GPU pass through and PciE lanes

Won't the GPUs be running at 8x, and how will that affect performance?

I'm thinking about building a virtual machine where I do a lot of gaming, and she does a lot of photoshop and blender.

Just now, XylophoniX said:

Won't the GPUs be running at 8x

No, passing a GPU through won't change the number of lanes it is using.

1 minute ago, XylophoniX said:

I'm thinking about building a virtual machine where I do a lot of gaming, and she does a lot of photoshop and blender.

Just to make sure you know what you are doing: you need two GPUs at a minimum, then. One for you, one for the virtual-machine. Also, you'll need to be running Linux. If you want both of you running Windows, you'll need to set up the host-OS to run in a headless mode and you'll need to then be running two virtual-machines on top of it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 minute ago, WereCatf said:

No, passing a GPU through won't change the number of lanes it is using.

Which mobo/CPU combo supports dual 4.0x16?

2 minutes ago, XylophoniX said:

Which mobo/CPU combo supports dual 4.0x16?

I dunno. Haven't had any reason to care.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 minutes ago, gloop said:

Some sort of Threadripper/Xtreme Series. 

Thank you. I didn't even look at the sTRX4 socket.

9 minutes ago, XylophoniX said:

Thank you. I didn't even look at the sTRX4 socket.

just saying, there is software that let multiple users on one pc without doing passthough, look at aster or other multi seat software. One gpu should be fine here.

Id still suggest just have 2 pcs easier to manager and work with, and often a simmilar price.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Id still suggest just have 2 pcs easier to manager and work with, and often a simmilar price

I have a hard time of imagining a situation where two people would benefit more from a single setup instead of two separate ones -- the two people share a single point of failure, instead of having two separate, independent ones, plus you still need almost all the same hardware.

Just to serve as a warning, you are likely to find this to be difficult.

GPU passthrough is frequently not all that it's touted to be. You additionally can incur non negligible system performance impacts when virtualizing, especially for very low latency tasks like gaming.

There are things you can do to negate some of the performance impacts, but these things will increase the cost to nearly the same cost as building two computers. Once you include the cost of the type of hypervisor that will be required to negate these issues, well, you might as well have built the two computers.

That's not to mention that the whole thing is likely not to work at all for some workloads or apps.

Virtualizing a gaming rig can be a significant administrative challenge.

On the other hand, if one powerful rig really is the best solution for you, you might also want to consider a thin client setup used in tandem with game streaming. That would be easier to administrate and, if done correctly, could provide about the same performance as a virtualized solution.

Just to be realistic for a moment though, I highly suspect that you are making a mountain out of a mole hill. Why exactly is only having one computer that will still have nearly the same cost as two the best solution for you? Why can't you just build one nice computer and share it? Why can't you build two slightly less nice computers and not have to share at all? If a single very nice machine is really the best solution, have you considered all possible alternatives, like using thin clients?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

-> Moved to CPUs, Motherboards and Memory

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv