (174€) than the revolution df 850w (140€). Is it much better than the revolution to pay 34€ more?? it will work with ampere and no trips?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Raxxor said:

it will work with ampere and no trips?

rev D.F should work fine, but there is no comprehensive list of units. there are only a couple of known units and a dousin candidates. 

 

assuming you read the manual of the rail layout of the D.F. then you probably wont have issues. 

 

edit: i dont see it as worth 34 more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

rev D.F should work fine, but there is no comprehensive list of units. there are only a couple of known units and a dousin candidates. 

 

assuming you read the manual of the rail layout of the D.F. then you probably wont have issues. 

 

edit: i dont see it as worth 34 more. 

 

 

From what I have seen from testing the HX 850 has less than half the ripple the DF does and the warranty is twice as long.

 

So it would depend on how one looks at things to see if the difference in price is worth it.... In the long run... And it is minor at 34...

 

So one could end up buying 2x DF's compared to one HX in the long run.... That more than covers the small price difference just on warranty period alone.

 

Taking into count replacing PSUs at the end of the warranty period as we should ideally.

 

170 is less than 280..... By 110....

 

 

 

 

 

 


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair HXi 850W Platinum. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

That more than covers the small price difference just on warranty period alone.

guess i should consider the value of the PSU measured only in negligable ripple differences and warranty periods. 

 

and its 140 vs 174 which is a decent bit of change. Rev D.F is allready a pretty nice unit, and one can use a PSU outside the warranty window. and considering its a fairly nice unit, i see no issue in doing that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

guess i should consider the value of the PSU measured only in negligable ripple differences and warranty periods. 

 

and its 140 vs 174 which is a decent bit of change. Rev D.F is allready a pretty nice unit, and one can use a PSU outside the warranty window. and considering its a fairly nice unit, i see no issue in doing that. 

 

34 isn't that much, maybe lunch with a tip... But 110 is 3 lunches with tips...

 

I wouldn't do it, no way....Not hooked up to my PCs... ;)

 

But that's me....

 

I dump them at or around the warranty ending... Could be sooner depending....


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair HXi 850W Platinum. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

I dump them at or around the warranty ending... Could be sooner depending....

depending on the quality of the unit and what im powering with it, id use it untill it dies. thats my take on it. offcourse a longer warranty is allways a nice bonus. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

depending on the quality of the unit and what im powering with it, id use it untill it dies. thats my take on it. offcourse a longer warranty is allways a nice bonus. 

 

Reasons why replacing is a good thing... From another thread.....

 

  

On 9/27/2020 at 2:29 PM, jonnyGURU said:

The most common thing an aging PSU does is kills components down stream.  Even a PSU with blown seconday caps isn't a "catastrophic failure" as it will continue to output power.  The more common catastrophic failures is something like an SMT components popping or a MOSFET or Schottky diode popping.  Then everything comes to a screeching halt.

 

 


i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair HXi 850W Platinum. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ankerson said:

Reasons why replacing is a good thing... From another thread.....

yeah im aware, but you reach a life expectancy regardless of warranty where you should only expect the best of units to be "good". and if you want that sort of reliability, id point to some rather specific units. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP

Soo if im willing to pay 34€ more the HX is superior to the rev df and rest of PSUs in my list for ampere right?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×