Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zdemigod

Got around 100-300 USD what should I buy?

I really like my setup it's passive and is under you budget should total to $250 it's a topping pa3 and a micca rb42 it's a v shaped sounding speaker kinda hefty but also small just dense good amount of bass for the size of it so a sub is not necessary. You can sub the micca rb 42 for a pair of Sony sscs5 or  fluance sx6 xl7s but all are bigger than the micca. Other ones active wise to look at are edifiers they are pretty worth the cash generally. iloud micros are impressive for the price but kinda ugly. The Kanto yu2 and yu4

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello everyone, I want a speaker setup for my PC and TV (doesn't have to be both at the same time). I asked on other places and I was recommended to go with a passive speaker and amp instead of a normal PC speaker for a better experience, then i was recommended to replace the amp for an AVR. I am extremely new in this area and More than insane sound quality I want something decent that will last me for a while. My budget was originally around 100 USD but If i can buy something that lasts longer I am willing to go up to 300 USD. I can only buy things on amazon and ebay though as I am not American but I can shop at the American Amazon/Ebay thanks to a service I use. 

- I don't have any particular preference between the passive vs active format, I rather not upgrade in a long time.

- This is mostly for my computer, TV is just a nice thing if possible  

- I would like it if it was not super heavy, weight is expensive in international shipping even if I have an US address

- I'm not interested in a DAC as I keep reading the PC will handle that part well. 

Thanks in advance for any help. 

Posted · Best Answer

I really like my setup it's passive and is under you budget should total to $250 it's a topping pa3 and a micca rb42 it's a v shaped sounding speaker kinda hefty but also small just dense good amount of bass for the size of it so a sub is not necessary. You can sub the micca rb 42 for a pair of Sony sscs5 or  fluance sx6 xl7s but all are bigger than the micca. Other ones active wise to look at are edifiers they are pretty worth the cash generally. iloud micros are impressive for the price but kinda ugly. The Kanto yu2 and yu4

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

Storage:x1 280 gb kingston ssd x1 1tb WD blue hdd x1 2tb seagate barraccuda 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! dark rock pro 4Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

Speaker Setup: Topping PA3--->Micca RB42

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

AKG y50bt,Sennheiser HD 4.40

37 minutes ago, rice guru said:

I was already looking at the MB42X I guess these are similar but better. I do have a question about the amp. I bet these don't come with cables so what cables total do I need to get the whole setup running? I bet both the amps and speakers come with their power cords but something tells me that's about it. I also looked at this amp that seems to be going for 75 USD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GWVHHN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATV3LXZ3ZXOW8&psc=1. Should I go with that and save me 25 bucks (I saw it in another thread)

4 hours ago, zdemigod said:

I'm not interested in a DAC as I keep reading the PC will handle that part well. 

Maybe, but external DACs often add a bit of versatility which may be handy if you want to connect to PC and TV at the same time. For example you could add this https://www.amazon.com/Fosi-Audio-Headphone-Digital-Analog/dp/B07VDQQY95 to the set up above and have the PC connected over USB and the TV on optical and easily switch between.

7 minutes ago, zdemigod said:

I was already looking at the MB42X I guess these are similar but better. I do have a question about the amp. I bet these don't come with cables so what cables total do I need to get the whole setup running? I bet both the amps and speakers come with their power cords but something tells me that's about it. I also looked at this amp that seems to be going for 75 USD https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B077GWVHHN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATV3LXZ3ZXOW8&psc=1. Should I go with that and save me 25 bucks (I saw it in another thread)

the speakers dont come wwith any cables the amp comes with a power cable and works grea these are the cables I use. thttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ5HCTM?tag=camelproducts-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US in regards to that amp I dont see why not. it has more power per channel adso power wise its better than the topping  looks fine but Ive never heard it but seems to be revieed well Ive never really tried any of fosi aduio's gear though so I cant really endorse them myself yu would also need a 3.5 mm to rca cabe if you want to plug it into your pc

***FEEL FREE TO DM ME QUESTIONS ABOUT MY GEAR IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS OR JUST CURIOUS***

CPU : ryzen 3600x  Motherboard: msi mag b550 tomahawk RAM:16 GB ddr4 corsair lpx GPU: gtx 1070 6gb Case:phanteks p400 

PSU:650 GQ Cooling:be quite! dark rock pro 4Keyboard:ducky one 2 rgb full sized Mouse:G502, Model o Operating System:win 10

Desktop audio gear: topping d10 --->  monolith Cavelli Liquid Spark---> Beyerdynamic dt 990 , Sennheiser Hd 58x, Hifiman HE4xx, AKG k240, AKG k52

My portable setup: fiio Q1 mk2, fiio ubtr, fiio btr1k,fiio btr5---> whatever bud or IEM Im feeling that day

17 minutes ago, rice guru said:

the speakers dont come wwith any cables the amp comes with a power cable and works grea these are the cables I use. thttps://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ5HCTM?tag=camelproducts-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1&language=en_US in regards to that amp I dont see why not. it has more power per channel adso power wise its better than the topping  looks fine but Ive never heard it but seems to be revieed well Ive never really tried any of fosi aduio's gear though so I cant really endorse them myself yu would also need a 3.5 mm to rca cabe if you want to plug it into your pc

Do I need any specific quality cable for the adapter from rca to 3.5mm or will anything do? Also out of curiosity if I ever do decide to add a sub how does that work? Would I need another amp with aux input? 

basics cable should be enough. you can send more if you want butits really not nessecary the amazon basics rca cables are built well adn re pretty good quality for the price and should be more than what most people need you can just patch in a signal cable either split the signal from your pc or do high level output so you basically take the signal part fo the active subwoofer adn sonnect it to the apeaker amp thiw way you can control the volume as well. its not very hard to do just look up how to do high level output for subwoofer adn is generally the preferred way to do so

1 minute ago, rice guru said:

no you can just patch in a signal cable either split the signal from your pc or do high level output so you basically take the signal part fo the active subwoofer adn sonnect it to the apeaker amp thiw way you can control the volume as well. its not very hard to do just look up how to do high level output for subwoofer adn is generally the preferred way to do so

Got it, thanks for all the info.

Speakers can connect with just bare wire, no connectors needed. The amp and the speaker will have either spring clips or a screw down binding posts. You could get the terminated wires rice posted,  But something like this will work just as well https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-16-Gauge-Audio-Stereo-Speaker/dp/B006LW0WDQ You need to cut the wire yourself and strip a quarter inch off the end, but you can make the exact length you need and it's much cheaper.