Cannot find a monitor. I know exactly what I want but need to buy without ever seeing it. Anyone own or know of anything?

smmmokin

Just bought and built a PC and this is my last question. I was given a Samsung 245BW monitor for free years back. Dinosaur. I have spent my life gaming on laptops. Always the 17" displays. But I need a new monitor because the free one I got you can count each pixel from 10 feet away. Everyone on here is after monitors and I can't relate to anyone else's needs. There's so many options and conflicting reviews and you all have proven to be on the money so here I am.

I'd be happy with a monitor that is 20-25" My laptop screens have never been great so I'm not expecting much but would like something decent. I don't need color accuracy or blazing fast response time. I'd like to spend around $200-$300 (Canadian) :( but it seems tough to find a "Gaming" monitor at 20-27" They all seem like monitors for the office which is what makes this hard. Over 27" is way too big for me 1920x1080 is perfect.

Always used 60Hz so would like to bump that up. 120Hz would be a Cadillac. Anything more is a waste for my rig.

My hope is one of you are like "Oh yeah for sure check this out" without even having to think. Finding a monitor seems harder than figuring out components for the entire machine. One review is 5 star, the next says it's a piece of junk. Small town 3 hours from the city so can't see anything in person. Feels Bad Man. Hopefully I gave enough info someone will be the same.

If you’re willing to do 1080p/60hz 24” an office monitor is all you’ll find because at that size such a  monitor is perfect.  There will be no “gaming” monitors because almost no one would buy them.  They’d be pwned by office monitors.  And office monitor can be had used for very very cheap.  I’ve seen em for $CAN 50 iirc on scrapyardwars.

an important factor is how much video card you have.  Too much card is wasted on a small monitor, but too little card won’t run a big one.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/J7MTwP/asus-vp249qgr-238-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-vp249qgr

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9CFf7/aoc-24g2-238-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-24g2

these come in stock in the us for 160 and 180 shipped on amazon often. extremely popular and very good. i used the asus until i bumped up to 1440p 144hz and it was great for a lower res monitor. both use the same panel but color saturation is higher on the aoc, and the aoc has better stand ergonomics plus a more comprehensive warranty than the asus. the asus was a fine monitor though and i have zero complaints. they both have freesync which can be used with pascal and later nvidia gpus, you may have to mess with the freesync range in CRU for full compatibility but nothing fancy

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

You can get a good deal by going for used office monitors.

Sometime these monitors are premium workstation class, with great colors and top of the line features like 10bit colors and tilt-swivel base which seen in $300+ gaming monitors these days.

The downside is 60hz.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

7 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

You can get a good deal by going for used office monitors.

Sometime these monitors are premium workstation class, with great colors and top of the line features like 10bit colors and tilt-swivel base which seen in $300+ gaming monitors these days.

The downside is 60hz.

I'll need to check in the AM who else posts. But I think you nailed it. 1920x1080 @ 60Hz is looking likely. Life lol. Thanks for the reply friend. Sleep will help maybe. 

25 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/J7MTwP/asus-vp249qgr-238-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-vp249qgr

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/Q9CFf7/aoc-24g2-238-1920x1080-144-hz-monitor-24g2

these come in stock in the us for 160 and 180 shipped on amazon often. extremely popular and very good. i used the asus until i bumped up to 1440p 144hz and it was great for a lower res monitor. both use the same panel but color saturation is higher on the aoc, and the aoc has better stand ergonomics plus a more comprehensive warranty than the asus. the asus was a fine monitor though and i have zero complaints. they both have freesync which can be used with pascal and later nvidia gpus, you may have to mess with the freesync range in CRU for full compatibility but nothing fancy

Thanks for the info! I'll have to check around.

27 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you’re willing to do 1080p/60hz 24” an office monitor is all you’ll find because at that size such a  monitor is perfect.  There will be no “gaming” monitors because almost no one would buy them.  They’d be pwned by office monitors.  And office monitor can be had used for very very cheap.  I’ve seen em for $CAN 50 iirc on scrapyardwars.

an important factor is how much video card you have.  Too much card is wasted on a small monitor, but too little card won’t run a big one.

This seems to be true. Thank you for the very sad cold hard truth lol.