Tesla charging for speed updates now...

Lord of Flies89
9 hours ago, wanderingfool2 said:

Honestly this is tricky and I don't know how I feel about this.

For the added performance, I am inclined not to care (as it was about what was advertised).  Similar with heated seats, I can understand Tesla's approach (one SKU makes it a whole lot simpler, so it's easier to do a lockout instead...it also means if you decide to upgrade you don't have expensive "installs").  [A real world example being my current car, I wish I had heated seats, and wish I went with that option...but it's too expensive to add in after the fact now].

An analogy to this, I would say, is how cable companies use to run before digital.  The coax to the house actually received all the channels, and they would literally just put a filter in place to prevent you from getting the other channels.  While it's being delivered to your house, it doesn't it becomes yours.

With that said, there is the slippery slope argument, and it is a worry...but at least right now I think it's reasonable.

Yeah that would seem more reasonable and easier to do a software upgrade than going back to the dealer for an install. I agree software lockouts would be a good thing for things you may want later such as heated seats or a heated steering wheel, as long as it's a one time upgrade, cars as a service with upgrade subscriptions I definitely wouldn't like.

10 hours ago, Blademaster91 said:

What the heck? A $2000 software tune to unlock something the car was already completely capable of doing.

It's not like a internal combustion engine car that you have to adjust air/fuel ratios, and make sure the engine can handle it so that I can understand costs money.

Tesla is copying Apple not just in anti-consumer practices against repair, but overpriced software.

The way I see is that you originally bought the vehicle with one set of specs. That was what was advertised to you at the time, and what you paid for.

The manufacturer then turns around and offers a $2000 upgrade which improves the performance by a small amount. It's performance in addition to what you originally bought, and in most cases, there is no expectation that a vendor would supply a free upgrade months or years down the line for most products, unless one was promised to you at the time of purchase.

43 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

The way I see is that you originally bought the vehicle with one set of specs. That was what was advertised to you at the time, and what you paid for.

The manufacturer then turns around and offers a $2000 upgrade which improves the performance by a small amount. It's performance in addition to what you originally bought, and in most cases, there is no expectation that a vendor would supply a free upgrade months or years down the line for most products, unless one was promised to you at the time of purchase.

defending this is where it begins. soon they'll just sell a barebones Tesla, no options, but the second you start it up you'll have 50 ads begging you to "upgrade your car to PRO" and "tap here to remove ads" and "RAID SHADOW LEGENDS"

Pay money to get better 0-60 times and degrade your battery faster. Tesla is already pushing the current battery technology to its limits, that is why it is forced to lock some cars out of Supercharging and why there are so many used Teslas with replaced batteries on the market. What a waste.

Lame indeed. The car as a service I can see as a special rentable future self-driving cars, but buying one like a personal car, no it's sad. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Corsair K63 Cherry MX red | Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

*** Thread cleaned ***

Of literal train stuff. Lets keep this on topic, please.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

5 hours ago, Murasaki said:

for just a 0.5 change? impractical to a normal not rich person.

Yeah just imagine how many people spend hundreds/thousandsof dollars on wheels/spoilers/skirts/headers/etc etc. Performance tuning is expensive mods and a shocking number (to me) still want to do it.  

A normal person isn't going to find the current status unacceptably slow, but paying 2k for half of the bonus that would be from the performance model which is 10k more than this car isn't a terrible deal.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

2 hours ago, zheega said:

Pay money to get better 0-60 times and degrade your battery faster. Tesla is already pushing the current battery technology to its limits, that is why it is forced to lock some cars out of Supercharging and why there are so many used Teslas with replaced batteries on the market. What a waste.

you do realize that these are still slower than the performance models overall with the same motors and such, right? So if that's really the issue, just don't buy it.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

People complaining about features on a thing they can't and will never buy for $1000 Alex.

Level 2 Tech Support for a Corporation servicing over 12,000 users and devices, AMA

Desktop - CPU: Ryzen 5800x3D | GPU: Sapphire 6900 XT Nitro+ SE | Mobo: Asus x570 TUF | RAM: 32GB CL15 3600 | PSU: EVGA 850 GA | Case: Corsair 450D | Storage: Several | Cooling: Brown | Thermal Paste: Yes

Laptop - Dell G15 | i7-11800H | RTX 3060 | 16GB CL22 3200

Plex - Lenovo M93p Tiny | Ubuntu | Intel 4570T | 8GB RAM | 2x 8TB WD RED Plus 

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

30 mph = ~50kmh = ~14 m/s. Basic physics  says you are wrong.

Exactly. Given normal road tyres on a dry surface it takes about 7 meters for the vehicle to stop at 30mph. (that's already more than a car length) 

Add to this another 5-10 meters for the time it takes for a driver to respond and your total stopping distance is is well over 10 meters, probably over 15.

In wet conditions or with the driver not being perfectly alert this is easily 20-25 meters.

20 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Sometimes I just wish I could install a train horn on my car and blow it at people that anger me.

Well technically you are allowed to have that right?

7 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

In the EU you most get a car modification permit for it, but they will never allow a train horn thats for sure.......

43 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

In the EU you most get a car modification permit for it, but they will never allow a train horn thats for sure.......

AFAIK where I live you can have any horn that isn't multi-tonal. 

1 minute ago, akio123008 said:

AFAIK wher I live you can have any horn that isn't multi-tonal. 

Well good for you, by us you would get boned for it. Hell even replacing halogen lamps with LED substitutes are considered illegal......

The thing is I feel like they are doing this just because the company itself is so on edge of failing/succeeding all the time.

Like up till recently they weren't even profitable lol

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

18 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The thing is I feel like they are doing this just because the company itself is so on edge of failing/succeeding all the time.

Like up till recently they weren't even profitable lol

Every American startup automotive company since the 1930’s has been destroyed by the big Detroit manufacturers.  Latest example I know of before Tesla was DeLorean. There were literally dozens of others though.  Things have changed however.  AMC (which was more or less a conglomeration of all those other companies such as auburn and cord and nash and  dusenberg) is totally dead.  Chrysler, the last company to survive, is experiencing the passing about between European companies that happened to amc before it died. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

17 hours ago, akio123008 said:

As far as I am aware, no.

17 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

I'm not in the EU.

17 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

30 mph = ~50kmh = ~14 m/s. Basic physics  says you are wrong.

16 years of driving experience with zero accidents that were my fault, disagrees with your physics, and I've always driven basically the same.

Now, it does depend on the person in question driving a reasonably well kept vehicle and not a beater with only the brakes on one wheel working lol.

20 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

*** Thread cleaned ***

Of literal train stuff. Lets keep this on topic, please.

Did I accidentally.....derail, the thread?

Spoiler

CSI Blank Template - Imgflip

Sorry if I did.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

37 minutes ago, Trik'Stari said:

I'm not in the EU.

Unless you live in india or similar undeveloped place there are regulations imposed on cars. Including the loudness of the horn...

4 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Now, it does depend on the person in question driving a reasonably well kept vehicle and not a beater with only the brakes on one wheel working lol.

Fair point, but the brakes aren't the bottleneck. The real problem is the friction of your tyres on the road. There's no way you can stop within 5 meters at 30mph on road tyres. Especially not in wet conditions. Taking into account human response (even if it's exceptionally good) you'll be looking at over 10 meters (30 feet or so)

zero accidents that were my fault

Technically if a vehicle in front of you comes to a sudden stop, they have run into something or someone, meaning it's their fault, or the fault of whatever they drove into. Despite the fact that it's not your fault though, you've still run into them and you could have prevented that.

disagrees with your physics

You can try but in the end reality will run you over......

11 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

you've still run into them

In Hungary if you hit someone from behind by default you are at fault and its really hard to prove otherwise. They wont care about why the car in front of you stopped. You did not keep enough following distance its your fault.

33 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Fair point, but the brakes aren't the bottleneck. The real problem is the friction of your tyres on the road. There's no way you can stop within 5 meters at 30mph on road tyres. Especially not in wet conditions. Taking into account human response (even if it's exceptionally good) you'll be looking at over 10 meters (30 feet or so)

Technically if a vehicle in front of you comes to a sudden stop, they have run into something or someone, meaning it's their fault, or the fault of whatever they drove into. Despite the fact that it's not your fault though, you've still run into them and you could have prevented that.

In my state if you hit someone from the rear it’s automatically your fault.  The rule is you’re supposed to maintain adequate distance to stop in case the vehicle in front of you stops suddenly.  I recall a story told to me about how a guy suddenly panic brakes in the middle of the road for no reason so he could yell at his wife.  Car behind him plowed into him and it wasn’t his fault for all of him being an ass.  I’ve actually seen bumper stickers that read “caution: brakes suddenly and for no reason whatsoever”

The only time a rear end collision is your fault is if you actually reverse into a stationary vehicle.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The only time a rear end collision is your fault is if you actually reverse into a stationary vehicle.

I think that's true for most parts of the world.