building my first gaming pc

Hi, I've been into pc gaming and gaming as a whole for a very long time now, and now I kinda need a pc so I sort of put together a list of parts that I was planning to use in  this build, I live in Peru so I don't have a lot of options when it comes to some components, I'd like to hear your opinions and suggestions, thanks.

core i5 10600ka (the store im gonna buy it from doesn't have the regular k anyways)

tuf b460-pro wifi (im looking for a motherboard that has integrated bluetooth and at least 1 m.2 slot)

honestly speaking, I don't care a lot about ram and im on a budget so pretty much any 8gb ddr4 module.

there aren't a lot of options for cooling that are within my budget so it's either gonna have to be a cooler master hyper t200 or a hyper t20, idk which one to choose.

I don't care if performance in blender is 10% faster with amd, im mostly focusing on gaming and homework for the time being.

for a power supply ill be using an old 600w that my uncle had in an old computer and the case is also gonna be an old atx case, same with the storage.

ill just be buying a processor, a motherboard, a ram module and a cooler, everything else I plan on getting eventually.

also, the main reason im going for the 10600k instead of the 10400 is because of their base clock speed, I used to have a gaming laptop that would constantly throttle while turbo boosting  so id rather get something that will have a high enough clock from the get go, also the 10700 is just out of my budget.

thanks.

What I recommend is to enter all those parts into Pcpartpicker just to check for any compatibility issues. 

What graphics card are you getting?

Get 16gb of ram preferably because even 8gb is a bit too little for gaming nowadays, and you don't want your pc to be obsolete in like 2 years.

What power supply is it? If it's a good unit then that's fine, but NEVER get a cheap power supply. This is very important, you don't want it to fail and kill the rest of your system

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

What I recommend is to enter all those parts into Pcpartpicker just to check for any compatibility issues. 

What graphics card are you getting?

Get 16gb of ram preferably because even 8gb is a bit too little for gaming nowadays, and you don't want your pc to be obsolete in like 2 years.

What power supply is it? If it's a good unit then that's fine, but NEVER get a cheap power supply. This is very important, you don't want it to fail and kill the rest of your system

im on a budget, so the gaming part is gonna have to wait for a while, for the time being im not getting a graphics card and the power supply is kind of old but it has done its job for a good number of years now, also the motherboard has 4 ram slots so I plan on getting more in the future.

Edited by thantibus

11 minutes ago, thantibus said:

tuf b460-pro wifi (im looking for a motherboard that has integrated bluetooth and at least 1 m.2 slot)

get a z490 board, to be able to overclock the 10600k. if you can't afford it, there is no point in getting a 10600k, get a 10400 instead.

12 minutes ago, thantibus said:

any 8gb ddr4 module

you want two sticks of ram to run dual channel, otherwise your performance will be low. so go either 2x4, or 2x8(prefered)

13 minutes ago, thantibus said:

old 600w that my uncle had in an old computer

very bad decision. you want a good modern psu, otherwise you'll fry your new components with an old unreliable psu.

what about gpu? you need one for gaming.

I'd wait until Zen 3 announcement in the 8th of October, less than 2 weeks from now.

Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

2 minutes ago, thantibus said:

im on a budget, so the gaming part is gonna have to wait for a while, for the time being im not getting a graphics card and the power supply is kind of old but it has done its job for a good number of years now, also the motherboard has 4 ram slots so I plan on getting more in the future.

I mean if you're not going to be gaming right now, and are only going to be doing homework with that system, sure it would work. But in that case, you should probably just wait for a few weeks when the new AMD processors are announced so that you can potentially get a better value for your money. My recommendation would be to save up for a little bit longer so you can get a better value for your money when you eventually start gaming. 

What are you using right now for homework, is it not enough?

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

1 minute ago, boggy77 said:

get a z490 board, to be able to overclock the 10600k. if you can't afford it, there is no point in getting a 10600k, get a 10400 instead.

you want two sticks of ram to run dual channel, otherwise your performance will be low. so go either 2x4, or 2x8(prefered)

very bad decision. you want a good modern psu, otherwise you'll fry your new components with an old unreliable psu.

what about gpu? you need one for gaming.

well, thanks, I'll keep all of that in mind, I can't afford a graphics card now but I do plan on getting one in the future, for a power supply I was looking at a seasonic a12 700w, I know its overkill for the system as it its right now but im hopping to get a good graphics card at some point.

2 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

I mean if you're not going to be gaming right now, and are only going to be doing homework with that system, sure it would work. But in that case, you should probably just wait for a few weeks when the new AMD processors are announced so that you can potentially get a better value for your money. My recommendation would be to save up for a little bit longer so you can get a better value for your money when you eventually start gaming. 

What are you using right now for homework, is it not enough?

right now im using a MacBook Air 2018 and it just doesn't have enough storage, I need some windows specific programs (studying translation), while the amd thing does sound interesting, I live in Peru so it's gonna take a couple of months for it to actually get here and I sort of need the computer soon.

3 minutes ago, thantibus said:

seasonic a12

that is a very low quality psu that wouldn't handle high end components well.

get a good quality 550W psu, unless you plan on geting an rtx 3090, it will be good enough for any gpu.

something like a corsair txm gold

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

that is a very low quality psu that wouldn't handle high end components well.

get a good quality 550W psu, unless you plan on geting an rtx 3090, it will be good enough for any gpu.

something like a corsair txm gold

thanks, I heard Linus talk about seasonic on a video once so I thought it would be good enough, would you say that any corsair power supply its good enough? as in, not destroying my components? ill try to get something from corsair that at least has some sort of 80 rating.

id like to get a series 70, hopefully at 80 (I mean Nvidia but it might be 1000 or 3000 series) tough I don't think its gonna be anything above a 70.

26 minutes ago, thantibus said:

right now im using a MacBook Air 2018 and it just doesn't have enough storage, I need some windows specific programs (studying translation), while the amd thing does sound interesting, I live in Peru so it's gonna take a couple of months for it to actually get here and I sort of need the computer soon.

Ah, that makes more sense then. Yeah you should probably build soon in that case.  

19 minutes ago, thantibus said:

thanks, I heard Linus talk about seasonic on a video once so I thought it would be good enough, would you say that any corsair power supply its good enough? as in, not destroying my components? ill try to get something from corsair that at least has some sort of 80 rating.

id like to get a series 70, hopefully at 80 (I mean Nvidia but it might be 1000 or 3000 series) tough I don't think its gonna be anything above a 70.

With PSUs, the quality is not dependent on the 80 rating or the manufacturer, most manufacturers make some good and some bad PSUs. I recommend checking this list and choosing one based on it: 

you don't need something super high end, I would say something in tier B or above. 

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

Ah, that makes more sense then. Yeah you should probably build soon in that case.  

With PSUs, the quality is not dependent on the 80 rating or the manufacturer, most manufacturers make some good and some bad PSUs. I recommend checking this list and choosing one based on it: 

you don't need something super high end, I would say something in tier B or above. 

thank you.

31 minutes ago, Shreyas1 said:

actually, I do have one more question, while I don't plan on overclocking, isn't it possible to do it regardless of the motherboard? as in, using intel extreme utility software?

6 minutes ago, thantibus said:

actually, I do have one more question, while I don't plan on overclocking, isn't it possible to do it regardless of the motherboard? as in, using intel extreme utility software?

no, only K cpus on Z boards can be overclocked.

as for psu, all brands have good quality psus and bad quality psu. i wouldn't advise getting "any corsair" jsut because it's corsair. consult the tier list or come here with a list of options and we'll help

1 hour ago, thantibus said:

what is your budget? 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

what is your budget? 

around 700 usd, tough the cpu is a gift and im borrowing a case, an hdd and a psu so its more like 350 usd.