what sony and Microsoft do with faulty cpu/gpus?

aqarwaen29

witb this i dont mean dead chips,what i mean is chips what wont pass requirements to end in new xbox or ps5.surely they get some bad chips?

i just wonder wil faulty chips end in nitendo switch and ohter similar stuff?

No nintendo doesnt use failed chips from sony and microsoft, thats not at all how things work lol. They generally either get recycled or tossed, these are already bargain bin chips, they are the outermost of the wafers to keep the costs down. What Microsoft could have done with the New CorsairXbox and The MiniXbox is use the lower yields from the more powerful machine in the cheaper model to cut costs even more.

they dont make the chips. intel, amd, snapdragon and such make them.

but if they were faulty by chance (poor inspection and quality control, shipping, poor handling, etc) they would do what you do. probably send for a refund

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

My guess, trash. can really fix them.

Won't be used in the switch as there different chips, and no other products use the chips in the consoles that I know of.

probably recycles/binned for chips that dont perform up to spec

or if they get a lot of chips that does work but performs under spec, they could release a lower tier product.

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

22 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

they dont make the chips. intel, amd, snapdragon and such make them.

but if they were faulty by chance (poor inspection and quality control, shipping, poor handling, etc) they would do what you do. probably send for a refund

You say this, and this isnt even true either lol :P Come on you try to sound smart but in the end make the mistake :P TSMC makes all AMDS chips. Intel Makes their own BUT will soon also use TSMC. Samsung Makes Pretty much all of Qualcams (snapdragon) chips, and will for the next few years after the contract :P

And there is no refund, there is a Set loss per wafer when manufacturing. They order a certain amount of chips and OF those chips they can also decide to buy the lower yield chips at a different rate  for a different product if they choose to do so.

I do wonder if they can pull Costco like moves and just dump the faulty chips at the doors of AMD with a note saying that they're not paying for these. If they're a big enough revenue stream for AMD, that just might be possible. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

2 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You say this, and this isnt even true either lol :P Come on you try to sound smart but in the end make the mistake :P TSCM makes all AMDS chips. Intel Makes their own BUT will soon also use TSCM. Samsung Makes Pretty much all of Qualcams (snapdragon) chips, and will for the next few years after the contract :P

And there is no refund, there is a Set loss per wafer when manufacturing. They order a certain amount of chips and OF those chips they can also decide to buy the lower yield chips at a different rate  for a different product if they choose to do so.

rofl same goes for you. your eq is probably as high as the amount of 😛 faces you make. not saying im right but your response is pretty rude and uncalled for.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

AMD makes them, and before handing over to MS / Sony, they would bin the ones that doesn't check out.

What to do with those CPU, some maybe to power the lower grade Series S (i dont know if there's any difference with X).

The rest of it goes to the dumpster.

Silicon are cheap, the bulk of the cost is the manufacturing process.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

6 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

I do wonder if they can pull Costco like moves and just dump the faulty chips at the doors of AMD with a note saying that they're not paying for these. If they're a big enough revenue stream for AMD, that just might be possible. 

I would suspect if the percent of chips that don't meet the min specs that they require is high enough, that would be a possibility but that would probably be caught by TSMC and/or AMD (not sure which one would check chips before shipping to customers, but I'm guessing at least one of them does) before the chips get to Microsoft or Sony.

12 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

You say this, and this isnt even true either lol :P Come on you try to sound smart but in the end make the mistake :P TSCM makes all AMDS chips. Intel Makes their own BUT will soon also use TSCM. Samsung Makes Pretty much all of Qualcams (snapdragon) chips, and will for the next few years after the contract :P

Sorry can't help myself, it's TSMC (Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company), not TSCM.:P

1 hour ago, aqarwaen29 said:

witb this i dont mean dead chips,what i mean is chips what wont pass requirements to end in new xbox or ps5.surely they get some bad chips?

i just wonder wil faulty chips end in nitendo switch and ohter similar stuff?

Sony and Microsoft use AMD CPU/GPU's. Nintendo uses the Nvidia TEGRA CPU which is an ARM based CPU. 

I just want to sit back and watch the world burn. 

10 hours ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

No, but there would be some kind of reconcileation process. At some number of bad chips, there's a penalty or discount or something..the contracts would have set guarantees and penaltees for missing those..

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎