Something is wrong but I don't know

mycathurt

I have an 17" Omen Laptop I don't know the model but I bought it back in 2018 with a 1050ti. But every time I turn it on, this thing happens every time. I was thinking maybe it's software, but I checked device manager, GeForce experience, and checked if I had to do any windows updates and it doesn't show anything wrong or anything new I need to download. I don't know what else it could be except for the display but I haven't dropped it or punctured it, so it might be a loose cable in the actual chassis. I have no idea what's going on but I want to fix it as soon as possible. 

Looks like a loose  or bad connection cable to the display. How proficient are you at tearing down your laptop? I'd do that and take a look to see if there is any wear on that ribbon cable. Or best case, just need to reseat it. They should have a locking mechanism, so make sure its in there nice and tight.

20 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Looks like a loose  or bad connection cable to the display. How proficient are you at tearing down your laptop? I'd do that and take a look to see if there is any wear on that ribbon cable. Or best case, just need to reseat it. They should have a locking mechanism, so make sure its in there nice and tight.

I've never opened it, I don't know how it could be an issue, but I do know how to open a laptop and computer up, I watch LTT for god's sake

This does look to me like the cable connecting the screen to the motherboard is failing.  This is one of the more failure prone parts on a lot of laptops since it gets flexed back and forth every time the laptop is closed or opened, and this gradually weakens the metal strands in each wire.  On most laptops (minus ultra slim models and MacBooks), this isn't too hard to replace

If I had a dime for everytime I've encountered this while working at at Tech shop, I could retire. You'd be surprised how common it is. Now don't get me wrong, could be other things too, but that would be my first guess and if I'm right, probably the cheapest solution. LCD panels can be spendy (*cough*looking at you Apple *cough*)

38 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

If I had a dime for everytime I've encountered this while working at at Tech shop, I could retire. You'd be surprised how common it is. Now don't get me wrong, could be other things too, but that would be my first guess and if I'm right, probably the cheapest solution. LCD panels can be spendy (*cough*looking at you Apple *cough*)

So the way of fixing it is by replacing the whole panel or just the cable?

If it's the ribbon cable then just the cable.  Or it could have just come loose and reseating it might be all you need. 

1 minute ago, Bad5ector said:

If it's the ribbon cable then just the cable.  Or it could have just come loose and reseating it might be all you need. 

Alright, thank you, I'll try it once I can have help from someone can help me because it's a lot.