[SOLVED] GPU listed in device manager but can't be used

UnlameUsername
Go to solution Solved by UnlameUsername,

Alright dues I figured out the problem, I just had a broken cable, which is why no display was coming from the gpu but was still being listed in device manager when i used motherboard graphics. Since I had to use a VGA cable for my motherboard and a HDMI for my gpu i was never able to notice the cable was the thing that broke.

My GT 1030 is listed in device manager but when I plug my monitor into it and turn on my computer i get no display, it jsut uses my mobo graphics. Geforce expereicne and control panel can detect I have one and can install themself but when i try to run them I get an error saying Im not using my gt 1030 (because im not). My computer just decides to use my mobo graphics for no reason and in the BIOS there is no option to disable or enable anything and no gpu is listed but it is listed in device manager

No drivers or updates have fixed it and im going insane from not being able to play games so please help me im using a dell optiplex 990 (sff).

Untitled.png

Edited by UnlameUsername
I solved the issue

Is your display connected to the GT1030's port or to the IO panel for the motherboard?

So this Supermicro X10SLQ Rear IO Ports | ServeTheHome

Or this Basic Computer Operation Tutorial - More on video graphics cards

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

10 minutes ago, Lord Bloobus said:

Is your display connected to the GT1030's port or to the IO panel for the motherboard?

So this Supermicro X10SLQ Rear IO Ports | ServeTheHome

Or this Basic Computer Operation Tutorial - More on video graphics cards

Motherboard but if i plug it into the gpu I get no display, not even the motherboard manfuactor screen displays, but if i chagne it to the motherboard even while the computer is still on i get display meaning the computer is using the motherboard dispaly even when the gpu is connected to my monitor

In bios, system config->miscellaneous devices. Should be a setting there controlling pcie devices

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Just now, Cyracus said:

In bios, system config->miscellaneous devices. Should be a setting there controlling pcie devices

Nothing is in there, it's just an empty box

4 minutes ago, UnlameUsername said:

Motherboard but if i plug it into the gpu I get no display, not even the motherboard manfuactor screen displays, but if i chagne it to the motherboard even while the computer is still on i get display meaning the computer is using the motherboard dispaly even when the gpu is connected to my monitor

If you moved the PC at all recently I'd recommend you open the side and give it a firm push to make sure it's seated firmly. Also there should be a section in the BIOS that says something about the graphics adapter and should be able to select between iGPU and PCIE, you want to make sure PCIE is selected.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Just now, Lord Bloobus said:

If you moved the PC at all recently I'd recommend you open the side and give it a firm push to make sure it's seated firmly. Also there should be a section in the BIOS that says something about the graphics adapter and should be able to select between iGPU and PCIE, you want to make sure PCIE is selected.

There is nothing about graphics in my BIOS, and i've resetted my gpu numerous times, it even shows in device manager but for some reason my motherboard doesn't use it

Just now, UnlameUsername said:

There is nothing about graphics in my BIOS, and i've resetted my gpu numerous times, it even shows in device manager but for some reason my motherboard doesn't use it

Try installing MSI Afterburner and give a screenshot of what it shows, I'm not sure if it works with GT cards but it might show something abnormal. Then I would try uninstalling the GT 1030 from Device Manager and restarting the PC. That might help it grab default settings in case something went wrong.

3 minutes ago, UnlameUsername said:

try to install the "pci serial port" under "other devices" in device manager, try chipset driver's from dell if you can't install them automatically. might fix the issue since it has to do with pci

37 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

try to install the "pci serial port" under "other devices" in device manager, try chipset driver's from dell if you can't install them automatically. might fix the issue since it has to do with pci

Good catch, I just naturally dismissed it when it said serial and missed the PCI part. That might actually be the solution.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright dues I figured out the problem, I just had a broken cable, which is why no display was coming from the gpu but was still being listed in device manager when i used motherboard graphics. Since I had to use a VGA cable for my motherboard and a HDMI for my gpu i was never able to notice the cable was the thing that broke.