Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hogerys

How can i make the smoothest transition to Linux while still running Windows on another drive.

Posted · Original PosterOP

I'm planning on moving my productivity and basic workflow to Linux but i want to run a Windows OS too, because of gaming.

I'm currently running a 250GB M.2 SSD and an old 500GB drive. I don't know which one i should install the different OS's, I'm guessing i should reserve the SSD for the Windows because of games.

I would also like to know how to set it up that i can choose between the two OS's in the boot-loader. I don't know if it automatically gets set up as a choosable option or not.

I will appreciate every tips, suggestions and solutions.

1 minute ago, Hogerys said:

I would also like to know how to set it up that i can choose between the two OS's in the boot-loader. I don't know if it automatically gets set up as a choosable option or not.

You can choose which drive to boot into in the BIOS

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: 1TB HP EX920 PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172), 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

2 minutes ago, Hogerys said:

I'm currently running a 250GB M.2 SSD and an old 500GB drive. I don't know which one i should install the different OS's, I'm guessing i should reserve the SSD for the Windows because of games.

That's entirely preference. Your Windows install will however probably consume more disk space. I personally also keep most of my games on a slower HDD and use Flash Storage for productivity. I don't mind waiting an extra minute or so for a game to load, but a large project the difference could be several minutes to an hour depending on what your doing.

4 minutes ago, Hogerys said:

I'm planning on moving my productivity and basic workflow to Linux but i want to run a Windows OS too, because of gaming.

I will appreciate every tips, suggestions and solutions.

What Distro are you planning to switch to? I know Ubuntu and its derivatives give you the option during install to dual boot alongside Windows. In which case it will be added to the grub boot loader to select between during boot.

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

What Distro are you planning to switch to?

I thought about Ubuntu or Zorin. I tryed out Ubuntu and watched many videos of it.

12 minutes ago, C2dan88 said:

Or if Installing linux to its own drive you can use grub bootloader to chose which os to boot.

So if i did understand it right, then GRUB is a built in boot manager to Linux right? What is the difference between booting with GRUB or simply booting from the BIOS when starting? This assuming that the BIOS gives me the option to choose the OS i want to boot up at the startup.

2 minutes ago, Hogerys said:

I thought about Ubuntu or Zorin. I tryed out Ubuntu and watched many videos of it.

Personally I hate Zorin, I don't like how they re-brand open-source apps and try to charge for it on the website.

I don't really care for Ubuntu, but as a new user I would probably recommend it for it's simplicity compared to most distros.

You could look at there various Flavors https://ubuntu.com/download/flavours

If you want something like Windows, KDE is a good bet and is highly customizable -> Kubuntu

If you want something that stays out of your way, GNOME is fairly decent -> Ubuntu itself uses GNOME, but I would actually recommend PopOS! over it, which is a Ubuntu derivative.

I can't really say much about the other environments, but they may also be worth a look.

My System - OS: Arch Linux(GNOME) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.33v Motherboard: Asus Strix X470-I Gaming RAM: 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: MSI Radeon 5700XT Mech OC

Wifes System - OS: Arch Linux (KDE Plasma) CPU: Ryzen 3600 @ 4.1 Ghz 1.32v Motherboard: Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro @ 3200 CL16 GPU: AMD 5700XT Reference Card

4 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

If you want something like Windows, KDE is a good bet and is highly customizable -> Kubuntu

If you want something that stays out of your way, GNOME is fairly decent -> Ubuntu itself uses GNOME, but I would actually recommend PopOS! over it, which is a Ubuntu derivative.

Yeah Pop seems pretty decent. I've looked at reviews and as things seem more people recommend PopOS over Kubuntu. I don't know what's the case with Pop vs. regular Ubuntu tho. May i ask why do you recommend Pop a bit more specifically?

13 minutes ago, Hogerys said:

So if i did understand it right, then GRUB is a built in boot manager to Linux right? What is the difference between booting with GRUB or simply booting from the BIOS when starting? This assuming that the BIOS gives me the option to choose the OS i want to boot up at the startup.

Saves having to boot to bios I suppose. grub is still required when you want to see the boot menu or not.

6 minutes ago, Hogerys said:

Yeah Pop seems pretty decent. I've looked at reviews and as things seem more people recommend PopOS over Kubuntu. I don't know what's the case with Pop vs. regular Ubuntu tho. May i ask why do you recommend Pop a bit more specifically?

Better out of the box support, especially if you have a NVIDIA Card.

Doesn't use the abomination that is snap.

Generally just focuses more on stability, ease of use, and drivers more than Ubuntu and the rest of its derivatives.