Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JimBobBrown

Build for GF

Posted · Original PosterOP

Budget (including currency): 1500$

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for:  Just generally having a PC, Some gaming

Well, My girlfriend wants a computer and i have built some in the past so here we go. She basically just wants a computer in general, she said she would like to try gaming and video editing etc. She has also said she wants it to last a long time and after its built does not really want to ever open the case. Only must haves she has said is that she wants a big monitor, 24" at least. 1440p or higher. and bluetooth and wifi. 

Here is what i currently have. 

seems decent, 3700x might be a bit more than needed though. i own the h510, and i do like it, but airflow is not great, and dust collection is an issue, so i don't think i would recommend it, especially if you don't intend to open it and clean it often. meshify c, or phanteks p400 would be better for airflow if that is a concern.

Just now, bmx6454 said:

seems decent, 3700x might be a bit more than needed though. i own the h510, and i do like it, but airflow is not great, and dust collection is an issue, so i don't think i would recommend it, especially if you don't intend to open it and clean it often. meshify c, or phanteks p400 would be better for airflow if that is a concern.

Is there a case somewhat similar to the Meshify C Mini, I forgot another thing, She would prefer a case on the smaller side and preferably not glass. 

Here's my recommendation:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($174.99 @ Walmart) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55 CFM CPU Cooler  ($59.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($188.35 @ Amazon) 
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($71.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($104.99 @ Adorama) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($68.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($119.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Acer V277U 27.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor  ($225.79 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1070.02
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 20:57 EDT-0400

What I changed:

1. 3700X is overkill for anything other than very intensive video editing. If she's editing heavy 4K files it might be worth it, otherwise you can overclock a 3600 to 3600X speeds, and save a nice bit of money.
  2. Entry-level Noctua CPU cooler to help overclock the 3600 (Noctua fans are top-of-the-line).
  3. Grab a better-rated NVMe drive, plus an HDD for archival storage. 
  4. Better rated PSU (or you can choose another one that's rated Tier B or higher on the PSU tier list).

Some notes:

• You might notice I removed the GPU and left about ~$500 in the budget. That's because, if you can wait about a month, the RTX 3070 is going to be unparalleled in price-to-performance metrics.
  • The H510 isn't known for having incredible airflow, but if you like how it looks, that's fine.

Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.

2 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Here's my recommendation:

It's weird to look at recent builds and see the motherboard be more expensive than the CPU.

TBH I'd use the B550M-DS3H which has the best VRM out of the cheapo motherboards.

Use the money saved for some DDR4 3600 CL14 and use this PSU (it's a lot better if you're a PSU enthusiast, or marginally so if you're a normal user)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/4xGnTW/phanteks-amp-650-w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ph-p650g_us01

This PSU is based on the 2019 Seasonic Focus GX.

The biggest selling point to me is the 10-year warranty instead of 7 on the G3 (they should both be nigh silent).

TBH I'd save on motherboard, cooler and PSU (the model I linked is $20 cheaper) and try to stretch to get a nice 1440@144Hz or 4K display. Those are arount $400.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: PowerColor PCS+ R9 290

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone Fara R1-based case for half the price

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Logitech G203 Prodigy

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: 2x Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

It's weird to look at recent builds and see the motherboard be more expensive than the CPU.

I agree. The only reason I kept the motherboard from the original list was because the selection of ATX B550 boards with WiFi is so limited that most of them are actually more expensive than the X570 listed above. 

Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.

4 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

I agree. The only reason I kept the motherboard from the original list was because the selection of ATX B550 boards with WiFi is so limited that most of them are actually more expensive than the X570 listed above. 

Honestly, Motherboards with WiFi are not worth it nowadays. Not when there's very good wifi adapters that are USB.

Like, you can spend $16 on a TP-Link Archer T2U Plus which is USB but has a full size antenna, and instead of paying $180 for the mobo you can grab one for $90

(same for bluetooth adapters. You can even grab a PCIe wifi+bluetooth card in this case)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Energycore said:

Honestly, Motherboards with WiFi are not worth it nowadays. Not when there's very good wifi adapters that are USB.

Like, you can spend $16 on a TP-Link Archer T2U Plus which is USB but has a full size antenna, and instead of paying $180 for the mobo you can grab one for $90

OP specified that they also wanted Bluetooth, so something like this might be more suitable.

Just now, bellabichon said:

OP specified that they also wanted Bluetooth, so something like this might be more suitable.

Right. I'm not very knowledgeable regarding bluetooth/wifi adapters, but a B550-DS3H + that adapter should save some $30

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

48 minutes ago, bellabichon said:

Here's my recommendation

Lol, why does everyone use the same drives? It's always a P1 and a 2tb barracuda compute 

I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

• NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor  ($294.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: MSI B450-A PRO MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team T-FORCE DARK Z 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($94.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Team MP34 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($110.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Dual Video Card  ($397.98 @ Amazon) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR600 (w/o ODD) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($69.98 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($99.99 @ Amazon) 
Wireless Network Adapter: Ziyituod ZYT-AX200 PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi Adapter  ($29.99 @ Amazon) 
Monitor: Acer V277U 27.0" 2560x1440 75 Hz Monitor  ($225.79 @ Amazon) 
Total: $1479.68
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-24 21:57 EDT-0400

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

1 hour ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

Lol, why does everyone use the same drives? It's always a P1 and a 2tb barracuda compute 

...Because the Crucial P1 1TB is a well priced drive that preforms adequately and the Seagate Barracuda 2TB runs at 7200RPM with a 256MB cache which makes it one of the faster hard drives on the market today? Not exactly sure what you're getting at.  

Well thanks everyone for the advice, Im going with the b550 ds3h and the adapter route, And i convinced her to wait another month for zen 3 and maybe a 3060, Also gonna for a 4k monitor because might as well. 

Only thing im still unsure of is case, I like the Meshify C Mini but its glass