Rainbow Six Mini-Freezes, can't find cause of CPU render time spike

Awsmaney

Recently I noticed an issue in Rainbow Six where occasionally the game will freeze for a split-second and return to normal. It's not network lag as it is reproduceable in the offline benchmark integrated into the game. When I benchmark the game I see a CPU render time spike at the same time the fps dips, usually 2-5 frames but in reality its much more than that. I have tried everything under the sun trying to fix this and I'm stuck. The frame time jumps from ~8.3 ms to about 9ms or so but a very noticeable freeze occurs at the same time. FPS drops from around 120 to 117 or 118 and then returns to normal. Its not a regular occurrence as far as I can tell. So far I have used DDU to reinstall drivers, checked task manager for any processes running at the same time, did a clean install of windows, set the game as high priority in task manager, played with every graphics setting I can imagine and much more. The only thing I have noticed to stop the stuttering is turning off vsync/gsync but capping the frame rate to a reasonable number causes the spike to return. 

Specs: Ryzen 5 2600, Zotac GTX 1660, MSI b450 Tomahawk, vengeance lpx 3200mhz DDR4 ram. 550w Seasonic gold PSU, NZXT h500i, Crucial mx500 SSD (where the game is installed), Western Digital blue 1tb 7200rpm HDD. Windows 64 bit version 1909 build 18363.1110. Bios version 7C02v1C. 

I'm absolutely stumped on this and at this point I have to believe its the CPU itself or the game. I can take a screen recording if it might help but Im not sure it will show up capturing in 60fps.Thanks for any help. 

Probably some background software

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Probably some background software

I assumed that was the case but I wiped windows and reinstalled with the only software being steam and nvidia control panel. 

23 minutes ago, Awsmaney said:

I assumed that was the case but I wiped windows and reinstalled with the only software being steam and nvidia control panel. 

Can you monitor frametime with msi afterburner with rtss? Make it overlay the game and see if it's flat or spiky, some spikes are ok

Though dropping like 3 fps isn't a big deal is it?

Sure I can do that, however the frame time graph in the in game benchmark shows a very dramatic spike and it’s not really a 3 FPS drop it’s a total freeze for about a half second and then it returns to normal and only displaying a slightly lower frame rate. 

50 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Can you monitor frametime with msi afterburner with rtss? Make it overlay the game and see if it's flat or spiky, some spikes are ok

Though dropping like 3 fps isn't a big deal is it?

Sorry afterburner isn’t showing frametimes for some reason I’ll try to resolve but here are some of the spikes in the in game one. 11B0AB9D-59FD-40BC-A34F-81E18E14E3C0.png.256e2c309faef787ab672955371f32a9.png

4 minutes ago, Awsmaney said:

Sorry afterburner isn’t showing frametimes for some reason I’ll try to resolve but here are the very obvious spikes in the in game one.

oh geez, that's very abnormal

hmm... hows the CPU and GPU temp? did you enable XMP?

i recommend resetting bios, then enable XMP, see how it goes

7 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

oh geez, that's very abnormal

hmm... hows the CPU and GPU temp? did you enable XMP?

i recommend resetting bios, then enable XMP, see how it goes

Temps are fine gpu peaks around 60c, cpu around 58c under load. XMP is enabled, I’m wary of resetting the bios but I think you might be on to something, an error like this shouldn’t survive a full clean install. I’ll try to reset the bios tomorrow, the last time I did i bricked my computer for a couple days so I’m wary of doing it again. Will report back when I do so. 

1 minute ago, Awsmaney said:

the last time I did i bricked my computer for a couple days

if that happens, you can DM me (with phone/other computer), i'll try my best to instruct you on how to get it back

28 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

if that happens, you can DM me (with phone/other computer), i'll try my best to instruct you on how to get it back

Thanks that’s quite kind, last time I didn’t extract the file from the folder all the way and it wouldn’t post so I’ll be sure to not do that again.