Turning off RGB without ripping them out of the fan

Shreyas Tripathy
Go to solution Solved by LogicalDrm,
10 hours ago, narrdarr said:

So just unplug hub from the 12v header if you want no lighting.

That won't work. These are closer to old-style tricolor fans than modern RGB fans. Meaning its single PWM cable for whole fan.

17 hours ago, Shreyas Tripathy said:

No, that's the thing, these don't come with a controller. That's why I mentioned that they have a proprietary 4-pin layout (just a single cable per fan) that goes into an included hub. The hub is just a hub; not a controller, so no buttons or anything.

Its not proprietary connector. Just standard PWM fan connector. Meaning that you don't need to use hub, but also that you can't turn off LEDs. Pro of it vs old style 3pins would be that LEDs don't fade if you speed control fans.

So the answer is, return them. There's no way to turn off LEDs without ripping them off. They probably use same PCB for all so tampering with PCB wouldn't help either.

I have a 3-fan set of Deepcool RF120FS. Now, I know I messed up and didn't notice that these fans have a fixed 3-color RGB setting (light blue, orange, purple).

These fans also have a proprietary pins that goes into a hub provided with the fans. The problem is that these don't come with even an on/off option so I am stuck with these 3 colors for the rest of the RGB elements.

Do you guys have any suggestions for turning these LEDs off without physically ripping them off of the fans?

5 minutes ago, Shreyas Tripathy said:

I have a 3-fan set of Deepcool RF120FS. Now, I know I messed up and didn't notice that these fans have a fixed 3-color RGB setting (light blue, orange, purple).

These fans also have a proprietary pins that goes into a hub provided with the fans. The problem is that these don't come with even an on/off option so I am stuck with these 3 colors for the rest of the RGB elements.

Do you guys have any suggestions for turning these LEDs off without physically ripping them off of the fans?

Normally holding the button down that changes rgb modes turns them off.

you should be able to shut them off depending on the software or the controller

dont the fan have 2 cables. 1 for the controlling the fans 1 the controlling the lighting. just unplug the lighting one from the motherboard.

No, that's the thing, these don't come with a controller. That's why I mentioned that they have a proprietary 4-pin layout (just a single cable per fan) that goes into an included hub. The hub is just a hub; not a controller, so no buttons or anything.
Also, with 3 fans going into one header means it only works with a 12V header on the motherboard. So, that eliminates any chance of a software solution. The MSI board has separate 5V RGB headers which are the only ones that get recognized as lights by the Mystic Light software

10 hours ago, narrdarr said:

So just unplug hub from the 12v header if you want no lighting.

That won't work. These are closer to old-style tricolor fans than modern RGB fans. Meaning its single PWM cable for whole fan.

17 hours ago, Shreyas Tripathy said:

Its not proprietary connector. Just standard PWM fan connector. Meaning that you don't need to use hub, but also that you can't turn off LEDs. Pro of it vs old style 3pins would be that LEDs don't fade if you speed control fans.

So the answer is, return them. There's no way to turn off LEDs without ripping them off. They probably use same PCB for all so tampering with PCB wouldn't help either.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Thanks @LogicalDrm. Yeah, it is a PWM connector. I guess I'll have to live with these (it's been over 2 weeks and the return window is closed) or get a new set. I was so focused on the PWM part of the spec that I didn't notice the fixed lighting.