What to do with my GPU that occasionally stops working?

Shantanu08

I have a Zotac GeForce GTX1060 3GB that occasionally turns display off and starts running at 100% fan speed. (which later requires reboot for the display to work again). Not under warranty either. So it is like somewhat useable but not really. What do you suggest to do with this? 

7 minutes ago, Shantanu08 said:

What do you suggest to do with this?

you could flash a different (lower power) bios or bake it in your oven. depends on how brave you are :D

uni student // at war with Siemens software // wife haver

9 minutes ago, Shantanu08 said:

What do you suggest to do with this?

what diagnosis step did you take?

is it hardware, firmware, or software issue?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

On 9/25/2020 at 3:58 PM, Moonzy said:

what diagnosis step did you take?

is it hardware, firmware, or software issue?

It's a hardware issue.

I had done many tests to determine and confirm whether it's a hw or a sw issue. Tried replacing the thermal paste multiple times, reinstalling drivers using DDU, replacing my PSU, reinstalling OS and much more. I had listed down all the things I did on tom's hardware but I can't find that thread anymore, but that list had a lot more tests that what I described just now. And btw thanks for posting a reply worth replying to—unlike the rest of the replies on this thread.

5 minutes ago, Shantanu08 said:

It's a hardware issue.

in that case, it's probably board repair (prob not worth)

or (try this only if you're gonna bin the card) you can try heating the GPU core to ~120c for 3-5 minutes with heatgun/oven

or it's the bin, unfortunately

edit: you could also try underclocking both gpu and mem clock, see if it solves the issue

power limit too

On 9/30/2020 at 7:47 PM, Moonzy said:

in that case, it's probably board repair (prob not worth)

or (try this only if you're gonna bin the card) you can try heating the GPU core to ~120c for 3-5 minutes with heatgun/oven

or it's the bin, unfortunately

edit: you could also try underclocking both gpu and mem clock, see if it solves the issue

power limit too

I had tried underclocking both GPU and Memory clock with power consumption using MSI Afterburner already (this was one of the things I had mentioned in my tom's hardware thread). It just made me feel like the problem was gone for a few days and then it become as frequent as before without the underclocking. I guess I'll just throw it away. Thanks for trying to help!

26 minutes ago, Shantanu08 said:

I had tried underclocking both GPU and Memory clock with power consumption using MSI Afterburner already (this was one of the things I had mentioned in my tom's hardware thread). It just made me feel like the problem was gone for a few days and then it become as frequent as before without the underclocking. I guess I'll just throw it away. Thanks for trying to help!

hmm

sounds like a degrading chip

well if you're gonna bin it anyways, could always try the oven method before you do