Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
I Hendrycks I

Ryzen 3800x - 3600MHz RAM Not Stable

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey, I had 2x8GB 3200MHz RAM overclocked before in my PC with an Aorus X570 Elite Wifi but just picked up a 4x8GB kit of Vengeance RGB Pro listed @3600MHz but just setting the XMP profile causes my BIOS recovery to kick in and boots me back.

 

On my 3200 kit, I was able to just input DRAM Calcs safe settings and was good to go and saw a bit of an increase in performance but it's very frustrating to have bought more expensive 3600MHz RAM and it can't even hit it easily. I tried inputting the safe settings with my Thaiphoon export but I didn't have any luck. I also raised my DRAM voltage to 1.4v as well. 

 

I'm new to this and I have no clue what #s to change, I followed a few things like only inputting the main numbers and raising voltage too but the rest is beyond me. I know it's not the best RAM but I got Samsung B-die and was hoping I could at least get 3600MHz running stable.

 

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

disable ecc

it can help a lot with DRAM initialization

 

if thats not enough then try different protODT settings, it can greatly affect stability, it has no impact on performance (typically between 32ohm and 58ohm)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, WereCat said:

disable ecc

it can help a lot with DRAM initialization

 

if thats not enough then try different protODT settings, it can greatly affect stability, it has no impact on performance (typically between 32ohm and 58ohm)

I'm not 100% sure where the ECC setting is in my BIOS but just to try I input the Safe preset if I set my RAM at 3200MHz and even it won't work. Did I just get a crap kit or is it not working at 3200MHz not a good indicator?

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, I Hendrycks I said:

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

You could first set the dram voltage to 1.35 then set the soc to 1.1, go for 3200 with xmp enabled then if that's stable, go for 3600. 


Fun Fact: The Meshify c is the best case to ever exist.

 

 

Wārudobītā

Spoiler

3100.

B550m TuF plus.

Hyper x rgb 8 gig stick. (MJR or CJR  i still don't know lol).

1650 super.

CX450.

MX500.

NX500.

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
16 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

You could first set the dram voltage to 1.35 then set the soc to 1.1, go for 3200 with xmp enabled then if that's stable, go for 3600. 

EDIT: So it booted just fine for once! Btw I'm still not 100% on if changing settings in Aorus' menus is better vs AMDs countless menus? Just in case that makes a difference. The AMD menus also don't seem to ever reset when Optimizing Defaults which is odd.

 

Edit 2: 3600MHz with the same settings didn't work. Should I try adding in the safe settings and raising ProcODT?

Edited by I Hendrycks I
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, I Hendrycks I said:

EDIT: So it booted just fine for once! Btw I'm still not 100% on if changing settings in Aorus' menus is better vs AMDs countless menus? Just in case that makes a difference. The AMD menus also don't seem to ever reset when Optimizing Defaults which is odd.

 

Edit 2: 3600MHz with the same settings didn't work. Should I try adding in the safe settings and raising ProcODT?

try this

 

this is from an ASUS BIOS but it is in the AMD settings which should be shared between all manufacturers

 

besides few of the options you should have most of them available as well, maybe under different name

 

(and raising protODT may not help, higher value doesent mean its better, sometimes lowering it makes for a better stability, I recommend using protODT from the DRAM Calc)

 

Advanced/AMD CBS/CPU Common Options -> ECC Disabled
MemAddrCmdSetup = 0
MemCsOdtSetup = 0
MemCkeSetup = 0

Extreme Tweaker\Tweaker's Paradise
___________________________________
VTTDDR Voltage = 1/2 DRAM Voltage
VPP_MEM Voltage = always 2.5V or 2.52V due to V droop
DRAM CTRL REF Voltage on CHA/CHB = Vref (CHA/CHB) in DRAM Calc
DRAM R1/R2/R3/R4 Tune = 0
Sense MI Skew = Disabled (Super I/O Clock Skew in DRAM Calc)

Advanced
________
AMD CBS/CPU Common Options/Prefetcher Settings -> L1/L2 Stream HW Prefetcher = Enabled
AMD CBS/DF Common Options - Memory Clear = Disabled
AMD CBS/DF Common Options/Memory Addressing -> Memory Interleaving Size = 512 Bytes
AMD CBS/UMC Common Options/DDR4 Common Options/Phy Configuration/PMU Training -> PMU Pattern Bits = A
                                          -> PMU Pattern Bits Control = Manual
                                          -> FFE Write Training = Enabled
                                          -> DFE Read Training = Enabled
AMD CBS/UMC Common Options/DRAM Memory Mapping -> BankGroupSwap (BGS) = Disabled
                           -> BankGroupSwapAlt (BGS alt) = Enabled
                           -> Adress Hash CS = Enabled (Memory interleaving = Channel)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited) · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, WereCat said:

try this

Thanks for the reply, I found almost all the settings but it still won't boot, but I just tried 1.4v for DRAM Voltage and XMP High Frequency Report on Level 3 and it booted. The only thing is it did this earlier where the whole comp runs very slow at loading programs until it blue screens. I tried running membench when it happened earlier and it popped up a ton of errors saying it can't write to my RAM so I think that it can't handle 1.4v maybe?

 

EDIT: So I tried 1.38v on a whim and it booted and I ran TimeSpy and I got a better score than I've ever gotten across the board. Should I now try fixing up my timings? It's at the rated CL18 atm.

Edited by I Hendrycks I
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, I Hendrycks I said:

Thanks for the reply, I found almost all the settings but it still won't boot, but I just tried 1.4v for DRAM Voltage and XMP High Frequency Report on Level 3 and it booted. The only thing is it did this earlier where the whole comp runs very slow at loading programs until it blue screens. I tried running membench when it happened earlier and it popped up a ton of errors saying it can't write to my RAM so I think that it can't handle 1.4v maybe?

 

EDIT: So I tried 1.38v on a whim and it booted and I ran TimeSpy and I got a better score than I've ever gotten across the board. Should I now try fixing up my timings? It's at the rated CL18 atm.

honestly, just tinker around till you get it stable, you want 0 errors otherwise you are risking a data corruption

 

Unfortunately there is so much things to tweak when it comes to DRAM that its not easy to diagnose what is the issue. While sometimes throwing voltage at things may help, it is not really the greatest solution. That said, almost all DDR4 should handle 1.45V for daily use and some good kits can go all the way up to 1.5V to 1.55V, but at that point it is not a bad idea to have a fan blowing air on the sticks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, WereCat said:

honestly, just tinker around

Thanks for your help! I can only get 3200MHz working without instability but I'm getting better TimeSpy scores than my better timed 3200 2x8 kit before so it's enough for me for now. I'm not sure if 10300 is considered 'good' with a 2070 Super and 3800x but ya! Thanks again.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Newegg

×