144HZ 1440P monitor £400 budget. Monitor for a friend.

The Torrent

My friend wants a 27inch 1440p 144hz monitor.

He has a £400 GBP budget.

He currently has 3 samsung 1080p 60hz ones and is gonna upgrade to a 2070 so wants a monitor to accompany that. He's gonna keep 2 of his 1080p monitors on the left and right.

Uses: Gaming and working nothing that needs colour accuracy.

If you're lucky. Maybe you can find LG 27GN850 for about £400. Which is IPS panel.

Or AOC Q27G2U, which uses VA panel, for ~£270.

20 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

My friend wants a 27inch 1440p 144hz monitor.

He has a £400 GBP budget.

He currently has 3 samsung 1080p 60hz ones and is gonna upgrade to a 2070 so wants a monitor to accompany that. He's gonna keep 2 of his 1080p monitors on the left and right.

Uses: Gaming and working nothing that needs colour accuracy.

There are some decent 300-350ish monitors that do 1440/144hz.

Like anything it's about levels, so it won't be as good as a monitor costing 800...that's obvious. 

Still, a little research will reveal some good options. 

Asus, Samsung, the usual suspects. 

The AOC that Deli mentioned is supposed to decent.

Just make sure you check and double to check to make sure you are getting what you need.

Nothing worse than finding out your 1440p is only 60hz when you unbox it.

The Gigabyte G27Q looks quite compelling to me, at least at the price point here in the Netherlands (€~350). I'm not buying it because it uses like 60W of power (according to the specs), and I'd like to keep the power bill down, plus I'll be picking up two of the same monitor. But if you're only getting one and the power bill isn't a serious issue this monitor looks like a very good price to performance option.

4 minutes ago, Asthereal said:

The Gigabyte G27Q looks quite compelling to me, at least at the price point here in the Netherlands (€~350). I'm not buying it because it uses like 60W of power, and I'd like to keep the power bill down, plus I'll be picking up two of the same monitor. But if you're only getting one and the power bill isn't a serious issue this monitor looks like a very good price to performance option.

This one is quite new. Not many reviews yet. Get one(or two), and tell us how good it is.  :)

3 minutes ago, Deli said:

This one is quite new. Not many reviews yet. Get one(or two), and tell us how good it is.  :)

Unfortunately for you, I'm probably picking up two 75Hz panels, as I am a VERY casual gamer.

(Frustration of the day: I was about to buy two, but when I added the second one to my cart, the delivery date moved to a day when I'm not at home, so I couldn't buy two at the same time. Then I got frustrated and decided not to buy anything just yet.)

But you're right, it's probably a good idea to wait for a few reviews on this one, if you can. I did see a number of reviews of the AOC 144Hz 1440p 27" VA panel that's supposed to cost around €280-300ish, but the viewing angles aren't great apparently, and I don't ever sit still, so I decided against that one. Might be a factor for OP as well, hence my IPS rec.

3 minutes ago, Asthereal said:

Unfortunately for you, I'm probably picking up two 75Hz panels, as I am a VERY casual gamer.

(Frustration of the day: I was about to buy two, but when I added the second one to my cart, the delivery date moved to a day when I'm not at home, so I couldn't buy two at the same time. Then I got frustrated and decided not to buy anything just yet.)

But you're right, it's probably a good idea to wait for a few reviews on this one, if you can. I did see a number of reviews of the AOC 144Hz 1440p 27" VA panel that's supposed to cost around €280-300ish, but the viewing angles aren't great apparently, and I don't ever sit still, so I decided against that one. Might be a factor for OP as well, hence my IPS rec.

Gigabyte like to use the same panel but offer the end product cheaper. I was in the process to order a Gigabyte G34WQC two days ago. This monitor uses the same panel as AOC CU34G2X, but €80 cheaper. Before I finished check out, the monitor became unavailable. Obviously someone was just a few seconds faster than me.

11 minutes ago, Deli said:

Gigabyte like to use the same panel but offer the end product cheaper. I was in the process to order a Gigabyte G34WQC two days ago. This monitor uses the same panel as AOC CU34G2X, but €80 cheaper. Before I finished check out, the monitor became unavailable. Obviously someone was just a few seconds faster than me.

You seem to know your stuff better than me and you live in the same country as me. I could use your help. :)

1 minute ago, Asthereal said:

You seem to know your stuff better than me and you live in the same country as me. I could use your help. :)

I broke my gaming monitor two weeks ago. So I's hunting a new monitor also.