Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Ma__ga

Need advice on new PSU

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, I just join the community (short time lurker) and wonder if I can get some advice on getting a new PSU since the one I'm using is failing (shut down when load ~200w, crash on games).

I already read like 80 pages of the PSU tierlist above and have a good idea of what I want, but my market it's pretty lousy, and so i need a little help deciding what to get.

- Region: Mexico
- Climate: +45°C on summer (have air conditioner, not always on)

- Some options ($1 US DLS = $ 22.75 MX):

• Gigabyte GP-P650B ~$ 1,500 (3 year garanty, no OTP)
  • Gigabyte B700H ~1,800 (no stock)
  • Gigabyte G750H ~2,800 (no stock)
  • XPG Core Reactor 650 - 750 ~$2,200 (no stock) (Primary target, I can wait a week or so for it)

Corsair and seasonic normally are overpriced (+$ 3,500 for low tier ones), thermaltake and cooler master doesn't seem to have good ones available and the rest of the list don't have warranty over here, and don't feel like buying another EVGA (will do if it the best option).

- Setup:

• EVGA Supernova 750 B2, 80+ Bronze (Failing, 4 years of use)
  • Ryzen 5 2600X @ Stock
  • GTX 1060 3G
  • 2 x 8gb @ 3200
  • 1 x SSD
  • 1 x HDD
  • 4 x Fans
  • 1 x USB Audio Interface
  • 2 Monitors

- Upgrade/Changes on the near future:

• RX 580 8G or
  • RTX 2080
  • 2 x 8g @ 3200
  • M.2 PCIe 3.0
  • +1 HDD

Online store (some):

The XPG Core Reactor for ~98 USD is a good deal IMO. As for your future upgrades, the RX 580 is kind of a side grade from the 1060, though the 8GB would help depending on the resolution, so I'd recommend the 2080 if anyhting (depending on the price for it, of course.)

Also how do you know the B2 is failing?

CPU: Intel® Core™ i9-9900K Processor  Motherboard: ASRock Phantom Gaming 4-CB  CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2  GPU: Asus Dual OC 2080  RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB (4x8GB) 3000Mhz CL15

Case: CyberpowerPC Onyxia (Proprietary Thermaltake View 21, side intake, not front)  PSU: ATNG 800w 80+ Bronze (replacing when shortage is over) Storage: 1TB Western Digital Blue 3D + 1TB Crucial P1 + 1TB ADATA XPG Gammix S11 Pro + 4TB Seagate Barracuda 5400RPM OS: Windows 10 Home

Headphones: Philips SHP9500s   Keyboard: Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Cherry MX Red  Displays: Acer XG270HU (27" 1440p 144hz TN), Samsung UN32EH4003FXZA (32" 768p 60hz TV)

I hope the Core Reactor get stock soon, the RX 580 i already have it brand new, but not using it, a friend have a 2080 and planning to move to the 3000 series, so i might not use the RX 580 on my pc.

About the failing PSU, since March(?) i been having sudden restart, first once a month, then once every 15 days, then sooner and sooner, it was kind of random (wasn't paying attention), until i start playing Horizon Dawn Zero that the reboot & crash to desktop become very often. About two weeks ago the PSU sometimes start doing this weird high pitch noise (like wine coil, but louder) when it was about to reboot or crash, so i decide to check with OCCT, the "PSU test", and within 2 seconds have an instant reboot, the PC was a little dusty, i clean it and ran the test again, it lasted almost 1 minute then reboot.

After that i decided to disable the cpu boots and cap the it on the BIOS (vcore offset -0.05, PPT 90 | TDC 80 | EDC 100) and cap the GPU on MSI afterburn (50% powerlimit), at first I could play HDZ again, but then it didn't want even that, so....i'm here. If the system load around 180w it crash (CPU ~65w + GPU ~70-90w + rest of the system).

7 minutes ago, Imannudein said:

How about Aorus P850W? 

From $ 2,900 to $ 3,600 and out of stock.