I've wanted this for years.. (SPONSORED)

JonoT

Linus' bathroom is pretty much the only room in his house that doesn't have a gaming PC in it...until now. After this long-awaited upgrade, Linus will be able to watch Netflix and play games from the comfort of his bathtub- at 4K thanks to a new RTX 3080!

Thanks to ASUS TUF and Crucial for sponsoring this video! Check out the TUF 3080 at https://lmg.gg/kQRUd or TUF 3080 OC edition at https://lmg.gg/XduQ4

Check out the Crucial Gaming products at https://crucial.gg/LTT-speed

Buy the TUF 3080

On Amazon (PAID Link): https://geni.us/8S6TcPm

On Newegg (PAID Link): https://geni.us/FNNZ

On Memory Express: https://lmg.gg/Kg2qu

On Newegg CA (PAID Link): https://geni.us/J1ZIUX

On Canada Computers: https://lmg.gg/AwIgo

Buy the TUF 3080 OC Edition

On Amazon (PAID Link): https://geni.us/TJNu

On Newegg (PAID Link): https://geni.us/rpcJ3l

On Memory Express: https://lmg.gg/eI1gu

On Newegg CA (PAID Link): https://geni.us/OcWfo

On Canada Computers: https://lmg.gg/AIaK9

Purchases made through some store links may provide some compensation to Linus Media Group.

Couldn't help myself once I saw that thumbnail

Spoiler

linus.thumb.jpg.bb72ae04071a5f8bef5e1afa0a4ae8a0.jpg

Have fun

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Me when I get out of the Linus Tech Tub after "one match"

3eowxp.jpg

Just here for some fun.

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

PC Build 1: Great Ape (Main Rig) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/nKjHGX

CPU: Ryzen 3700X

GPU: ASUS GTX 1070Ti 8GB ROG STRIX
PSU: SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Platinum 750 W

Mobo: MSI MPG B550 GAMING CARBON WIFI

Case: Corsair 4000D

PC Build 2: Piccolo (Emulation/ITX/Transportable) > https://pcpartpicker.com/user/DJ_saiyanprince/saved/tDBdHx

CPU: Intel i5-11400

GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 3GB SC
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA GM 550 W

Mobo: ASRock Z590M-ITX/ax

Case: Silverstone RVZ03

✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦✦

♪♫ "2-to the-1-to the-1-to the-3 I like good OC and RGB. Configure so much, you wouldn't believe. And I get more blue screen than a Walmart PC" ♪♫

If I could get over my fear of electronics falling into the water while still being plugged in, that would actually be pretty enjoyable

Also, you're going to have to refill every half hour or so because the water is  going to get colder

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Maybe, just maybe you didn't get a sponsor for 3 years because it is a potential electrocution risk that could kill you in a instant despite any electrical safety things you use to protect yourself since water + electricity = don't ever mix? Like you do realize that, that is a REALLY bad idea and no one has done this except for bit but his is on the wall on the other side of a toilet because no one wants to die from being electrocuted to death, but you know, that's just the sane and smart side of me talking to you linus, because no one in their right mind would ever dare to attempt this with the fact your putting yourself at a like, 50/50 or 60-80/40-20% chance of dying. 

Watching this, all I could think about was Jim Bowen's gag about getting in the bath xD 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 hours ago, Alaura said:

Maybe, just maybe you didn't get a sponsor for 3 years because it is a potential electrocution risk ....

...and he's not the only one in that house which is why I'd not be surprised if there is a video somewhere about a waterproof TV or how they could make the TV water resistant.  

That said IF I wasn't very happy with my computer setup and was looking to build new I would consider ASUS TUF for doing so.  Gaming hardware is often just this side of the professional grade productivity hardware but cheaper by a lot. 

On a lighter note Linus's evolution to the Simpsons predicted supervillain we all know he's going to be is continuing apace.  When Linus is 50 this'll be him.  The part at 1:08 I'd wager is pretty close to what Mr Name on the building would say about being the boss. 

1 hour ago, Alaura said:

Maybe, just maybe you didn't get a sponsor for 3 years because it is a potential electrocution risk that could kill you in a instant despite any electrical safety things you use to protect yourself since water + electricity = don't ever mix? Like you do realize that, that is a REALLY bad idea and no one has done this except for bit but his is on the wall on the other side of a toilet because no one wants to die from being electrocuted to death, but you know, that's just the sane and smart side of me talking to you linus, because no one in their right mind would ever dare to attempt this with the fact your putting yourself at a like, 50/50 or 60-80/40-20% chance of dying. 

Quite the passionate speech you have going there.
But hate to burst your bubble.

Ground fault interrupters are a thing. They will sense that the mains power is skittering off via a grounded path, be it the house plumbing, or the earth wire in the electrical cords/outlets themselves. And when sensing this, they will disconnect the power, something that they are rated to do quick enough to ensure that it becomes practically infeasible for one to electrocute oneself. (There is the one in a million that the GFI doesn't work, and that is why one should test it occasionally. (They have a test button for a reason))

So the actual risk is honestly rather small.

That wood bar for the peripherals looks dangerous, for the peripherals. You bump the bottom side with your knee and now your keyboard is in the tub and wet. You gotta find some way to either have a removable but still mountable board. Also I hope the headphones are on a wall mounted hook instead because those will almost certainly have water damage. 

Fuck you scalpers, fuck you scammers, fuck all of you jerks that charge way too much to tech-illiterate people. 

Unless I say I am speaking from experience or can confirm my expertise, assume it is an educated guess.

Current setup: Ryzen 5 3600, MSI MPG B550, 2x8GB DDR4-3200, RX 5600 XT (+120 core, +320 Mem), 1TB WD SN550, 1TB Team MP33, 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute, 500GB Samsung 860 Evo, Corsair 4000D Airflow, 650W 80+ Gold. Razer peripherals. 

Also have a Alienware Alpha R1: i3-4170T, GTX 860M (≈ a 750 Ti). 2x4GB DDR3L-1600, Crucial MX500

My past and current projects: VR Flight Sim: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=dG38Jx (Done!)

A do it all server for educational use: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=vmmNcf (Cancelled)

Replacement of my friend's PC nicknamed Donkey, going from 2nd gen i5 to Zen+ R5: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/nathanpete/saved/#view=WmsW4D (Done!)

there are a lot of things that i didn't like on that video...
At first as stereotypical Americans, they ll use masks for face, but still walking with shoes everywhere, also the only placethat can be without electronics.... has a TV now
There is an overkill PC... just stored somewhere for 5 mins/ day, a huge TV on the worst enviroment a tv wants to be in, lots of electronics so close to water.
Anyway i jkust wanted to talk to some1 :D

3 minutes ago, PeachGr said:

At first as stereotypical Americans, they ll use masks for face, but still walking with shoes everywhere, also the only placethat can be without electronics.... has a TV now
There is an overkill PC... just stored somewhere for 5 mins/ day, a huge TV on the worst enviroment a tv wants to be in, lots of electronics so close to water.
Anyway i jkust wanted to talk to some1 :D

I think you're off with the mask stereotype. The exact opposite really. I also don't know anyone who wears shoes inside..

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, Voluspa said:

I think you're off with the mask stereotype. The exact opposite really. I also don't know anyone who wears shoes inside..

oh jsut see literaly any American movie or series!

They wear shoes inside and that drives me crazy everytime.

I see too many things going south here very quickly. Even if you conformal coat the mouse and keyboard PCB you are still touching them with damp hands, meaning water will get in with no way to get out. You're going to have to drill drain holes for the liquid to escape or seal the thing entirely which on a keyboard is impossible. The last thing you want is MOULD growing inside your keyboard/mouse.

Is that TV mount made from aluminum or steel? If it's steel you better hope it has rust protection. Even down to the the nuts/bolt/screws used to hold it all together.

Wet hands are also going to be an issue with the headset since you cannot waterproof the part where the sound comes out for obvious reasons.

And even with conformal coating. anything with a rechargeable battery in it dropped in the water will be toast. 5V and 12V won't kill you, but a 48V pack is FAR more dangerous.

Good luck as well for that TV lasting more than 6 months in that steam. Now if you were Producer Michael type of rich you could install a glass panel in the wall and mount the TV behind it away from the water/heat/steam. Marine grade speakers can be used in place of a sound bar. The biggest reason to just avoid the bathroom altogether is condensation from temperature variation - that kind of damage will get into places you cannot protect like HDMI ports, charging ports and other openings that need ventilation (dry air) to work.

4 hours ago, Luscious said:

IGood luck as well for that TV lasting more than 6 months in that steam. Now if you were Producer Michael type of rich you could install a glass panel in the wall and mount the TV behind it away from the water/heat/steam. Marine grade speakers can be used in place of a sound bar. The biggest reason to just avoid the bathroom altogether is condensation from temperature variation - that kind of damage will get into places you cannot protect like HDMI ports, charging ports and other openings that need ventilation (dry air) to work.

The TV is going to be fine for its entire lifespan. The mount will last at least 20, probably 50 years before rust becomes an issue. I did this stuff a decade ago with a hot tub.

There will be issues though with the mouse and keyboard and wet hands. The mouse and keyboard require silicone jackets (or go with a special dishwasher-safe anti-microbial medical mouse) otherwise the second you get water down a cavity, you're going to get misclicks, stuck keys abounds until you dry it out (and maybe not even until the contacts are cleaned depending upon soap concentration in the water).

That being said, despite this being an amazing video the debbie downers are right that more TLC should have put into the safety features associated with this, such as showing the GFCIi as well as testing it. Also making sure the power cable from the TV cannot physically impact the water if it comes free would help. While TVs generally don't just have their power cables fall out, repeated impacts of raising and lowering the mount are problematic. Coating the TV's capacitors with a layer of sealant as well would be a good move but the TV over the water is... I dunno man... it's almost surely never going to fall but its something I would personally never do. Those capacitors are charged up to hundreds and hundreds of volts to power the LED array (6V*10*6=360V and that's just with 60 zones. I know it takes current to injure and I've been shocked by hundreds of volts in a charger before and been fine but it was no fun.) Overall a "do not try this at home" would be a decent legal blanket (I can't remember if it has one or not). And I'm really surprised Brian didn't spend more time on camera for this one. It seems like all the really important questions for him happened off-camera and/or out of the edit.

I mean, it's no surprise a sponsor didn't come forward for this sooner. This video will be up in perpetuity as an injury and liability risk, and I wouldn't be surprised if ASUS re-examines it and requests a takedown. 99.999999999% of people will be fine viewers, but it's that one person you need to worry about. Out of the millions of people to eventually watch this, there is going to be a percentage of a percentage of a percentage who thinks its a great idea, doesn't realize the safety measures they need to take, will perform a similar operation, and will do it poorly. Will it take a million views to reach that person, or five million, or fifty million? I don't know, but this video in its current state didn't really do enough in my opinion to either curb or educate that person from performing an operation from ignorance. To be sure this wasn't a "how to do it yourself!" video and I'm sure you don't want it to be, but the rather blasé attitude towards safety compared to prior Brian videos was.... ...  ... ...shocking. In any case, might want to talk to Jon about the final video. He'd know more about this sort of thing.

Linus, if you ever worry about your height, just remember that y’all people would have a much harder time recreating the beautiful experience that is your tub system. At 185cm, a significant number of tubs would require me to do tub yoga to lay down on them, and that is never fun. I love the setup, don’t listen to all the nervous nellies griping about it. Once I saw Brian was there, I knew he would set things up so it would be virtually impossible to electrocute yourself.

2 hours ago, PeachGr said:

oh jsut see literaly any American movie or series!

They wear shoes inside and that drives me crazy everytime.

If we're going off stereotypes in TV shows and movies, I guess everyone in Greece wears robes and has long, curly beards.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

9 hours ago, PeachGr said:

At first as stereotypical Americans, they ll use masks for face, but still walking with shoes everywhere

They are Canadian I believe 

9 hours ago, PeachGr said:

Merged with the official thread for the bathroom rig video. LTT post threads for most of their videos in the LTT Official forum, if you would like to discuss a video please check for a post about the video there.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

55 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

They are Canadian I believe 

I know it's probably racistic, they will always be there North state of USA. 

Several different computers across the house isn't ideal. Is it possible to remotely switch the Thunderbolt extenders to different stations? Linus could use his computer in the bathtub, in the living room or in his office and wouldn't need a seperate computer for every room.

19 hours ago, Alaura said:

it is a potential electrocution risk that could kill you in a instant despite any electrical safety things you use to protect yourself since water + electricity = don't ever mix?

Thats why I got this:
dell_7212_rugged_extreme_tablet_ice_710_

From AT. :x

18 hours ago, Nystemy said:

Quite the passionate speech you have going there.
But hate to burst your bubble.

Ground fault interrupters are a thing. They will sense that the mains power is skittering off via a grounded path, be it the house plumbing, or the earth wire in the electrical cords/outlets themselves. And when sensing this, they will disconnect the power, something that they are rated to do quick enough to ensure that it becomes practically infeasible for one to electrocute oneself. (There is the one in a million that the GFI doesn't work, and that is why one should test it occasionally. (They have a test button for a reason))

So the actual risk is honestly rather small.

I hope you realize how GFCI's work and how they are wired into a house, most are wired on dedicated wires and need to have the wall connection to it to work, that is why you see most GFCI buttons and all that on the panels next to light switches and all that in the bathroom, GFCI's aren't going to protect you when your using your main power to power something with a direct connection to it which is usually connected to the main houses breaker box, meaning if something falls in that tub, it will electrocute him no matter what considering there is no GFCI installed to stop it from happening. (This is all if it's not installed with a GFCI behind it. Which most likely it is not.)

5 minutes ago, Alaura said:

I hope you realize how GFCI's work and how they are wired into a house, most are wired on dedicated wires and need to have the wall connection to it to work, that is why you see most GFCI buttons and all that on the panels next to light switches and all that in the bathroom, GFCI's aren't going to protect you when your using your main power to power something with a direct connection to it which is usually connected to the main houses breaker box, meaning if something falls in that tub, it will electrocute him no matter what considering there is no GFCI installed to stop it from happening. (This is all if it's not installed with a GFCI behind it. Which most likely it is not.)

Depending on the jurisdiction, a GFCI can be required to protect all outlets in the whole house. (ie, it is installed in the main breaker box itself)
While other places just require them on the ground floor, bathrooms, and such. (Typically installed next to the breakers it is connected to, or at times next to the light switches in/outside of the room in question. (Exact requirements on location varies from country to country))

It varies a lot to be fair, and some countries just shrugs about it and have no requirements on the use of GFCIs at all. And some countries call them Residual Current Interrupters instead... (Or where I live, "Jordfelsbrytare" (lit: "ground fault breaker"))

But I would be a bit surprised if @BrianTheElectrician didn't at the very least recommend the use of such for this installation.

Though, to be fair, one should also put a ground strap onto the tub itself to ensure that the water actually has a path to earth, it can after all just be floating since the faucet isn't typically submerged in the tub itself, And drain pipes are typically made of plastic and aren't really going to provide much of a ground path either... So if an ungrounded appliance were to fall in, the GFCI would potentially not even notice.