Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FuuMasta

Use faster ram than officially supported.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I will build a PC for my dad for christmas to replace it's 15 years old laptop and I will probably build one for me aswell.

His is likely to get an i3-10100 and mine a i7-9700k or the next gen equivalent.

For the i3-10100, the maximum speed it officially supported is 2666Mhz.... So what will happen or what should I do if I intall a dual channel 3200Mhz kit with that CPU?

4 minutes ago, FuuMasta said:

For the i3-10100, the maximum speed it officially supported is 2666Mhz.... So what will happen or what should I do if I intall a dual channel 3200Mhz kit with that CPU?

Intel only allows you to go above the officially supported RAM speeds on Z boards (ex: Z490), if you aren't using one then you'd be artificially limited to 2666Mhz

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, FuuMasta said:

So what will happen or what should I do if I intall a dual channel 3200Mhz kit with that CPU?

Assuming you're running a z490 board, you can run 3200mhz kits, it's just anything over 2666 is technically not guaranteed, if you're going to be running a b or an h series board, you won't be able to run 3200, the kit will downclock itself. 

Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.