Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DanWhite

Can I downscale 4k video in real time to my display's resolution? (1080p)

Just now, DanWhite said:

What's the point of that, I want to get better quality than 1080p that's why I did this post

And setting a video to 4K on a 1080p will increase the quality; as your browser will now sample 4 pixels to show your screen 1 pixel; which is exactly why Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) does.

 

AMD Radeon videocards also have an equivalent settings to DSR in Radeon Settings.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello, so, I've seen that you can downscale or something your games in higher resolutions, to your monitor's resolution to get better image quality or something like that, and I'm wondering if you can do that with Youtube for example, the downscaling and rescaling or whatever to make the image quality better, I think it is called DSR super dynamic resolution but my card doesn't support it so.. 

 

I'm wodering if you can hit my up with some ideas of what can I do to get a similar result but with watching videos if such a thing its possible, thank you.

 

 

 

(sorry for the bad english, if you don't understand something you can ask me)

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

Hello, so, I've seen that you can downscale or something your games in higher resolutions, to your monitor's resolution to get better image quality or something like that, and I'm wondering if you can do that with Youtube for example, the downscaling and rescaling or whatever to make the image quality better, I think it is called DSR super dynamic resolution but my card doesn't support it so.. 

You can just open up a video and play it in higher resolution for the same result.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On YouTube you can just select 4k if the video has a 4k version (or any other resolution).


Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | Storage: 250 GB Crucial BX100 SSD + 2 TB Seagate HDD + 1TB WD Green + 3TB WD Red | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9360 | CPU: i5 7200U | RAM: 8 GB

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, minibois said:

You can just open up a video and play it in higher resolution for the same result.

What's the point of that, I want to get better quality than 1080p that's why I did this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, tikker said:

On YouTube you can just select 4k if the video has a 4k version.

 

My monitor's max resulotion its 1080p bro, I've said that

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Best Answer
Just now, DanWhite said:

What's the point of that, I want to get better quality than 1080p that's why I did this post

And setting a video to 4K on a 1080p will increase the quality; as your browser will now sample 4 pixels to show your screen 1 pixel; which is exactly why Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) does.

 

AMD Radeon videocards also have an equivalent settings to DSR in Radeon Settings.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, minibois said:

And setting a video to 4K on a 1080p will increase the quality; as your browser will now sample 4 pixels to show your screen 1 pixel; which is exactly why Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) does.

 

AMD Radeon videocards also have an equivalent settings to DSR in Radeon Settings.

Really? its that easy? I just need to set the thing on 4k and it will do the super resolution thingy by itself?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, minibois said:

And setting a video to 4K on a 1080p will increase the quality; as your browser will now sample 4 pixels to show your screen 1 pixel; which is exactly why Nvidia's Dynamic Super Resolution (DSR) does.

 

AMD Radeon videocards also have an equivalent settings to DSR in Radeon Settings.

My eng's too bad sorry for that haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DanWhite said:

Really? its that easy? I just need to set the thing on 4k and it will do the super resolution thingy by itself?

Yep, basically.

Of course it won't increase detail in the text on the page, or the YouTube thumbnails you see, etc. (which is what a full upscaling option like DSR would do), but if you just want the video in higher quality; just set the resolution to as high as you can.

 

On YouTube, the resolution setting does two things:

1. set the amount of pixels of video you are sent, which improves sharpness.

2. the higher the resolution, the higher the bitrate. Bitrate is the amount of data per frame in a video. Higher the bitrate = higher the quality.

 

So setting the video resolution to 4K on your 1080p screen accomplishes what you want to do (higher resolution via a 'super resolution' type of deal) + also gives you better bitrate.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, minibois said:

Yep, basically.

Of course it won't increase detail in the text on the page, or the YouTube thumbnails you see, etc. (which is what a full upscaling option like DSR would do), but if you just want the video in higher quality; just set the resolution to as high as you can.

 

On YouTube, the resolution setting does two things:

1. set the amount of pixels of video you are sent, which improves sharpness.

2. the higher the resolution, the higher the bitrate. Bitrate is the amount of data per frame in a video. Higher the bitrate = higher the quality.

 

So setting the video resolution to 4K on your 1080p screen accomplishes what you want to do (higher resolution via a 'super resolution' type of deal) + also gives you better bitrate.

Whoah, I didn't know that before, that is really nice, alright then.

 

Thank you for helping me!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yep, basically.

Of course it won't increase detail in the text on the page, or the YouTube thumbnails you see, etc. (which is what a full upscaling option like DSR would do), but if you just want the video in higher quality; just set the resolution to as high as you can.

 

On YouTube, the resolution setting does two things:

1. set the amount of pixels of video you are sent, which improves sharpness.

2. the higher the resolution, the higher the bitrate. Bitrate is the amount of data per frame in a video. Higher the bitrate = higher the quality.

 

So setting the video resolution to 4K on your 1080p screen accomplishes what you want to do (higher resolution via a 'super resolution' type of deal) + also gives you better bitrate.

I want to ask one last question for if you have any idea. Can I do that same upscaling that Youtube does with any video player on Windows?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DanWhite said:

I want to ask one last question for if you have any idea. Can I do that same upscaling that Youtube does with any video player on Windows?

Yep, you can play any resolution video on any resolution display, including higher resolutions than your display is.

YouTube has set bitrate amounts, but with local videos the bitrate can vary. So the first point about sharpness would still apply, but the bitrate part might not necessarily apply to local videos.

12 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

My eng's too bad sorry for that haha

By the way, you English is not bad. Your posts were easy to read and understand, no need to apologize for anything on that part 👍


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
2 minutes ago, minibois said:

Yep, you can play any resolution video on any resolution display, including higher resolutions than your display is.

YouTube has set bitrate amounts, but with local videos the bitrate can vary. So the first point about sharpness would still apply, but the bitrate part might not necessarily apply to local videos.

By the way, you English is not bad. Your posts were easy to read and understand, no need to apologize for anything on that part 👍

Ah haha I'm glad to know that, thank you and I see I see alright... now playing 4k video my CPU its at 90% usage but my GPU its at 20% usage is that normal?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, your video card has a hardware decoder that supports decoding various formats and resolutions.  

 

Your video card may not support hardware decoding VP9 videos, VP9 being the format Youtube uses to encode almost all videos. So when the video card's hardware encoder an't decode the video, the processor has to be used, and that explains the 90% cpu usage. 

4K is 4 times as big compared to regular 1080p so it could take as much as 4 times processing power. 

 

Also, some video cards only support decoding some formats up to 1080p and refuse or can't decode higher resolutions, so the player has to fall back to using processor to decode.

 

There are extensions which force youtube to send you videos compressed using H264, which is a format supported by most video cards, but the catch is that Youtube only serves such videos up to 1080p, 4K is restricted to VP9 or AV1.

 

See https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal?hl=en

or (for firefox) https://github.com/erkserkserks/h264ify-firefox

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, your video card has a hardware decoder that supports decoding various formats and resolutions.  

 

Your video card may not support hardware decoding VP9 videos, VP9 being the format Youtube uses to encode almost all videos. So when the video card's hardware encoder an't decode the video, the processor has to be used, and that explains the 90% cpu usage. 

4K is 4 times as big compared to regular 1080p so it could take as much as 4 times processing power. 

 

Also, some video cards only support decoding some formats up to 1080p and refuse or can't decode higher resolutions, so the player has to fall back to using processor to decode.

 

There are extensions which force youtube to send you videos compressed using H264, which is a format supported by most video cards, but the catch is that Youtube only serves such videos up to 1080p, 4K is restricted to VP9 or AV1.

 

See https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal?hl=en

or (for firefox) https://github.com/erkserkserks/h264ify-firefox

 

 

Ahh, that explains it, thank you for the information!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

Yeah, your video card has a hardware decoder that supports decoding various formats and resolutions.  

 

Your video card may not support hardware decoding VP9 videos, VP9 being the format Youtube uses to encode almost all videos. So when the video card's hardware encoder an't decode the video, the processor has to be used, and that explains the 90% cpu usage. 

4K is 4 times as big compared to regular 1080p so it could take as much as 4 times processing power. 

 

Also, some video cards only support decoding some formats up to 1080p and refuse or can't decode higher resolutions, so the player has to fall back to using processor to decode.

 

There are extensions which force youtube to send you videos compressed using H264, which is a format supported by most video cards, but the catch is that Youtube only serves such videos up to 1080p, 4K is restricted to VP9 or AV1.

 

See https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/h264ify/aleakchihdccplidncghkekgioiakgal?hl=en

or (for firefox) https://github.com/erkserkserks/h264ify-firefox

 

 

I downloaded the extension for Chrome and it just cutted the resolutions higher than 1080p off of the settings haha

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DanWhite said:

I downloaded the extension for Chrome and it just cutted the resolutions higher than 1080p off of the settings haha

Yes, because it's like this: 

 

youtube asks your browser what video formats it can play\

your browser replies : i know h264, vp9 , mpeg2, theora 

youtube says cool, I'll give you vp9

 

when you install that extension, the extension makes the browser tell youtube "i only know how to play h264, don't know how to play vp9 or av1 or anything else"

youtube says well, that sucks, i only have versions of this video compressed with h264 up to 1080p , so here's the 1080p version. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Glenwing said:

(*downscaling)

whoops, I've been busy with some upscaling projects so that word has been kind of burned into my brain at this point :P

8 hours ago, DanWhite said:

Ah haha I'm glad to know that, thank you and I see I see alright... now playing 4k video my CPU its at 90% usage but my GPU its at 20% usage is that normal?

It depends on what portion of Task Manager you're looking at and what video codec the website uses.

Note the different graphs in the GPU section of task manager:

image.png.fb22c3836ace4a66574d5b3bf2c22ff4.png

(and there are even more, when you click one of these four you can select another graph entry).

Video decode would fit most will under watching a video.

 

Secondly, the website has to use a video type your GPU supports, but I think @mariushm explained that rather well already.


"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
3 hours ago, minibois said:

whoops, I've been busy with some upscaling projects so that word has been kind of burned into my brain at this point :P

It depends on what portion of Task Manager you're looking at and what video codec the website uses.

Note the different graphs in the GPU section of task manager:

image.png.fb22c3836ace4a66574d5b3bf2c22ff4.png

(and there are even more, when you click one of these four you can select another graph entry).

Video decode would fit most will under watching a video.

 

Secondly, the website has to use a video type your GPU supports, but I think @mariushm explained that rather well already.

Trying to watch a 4k movie on a video player here's how it looks. Do you have any idea of why my GPU isn't helping the CPU at all to play the video?

da3fff6e9c3d70540aee1d3866b4c513.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DanWhite said:

Trying to watch a 4k movie on a video player here's how it looks. Do you have any idea of why my GPU isn't helping the CPU at all to play the video?

 

 

You have a Quadro 3000m , which is based on a chip made in 2010-2011...

GF104 (the codename of the chip) has the VP4 hardware decoder, and supports feature set C.

You can read more about it here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

 

Quote

Feature Set C

Supports complete acceleration for MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4 Part 2 (a.k.a. MPEG-4 ASP)   (DIVX/XVID), VC-1/WMV9 and H.264.
Global motion compensation and Data Partitioning are not supported for MPEG-4 Part 2.

Your card can't hardware decode VP9 which is used by Youtube to encode content higher than 1080p and by default Youtube may also serve you VP9 encoded videos at 1080p or 720p because they're a bit higher quality than h264 encoded ones and use less bandwidth.

Like I said, you can force the serving of h264 videos using that extension, and then your video card should be used more.

Right now, that 11% is just scaling the video and placing it on the screen, blending it with the rest of the interface, other crap.

 

Note that the hardware decoder does support h264 decoding in hardware but there may be limitations about it , like for example it could play 1080p 60fps just fine, but may only be able to decode 4K at up to 30fps, which is most 4K content. I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, mariushm said:

 

You have a Quadro 3000m , which is based on a chip made in 2010-2011...

GF104 (the codename of the chip) has the VP4 hardware decoder, and supports feature set C.

You can read more about it here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

 

Your card can't hardware decode VP9 which is used by Youtube to encode content higher than 1080p and by default Youtube may also serve you VP9 encoded videos at 1080p or 720p because they're a bit higher quality than h264 encoded ones and use less bandwidth.

Like I said, you can force the serving of h264 videos using that extension, and then your video card should be used more.

Right now, that 11% is just scaling the video and placing it on the screen, blending it with the rest of the interface, other crap.

 

Note that the hardware decoder does support h264 decoding in hardware but there may be limitations about it , like for example it could play 1080p 60fps just fine, but may only be able to decode 4K at up to 30fps, which is most 4K content. I'm not sure and too lazy to look it up.

So my GPU can't help my CPU play 4k videos even on a video player like MPC-HC? its what I understood

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×