Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HumdrumPenguin

Return your RTX 3080 while you can

Posted · Original PosterOP

Aside from the FE and Asus models, all other RTX 3080 cards seem to be consistently crashing at 2000Mhz+ core clock speed. Actually, people here in the forum are already complained about crashes on the FE model. To add salt to the injury, a leak from the GALAX roadmap shows that a 3080 with 20gb VRAM is coming, and likely very soon (as well as a RTX 3060).

Now... ask yourself, once these cards are out, how much do you think your 10gb model will be worth? Not to mention that it will be bottlenecking your card's raw power rather sooner than later. The new consoles are raising the graphical bar, so don't go expecting to be safe with 8-10gb VRAM, because you won't be. It's the 1060 3gb and 6gb dilemma all over again. Thinking that you may need the extra VRAM more in 2 ore 3 years only, once 4000 series are released, is just wrong, because you shouldn't buy a product and expect it to be good for just a couple years. 

Also, for all of you who say that the card is good enough, I tell you this: you don't buy a high end product to settle for good enough. And hey, the RTX 3080 is not even that.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/galaxs-leaked-roadmap-shows-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3060/

10gb has been shown to be enough for games for the foreseeable future many times. as for the 20gb versions, i still dont understand why theyre going to exist because A) 10gb is enough for games and B) a 20gb card will cut into 3090 sales very hard. even then, its unlikely these cards will be priced the same as the 10gb on launch, unless amd forces them to cut costs in which case it doesnt matter whether that there were 20gb versions coming out anyways, the 3080 will lose value either way in that situation. seems like people want the 3080 to solve world hunger or something, its a good card at a normal price point with some first batch issues which have plagued basically every gpu launch. 

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

11 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

once these cards are out, how much do you think your 10gb model will be worth?

depending on their price and overall availability, maybe higher than MSRP

covid sure drove up my 2070 super's 2nd hand price, higher than my purchasing price.

The new consoles are raising the graphical bar, so don't go expecting to be safe with 8-10gb VRAM, because you won't be.

sooo.... is turning down graphic settings not an option anymore or am i missing something?

don't give me the BS about "i paid for it", you paid for the GPU, not for the promise that it can run everything at max settings

you don't buy a high end product to settle for good enough. And hey, the RTX 3080 is not even that.

you're right, that's why the 3090 has 24gb of vram

Things I need help with: *new* What can Facebook do to me? Privacy Inquiries

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

6 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

10gb has been shown to be enough for games for the foreseeable future many times. as for the 20gb versions, i still dont understand why theyre going to exist because A) 10gb is enough for games and B) a 20gb card will cut into 3090 sales very hard. even then, its unlikely these cards will be priced the same as the 10gb on launch, unless amd forces them to cut costs in which case it doesnt matter whether that there were 20gb versions coming out anyways, the 3080 will lose value either way in that situation. seems like people want the 3080 to solve world hunger or something, its a good card at a normal price point with some first batch issues which have plagued basically every gpu launch. 

Even at 200 dollars more, which I don't think will be the case, that's a no brainer to me. The first batch issue is a given, that I agree. Beta testers First buyers are there for it.

5 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

depending on their price and overall availability, maybe higher than MSRP

covid sure drove up my 2070 super's 2nd hand price, higher than my purchasing price.

sooo.... is turning down graphic settings not an option anymore or am i missing something?

don't give me the BS about "i paid for it", you paid for the GPU, not for the promise that it can run everything at max settings

Once all cards are "buyable" and everything in the market is stabilized, nobody will care for the 10gb model. And having to lower down graphics not because of the card can't handle it, but for lack of VRAM, is just bad. There's no other way to put it, and NVIDIA knows it very well, or they wouldn't already have a 20gb version on the horizon.

About the 3090, I'm with you there. I totally don't mind people buying it, not because of bad price for performance, but just because it's the only one I'd consider right now, even though there's more VRAM that I'll ever use before switching to another card.

21 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Now... ask yourself, once these cards are out, how much do you think your 10gb model will be worth? 

around the price that i would have bought it. maybe a little less or a little more.

i dont get the point of this thread. 

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

Yes! Everyone return your GPUs! Then I can get a refurbished 3080 for only $600! MUAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

2 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

around the price that i would have bought it. maybe a little less or a little more.

Er...to ask people to return an incomplete product, so NVIDIA drop the bullshit next time?

29 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

i'm waiting for better pcb and better bins on the 3090, the 3080 problems is bad enough for a return, worst, you undervolt it, take a 5% cut and save  on the power bills. I can see ppl that get annoyed by the problem and return it regardless.

Anyone who buys the cheaper models know what they are getting into (personally wouldn't), but this isn't nearly as bad as the turing alien invaders.

Regarding the 3080 launch in general, it's a very good but gimped card, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend certain models if someone's doing a new build.

9900k 1.32v max 1.26v avx 5.1ghz-1avx 4.8 cache 95C 175w 1.05v 4.4ghz 95w 55C R20/blender temps ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 2x8gb 16-16-16-34-280-24 ddr3866  bdie 1.42v dram 1.22v io/sa (anything higher needs more voltage on all (dram/io/sa) ll EVGA 2080 ti XC 1995//7600 power limited 79C max, stock voltage (bad ocer) ll 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA G2 1300w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA272w (movie, work mon) 2k60 14bit lut ll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98)

old rig 8600k d15 evga 1080 ti hybrid  z370 extreme 4 2x8gb ddr3000 512gb nvme evo+ 860 evo 500gb raid 0 evga p2 1000w 

15 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Once all cards are "buyable" and everything in the market is stabilized, nobody will care for the 10gb model.

need some crystal ball for that because

1) we dont know if the 20gb are even launching

2) we dont know when they're launching, if it's soon then i dont see it or the 10gb being available anytime soon

15 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

And having to lower down graphics not because of the card can't handle it, but for lack of VRAM, is just bad.

isnt lack of vram = card cant handle it? they're the same thing no?

9 minutes ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Er...to ask people to return an incomplete product, so NVIDIA drop the bullshit next time?

for the wrong reason

people should return it because it's a shit show now

we don't even truly know what's wrong yet, though the capacitor is a good speculation with theories to back it up.

and how AIB are mis-advertising their cards with false capacitor layout photos, some of the model even have different capacitor config among itself, so it's the luck of the draw

Spoiler

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Acer monitors, Gigabyte, Seagate HDD, Kingston SSD, Razer (except their mouse), XiaoMi Phones

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

20 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

I get what you mean but nvidia claimed the 3080 as being "2x faster" and for a gpu that sells for $800 because good luck getting one close to msrp, i think the high end gpu should be capable of running max settings. 

20 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

The 3090 makes no sense as a gaming card, the 3080 would've been better as a 12gb card, IMO.

Just now, Blademaster91 said:

nvidia claimed the 3080 as being "2x faster"

Only in raytracing with DLSS on, only in certain games, and only when compared to the RTX 2080 non-Super. Individual components of the GPU were promoted as "2.4x", but those are only specific parts of the card, not all of it. The "1.9x" was specified as a performance per-watt increase at 240W, not at the card's functional wattage.

4 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

i think the high end gpu should be capable of running max settings. 

And it currently is, apart from 8K. Since it's not the highest-end, it's not doing the 8K well. (though it is technically capable of it)

5 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

the 3080 would've been better as a 12gb card, IMO.

That appears to have been their original intent, but chip yields were too low to be able to handle it.

CPURyzen 5 3600 Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-36 MoboASRock X570M Pro4

Graphics Card: ASRock Reference RX 5700 XT Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M Monitor: MSI Optix MAG241C Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM

Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, HP EX900 1TB NVMe, dual Constellation ES 2GB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

8 minutes ago, Blademaster91 said:

The 3090 makes no sense as a gaming card

why? just because you dont think it's worth it doesnt mean others wont

just look at the queue for it

or 2080Ti sales.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

why? just because you dont think it's worth it doesnt mean others wont

just look at the queue for it

or 2080Ti sales.

Because you won't be using 24gb on games in a good while. It also lacks features that you need when working with 3d rendering, so it's a weird card in the end.

1 minute ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Because you won't be using 24gb on games in a good while

so, why wouldnt that make sense in gaming? does having more vram hurt performance?

technically yes, more bits = more chance to go wrong = more correcting needed = more processing but like this isn't even noticeable

Spoiler

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

Aside from the FE and Asus models, all other RTX 3080 cards seem to be consistently crashing at 2000Mhz+ core clock speed. Actually, people here in the forum are already complained about crashes on the FE model. To add salt to the injury, a leak from the GALAX roadmap shows that a 3080 with 20gb VRAM is coming, and likely very soon (as well as a RTX 3060).

Now... ask yourself, once these cards are out, how much do you think your 10gb model will be worth? Not to mention that it will be bottlenecking your card's raw power rather sooner than later. The new consoles are raising the graphical bar, so don't go expecting to be safe with 8-10gb VRAM, because you won't be. It's the 1060 3gb and 6gb dilemma all over again. Thinking that you may need the extra VRAM more in 2 ore 3 years only, once 4000 series are released, is just wrong, because you shouldn't buy a product and expect it to be good for just a couple years. 

Also, for all of you who say that the card is good enough, I tell you this: you don't buy a high end product to settle for good enough. And hey, the RTX 3080 is not even that.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/joao-silva/galaxs-leaked-roadmap-shows-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3060/

How much gb do the consoles have available for vram?

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 56 Vega RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 2x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4K 60hz 34-60 freesync 10bit IPS.

1 minute ago, LOST TALE said:

How much gb do the consoles have available for vram?

16gb of shared ram and vram if I remember right. My point here is that every time a console launches, games start getting much heavier and better looking on PC. It's been like that for years.

1 hour ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

just cuz you may be salty you didn't get one doesn't mean you can force everyone else to get rid of theirs.

its not right to ask people to do this unless you are the proper authority. The most you can do is make a statment and declare reasons for returning it.

this post isnt right. you have no power over others

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I'd be more interested in updated models in that they will be more robust/fixed problems that exist on the current ones, than the memory size increase.

My System: i7-8700k 5.0ghz All-core delidded @1.375v // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // Gigabyte Aorus Z370 Gaming 5 // 32GB (4x8) Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II // Corsair 275R Airflow // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // Intel 660P 1TB NVME M.2 SSD/1TB Samsung 860 EVO/512GB Silicon Power A55/1TB 2.5" HGST HDD/2TB Seagate Barracuda // Displays: AOC AGON AG241QX/Lenovo L24Q-30/Lenovo L24Q-30 // Razer Black Widow TE Chroma - Logitech G502 // Corsair H70 Gaming Headset

Wife's System: i7-8700 // Arctic Freezer 33 // Gigabyte Z390M Gaming // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // Sapphire Vega 64 // NZXT S340 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w // 1TB Samsung 860 EVO/4TB Western Digital HDD // Displays: ASUS VG248QE/ASUS VG245H/ASUS VP248Q // Corsair K68 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G602 // LG BDRW // NexStar 5.25" USB 3 Enclosure

TV Gamer: Ryzen 5 1600 3.9ghz All-core @1.39v // Wraith PRISM // Gigabyte B450 Aorus M // 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 // XFX Radeon RX 580 8GB XXX Edition // Thermaltake Versa H17 // Corsair Vengeance Silver 650W // 120GB Sandisk SSD/120GB PNY CS900/4TB Western Digital Blue // Display: 50" Westinghouse 1080p // Rii Wireless Mini Keyboard w/Touchpad/Xbox One Controllers

Son's System: i5-9400 // Cryorig H7 Quad Lumi // ASRock Z370 Extreme 4 // 16GB GeIL Potenza DDR 3200 // ASUS RX 570 4GB OC // NZXT S340 Black // Seasonic S12II 620w Bronze // 525GB Crucial MX300/500GB Wester Digital Blue // Display: Dell P2417H - Eagletech KG010 Mechanical Keyboard // Logitech G203

Daughter's System: i3-8350k // Cooler Master i71c // MSI H310M Pro VDH-Plus // 16GB T-Force Vulkan 2666 (2400) // Zotac GTX 1060 3GB Mini // DarkFlash Micro ATX White // Corsair CX550 // 480GB PNY CS1311 SSD // Display: Scepter 20" 1080p - Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

3 minutes ago, Mister Woof said:

than the memory size increase.

yea, who needs more than 8gb vram at 1080p

"who needs a 3070 at 1080p"

my response:

Spoiler

image.png.69f36c8e751f6b268a10d03c05e60633.png

Spoiler

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

People who need more than 8-10GB of VRAM are probably not even looking at the 3080 or lower, since driving that much needs a pretty dedicated application. Some edge cases like lone developers might be in the category, but the average gamer does not need the extra besides flexing peen because they couldn't afford to flex a 3090.

CPU: i5-6600k 4.64GHz | GPU: Heckin' 1080 @2.0GHz | Mobo: Asus Z board | RAM: Pair of 8GB Dominator Plats | PSU: EVGA 750G+ | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

12 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

just cuz you may be salty you didn't get one doesn't mean you can force everyone else to get rid of theirs.

its not right to ask people to do this unless you are the proper authority. The most you can do is make a statment and declare reasons for returning it.

this post isnt right. you have no power over others

I didn't try to get any of the cards, as they don't make sense to me. You are just assuming things. And who said anything about forcing people to do something?

1 hour ago, eeeee1 said:

Same here... ;)

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair HXi 850W Platinum. 

lmao i didnt even say you DID i said you Might have. and i never said you were forcing. you WERE asking but still in my eyes, this still isnt right. you cant just ask or even demand that people return what products they bought

PC specs:

Corsair H100i platinum

RTX 2060

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

3 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

lmao i didnt even say you DID i said you Might have. and i never said you were forcing. you WERE asking but still in my eyes, this still isnt right. you cant just ask or even demand that people return what products they bought

I didn't actually ask anything on the post, although I wrongly mentioned it in one of the answers. The idea is really to bring awareness to a problem. This is my last answer here, since people clearly don't care. 

2 hours ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

I didn't actually ask anything on the post, although I wrongly mentioned it in one of the answers. The idea is really to bring awareness to a problem. This is my last answer here, since people clearly don't care. 

bye :)