Choice of router.

KazuyaZW

I recently had some trouble with my router. I I asked around and did some research, and from what it seems: Its hardware problems. I'm not gonna tell the whole story, as its been a problematic and long one. But some recommended me to get a "real" router this time, and not get a Huawei one from my operator, as the latest my operator has to offer is Huawei B818. But my mother decided to buy a real router. Currently owning a broken Huawei B535, I am not quite sure what to direct my mother too (as I am the technical one of us). I was thinking either: TP-Link AX10 (as it has wifi 6 and it pretty budget friendly) or Netgear Nighthawk R7000 (as it has very good reviews and good stats) What do you think we should do, speaking 4G wireless connection? Our budget lies in at around 150$ and less.

4 hours ago, KazuyaZW said:

In Juli/July I was as high as 40/20 mb/s, now I'm down at under 5/10 (weirdly enough upload is higher than download). I usually lie in at around 2/6 mb/s.

Firstly, telling us these numbers means nothing if there's no point of reference. That point of reference is the speeds you pay for from your ISP.

Secondly, how and when are you measuring these speeds? Keep in mind that you can only get a close-to-accurate measurement if there's no other network activity except from the device running the speed test. Also, are you testing on a wired or wireless connection?

I am not quite sure what to direct my mother too (as I am the technical one of us)

Let's start with a budget and what is accessible to you in your part of the world. Are you able to order from common US websites like Amazon, eBay, etc?

What do you think we should do, speaking 4G?

Not sure what you mean by this. Please clarify.

4 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Firstly, telling us these numbers means nothing if there's no point of reference. That point of reference is the speeds you pay for from your ISP.

Secondly, how and when are you measuring these speeds? Keep in mind that you can only get a close-to-accurate measurement if there's no other network activity except from the device running the speed test. Also, are you testing on a wired or wireless connection?

Let's start with a budget and what is accessible to you in your part of the world. Are you able to order from common US websites like Amazon, eBay, etc?

Not sure what you mean by this. Please clarify.

I am editing this post as I included a lot of un necessary information. Lets just put it like this: I have talked to a lot of different people, and techincal support (That are more familiar with router and networking than me): They all refer to the problems I am facing as hardware problems. I am not going to go over what the different things are, and why as that is not the topic. As I have thought of all the different things you mentioned, but keeping that discussion going is unnecessary (and I dont wanna waste your time). But my conclusion is: My router has a hardware problem, and we are going to buy a new one (I don't wanna waste unnecessary time for you. Sorry for the inconvenience) :) 

I am from sweden, so amazon and ebay are not valid choices for me. But it all lies in at usually the same price. So thats fine. I have a budget of around 150$, and we have wireless connection, 4G :D 

1 hour ago, KazuyaZW said:

we have wireless connection, 4G 

Ok. So your internet connection is via a cellular data network. 

Are you looking to replace your Hauwei 4G/LTE CPE? Because neither the AX10 nor R7000 have antennae for 4G/LTE reception. You could still connect one to the CPE and configure the CPE or wireless router in bridge mode.

6 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

Ok. So your internet connection is via a cellular data network. 

Are you looking to replace your Hauwei 4G/LTE CPE? Because neither the AX10 nor R7000 have antennae for 4G/LTE reception. You could still connect one to the CPE and configure the CPE or wireless router in bridge mode.

Well what should I get in that case? 

9 hours ago, KazuyaZW said:

Well what should I get in that case? 

You can wire your own wireless router after the CPE, but you’ll have to run either the CPE or wireless router in bridge mode so only one device is handling NAT. Also, to simplify things even further, disable the WLAN antennae on the CPE so your own wireless router can handle WLAN.

Alternatively, if you want to replace the 4G/LTE device altogether, that will be up to what works with your provider. Some cellular providers don’t allow you to use your own CPEs, so you’re stuck with upgrading your device through them directly. Call your ISP to find out.