i want to change my pc case and do i have to reinstall windows

saba17

i am going to buy a new pc case with rgb coolers and after i put my pc parts  in the new case do i have to  reinstall windows or is my data save

4 minutes ago, sabapro17 said:

i am going to buy a new pc case with rgb coolers and after i put my pc parts  in the new case do i have to  reinstall windows or is my data save

As long as you use the same boot drive and don't damage it your Windows install will remain intact. If you replace your motherboard in the process, that might be a different story. Your Windows install and your data will still be there, you just might not be able to boot into the operating system. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Recommended to re- install windows with a USB drive when you change motherboard, the rest are fine

GPU you can do DDU

So you don't have to format for case swap

But it's still nice to format occasionally, gets rid of junks

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

11 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Recommended to re- install windows with a USB drive when you change motherboard, the rest are fine

GPU you can do DDU

So you don't have to format for case swap

But it's still nice to format occasionally, gets rid of junks

no i am only going to change my case.other parts are new.i buildt this pc 3 month ago

1 hour ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

As long as you use the same boot drive and don't damage it your Windows install will remain intact. If you replace your motherboard in the process, that might be a different story. Your Windows install and your data will still be there, you just might not be able to boot into the operating system. 

no i am going to change only pc case other parts are new.i buldt this pc 3 month ago but didnt bought the case so i am going to replace it.so i dont have to reinstall windows?

7 minutes ago, sabapro17 said:

no i am only going to change my case.other parts are new.i buildt this pc 3 month ago

Then you don't need to reinstall

Just giving you a general guide

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

13 hours ago, airborne spoon said:

As long as you use the same drive and everything there shouldn't be any issues. just avoid smacking the crap out of your drive or anything like that while moving it

so after i change case and put everything in new case do i have to control coolers(how fast they work) or is it same as the old one.DOES it save

5 hours ago, sabapro17 said:

so after i change case and put everything in new case do i have to control coolers(how fast they work) or is it same as the old one.DOES it save

If you plug in everything in the same way you did before, you will be fine. The case is a rather passive component, that usually doesn't really do anything apart from providing buttons, ports and lights. Everything that really matters for your OS install, is the OS drive, motherboard, CPU and GPU to some extend.

If you are changing fans and the speed it based on rpm or voltage, they could run slower or faster compared to the new ones. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

12 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

If you are changing fans and the speed it based on rpm or voltage, they could run slower or faster compared to the new ones. 

yes i am changing the case and that case has 4 rgb  coolers 

So I recommend to make upgrading ANYTHING and being fearful of losing your windows key, link your windows key to your account and from then on no matter the hardware as long as you sign in with your Microsoft account, you'll have windows.

5 minutes ago, mino636 said:

So I recommend to make upgrading ANYTHING and being fearful of losing your windows key, link your windows key to your account and from then on no matter the hardware as long as you sign in with your Microsoft account, you'll have windows.

after i change the case do i have to reinstall windows?

2 minutes ago, sabapro17 said:

after i change the case do i have to reinstall windows?

You only need to reinstall windows if you change your storage. And it is a pain transferring data from one storage to another cause most programs that transfer all the data AND the OS cost money to use. However, if you dont have your windows key linked to your Microsoft account, when you change your motherboard you'll need to buy a new key.

Just now, mino636 said:

You only need to reinstall windows if you change your storage. And it is a pain transferring data from one storage to another cause most programs that transfer all the data AND the OS cost money to use. However, if you dont have your windows key linked to your Microsoft account, when you change your motherboard you'll need to buy a new key.

no i am not going to change anything. my pc parts are new.just bought 3 months ago. just going to change the case and nothing else

46 minutes ago, mino636 said:

35 minutes ago, mino636 said:

Quit with the fear mongering, the guy is changing out the case, and literally nothing else there is no concern for any alarm and its a simple and easy task.

16 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

Quit with the fear mongering, the guy is changing out the case, and literally nothing else there is no concern for any alarm and its a simple and easy task.

so everything is going to save right?

You aren’t changing anything. So there’s nothing to lose. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, sabapro17 said:

no i am not going to change anything. my pc parts are new.just bought 3 months ago. just going to change the case and nothing else

yea you wont need a reinstall again then. you're fine

56 minutes ago, airborne spoon said:

im not fear mongering, i was giving extra advice to make things easier aswell as answering his question? I told him that if he is scared of losing his windows product key then he should link it to his account? You go on twitter too much lol.

2 hours ago, mino636 said:

You go on twitter too much lol.

I have no idea what my comment has to do with twitter. Also i hate that platform and find it very difficult to use.

12 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

You aren’t changing anything. So there’s nothing to lose. 

i want to take parts from old case to a new one by my self.so is it hard to do with youtube tutorials

24 minutes ago, sabapro17 said:

i want to take parts from old case to a new one by my self.so is it hard to do with youtube tutorials

Which means nothing is changing. You just take the parts out and put them back in. Couldn’t get any easier then that. 

i am going to change my pc case so is everything going to save.drivers,windows my data is everything going to save

Sure, if the case is the only change you shouldn't have to do anything afterwards.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)