Searching for a laptop!!!!

Luis P

Hi everyone, im an Industrial engineer student, and my old laptop had better days, A Toshiba C55-D With a 4 core AMD-A8-6410 and for normal tasks it works fine, i upgraded the ram to 16gigs and a 860 qvo ssd, but that’s not enough for using Autodesk Apps, i do photography and video editing as a hobby and is not working properly for me, :/, i just want to know if it is a good time for buying a new laptop (all the new hardware that is coming out).

Its mandatory for me bc i move a lot, i know it would be easier to build a pc, but my lifestyle requires to have a laptop, and it’s getting frustrating getting blue screens when I open a autodesk app, or have a class and cant use more than 3 programs at the same time...

I was looking foward to a Lenovo L340 gaming o r a Lenovo Legion Y545, i guess those are on the sweet spot for me, but im not sure of making the decision now, what y’all think???

Hi, 

If it has to be one of those you mention, then I would go for the  Lenovo Legion Y545. Better processor, Better GPU, more RAM, More Space. 

Do you have any other option and or budget limit?

I don't know if I would get a Y series, the build quality is meh and I've never like the keyboard. I have a Y530 that let me down. You can get a used P52, with warranty on ebay with good spec. I have a P52 that's rock solid, and a new XPS 15 9500 that's also been a good machine. Only had the XPS for a little over a day now but I've already used it for a ton of work without any issues. The typing experience has been great, non 4k screen which is amazing and the display works flawlessly in the sun. I already had loads of dongles for my P52 so that transition hasn't been hard for me, already have a TB3 dock as well. I have the 10875h which has had decent thermals and amazing performance. I run a few VM's in the background and so odd things have happened, I leave it on the cool setting. I added the laptop to my domain so it's got LTSC.

CPU: i7-4770k @4.8ghz---Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth z97---Ram 32gb Corsair Vengeance---GPU: 2 EVGA GTX 980 4gb way sli---Case: Corsair 600T White---Storage: 500gb 850 Pro & WD Black 4tb---PSU: Corsair RM1000