Overclocking Conundrum: Ryzen 5 3600 4.4ghz - Strange Temps

damoses1
Go to solution Solved by damoses1,

Ok mystery solved. I took a look at the cpu voltage while stock, running CPUz stress test, and i was at 1.39v. Overclocked to 4.4ghz my voltage was only 1.11v. This explains why my chip is running 20 degrees hotter stock vs 4.4ghz overclocked. Pretty sure this voltage is VERY LOW for 4.4ghz but I'm not complaining at all. I'll just keep it at 4.4ghz from now on.

Userbenchmark Scores - 3600.PNG

I recently installed a 240mm water cooler. My R5 3600 CPU temp is 75 degrees under full load. I recently overclocked my cpu by simply adjusting the multiplier in the bios and achieved a stable 4.4ghz. What I can’t seem to figure out, though, is why my CPU temps are now at 55 degrees at 4.4ghz under full load running CPUZ stress test or prime95. 20 degrees cooler while overclocked??? I’ve run this test several times with all fans running at locked 50% and get the same results: 75 degrees stock (boosting naturally to 4.2ghz) and 55 degrees when OC to 4.4ghz locked. They both idle at 30 degrees. 

This is an awesome problem to have but it’s driving me crazy! BTW I’m using a Gigabyte B550M DS3H motherboard. Anyone have any thoughts as to why I’m seeing LOWER temps overclocked vs stock? Thanks in advance for helpful comments.

Have you checked temps in bios and what other programs did you use? HWInfo? Use multiple to make sure.

I'm not very good with this but I could maybe help you.

And maybe when re-installing that new cooler you could've bent a pin or messed up a sensor. Or messed up the motherboard somehow.

Depending on the board, the SOC voltage can be up to 1.47V or so stock, it doesn't just always stay there, but it can go that high. To get a stable OC, you likely set a much more conservative voltage, somewhere in the 1.3 range. Temp is directly proportional to voltage, so lower voltage equals lower temps. That's just my best guess.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X · Cooler: Artic Liquid Freezer II 280 · Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify · RAM: G.skill Ripjaws V 2x16GB 3600MHz CL16 (2Rx8) · Graphics Card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3060 Ti TUF Gaming · Boot Drive: 500GB WD Black SN750 M.2 NVMe SSD · Game Drive: 2TB Crucial MX500 SATA SSD · PSU: Corsair White RM850x 850W 80+ Gold · Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow · Monitor: MSI Optix MAG342CQR 34” UWQHD 3440x1440 144Hz · Keyboard: Corsair K100 RGB Optical-Mechanical Gaming Keyboard (OPX Switch) · Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw RGB Wireless Gaming Mouse

7 minutes ago, ihavequestions said:

Have you checked temps in bios and what other programs did you use? HWInfo? Use multiple to make sure.

I'm not very good with this but I could maybe help you.

I’m using Hardware Monitor to see the fan temps during stress tests. No bent pins. Just running cooler when overclocked. I’m using the bios to change the clock settings.

8 minutes ago, Chris Pratt said:

Depending on the board, the SOC voltage can be up to 1.47V or so stock, it doesn't just always stay there, but it can go that high. To get a stable OC, you likely set a much more conservative voltage, somewhere in the 1.3 range. Temp is directly proportional to voltage, so lower voltage equals lower temps. That's just my best guess.

I’ve kept the voltage on auto for the overclock. Maybe since it’s locked at 4.4ghz it doesn’t have to ramp up and down on voltage as the stock chip would be boosting the cores to 4.2ghz.

4 minutes ago, damoses1 said:

I’ve kept the voltage on auto for the overclock. Maybe since it’s locked at 4.4ghz it doesn’t have to ramp up and down on voltage as the stock chip would be boosting the cores to 4.2ghz.

The big question for me is what where the V-cores at under load with each test you ran?

Screen shots?

Ok mystery solved. I took a look at the cpu voltage while stock, running CPUz stress test, and i was at 1.39v. Overclocked to 4.4ghz my voltage was only 1.11v. This explains why my chip is running 20 degrees hotter stock vs 4.4ghz overclocked. Pretty sure this voltage is VERY LOW for 4.4ghz but I'm not complaining at all. I'll just keep it at 4.4ghz from now on.

Userbenchmark Scores - 3600.PNG