Does noctua heatsink covers effect performance?

Mahbub

I am going to buy the noctua nh d15, i want to know that will putting the noctua heatsink covers on the nh d15 degrade the performance of the cooler or not?

i dunno why they would, not like theyre obstructing airflow lol. my d15s with 1 fan and 2 covers seems perfectly fine

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

If the cover only hides the part of the heat sink that is against the side wall, probably not.  If the cover will obstruct fan airflow over the fins, though, then probably yes.  

#Muricaparrotgang

Folding@Home Stats | Current PC Loadout:

Small                        Bigger				Biggerer				Biggest
Fractal Design Focus G       NZXT H1				Lian LI O11 Dynamic XL			Fractal Design Meshify C
FX-8320                      Ryzen 3 3200G			Ryzen 5 3600				Ryzen 7 3700X
120mm AIO                    120mm AIO				Custom 280mm loop			Noctua NH-D15
A motherboard                ASRock B450 mobo			MSI x570 mobo				MSI x570 mobo
16gb DDR3                    16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3200			16gb DDR4 @ 3600
a melange of HDDs/SSDs       WD 1tb m.2				WD 500gb m.2				WD 1tb m.2/2tb HDD
PNY GTX 1070 x2              GTX 1070				GTX 1070 FE				MSI RTX 2080 TI
some 650w PSU                650W SFX-L 80+ Gold		MSI RTX 2080 Super			EVGA SuperNova 750w 80+ GOLD 
								Corsair RM850x 80+ GOLD

Noctua wouldn't do themselves dirty like that.  You have nothing to worry about, Chromax on!

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, VeganJoy said:

i dunno why they would, not like theyre obstructing airflow lol. my d15s with 1 fan and 2 covers seems perfectly fine

I am afraid because m going to mount the cooler as top exhaust... Now in that orientation wont the covers choke the fans, because the bottom fan will be too close to gpu backplate and middle fan wont be able to pull vold air because the fins will be blocked by the cover... Thats whats making me afraid abt the covers

2 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Noctua wouldn't do themselves dirty like that.  You have nothing to worry about, Chromax on!

I am afraid because m going to mount the cooler as top exhaust... Now in that orientation wont the covers choke the fans, because the bottom fan will be too close to gpu backplate and middle fan wont be able to pull vold air because the fins will be blocked by the cover... Thats whats making me afraid abt the covers

1 minute ago, Mahbub said:

well it doesnt matter in that case anyways, the sides of the fins dont have holes in em lol. might need to rethink that one

e: well i guess if you only use 1 fan.... maybe? really not a great plan but i guess in that situation it might matter? what case is this?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

well it doesnt matter in that case anyways, the sides of the fins dont have holes in em lol. might need to rethink that one

No no i meant in top orientation not purtting the cover means front fans will blow on the fins and putting cover means the only effective aur sucking for the cooler will be bottom fan which will be too close to gpu.. now if i was mounting with back as exhaust then covers are fine.. the fans suck in fresh air and exhaust off the back..  but my pc is very close to the wall so top is my exhaust and putting cover on the d15 with top orientation.. wont that choke air intake into the cooler? I hope i could make my point clear

4 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

e: well i guess if you only use 1 fan.... maybe? really not a great plan but i guess in that situation it might matter? what case is this?

Nzxt h 500.. 

5 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

I plan to use both fans.. which makes cover all the more dangerous for me.. because then the air will be only sucked by bottom fan which will be very close to gpu.. not putting covers will mean fans can suck in fresh aur thru side of tge fins from front fans blowing on them.. putting cover blocks that airflow

Just now, Mahbub said:

which makes cover all the more dangerous for me

The cover is not dangerous.  It does not block airflow.  Did you look at how it installs?

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

The cover is not dangerous.  It does not block airflow.  Did you look at how it installs?

Yes.. u didnt understand my concern.. its not an issue if i mount the cooler with back as exhaust.. the fans suck air from front fan exhaust at back simple..

I am mounting my cooler in the top position.. vertically.. not horizontally.. now the d15 is a two tower cooler so in horizontal orientation, the bottom fan will be very close to the gpu, and if i put cover then the only intake effectively will be bottom fan which will ne close to the gpu, without the covers the top fan can suck in more air thru the side.. i hope i am making myself clear.. now do u see why m afraid? Putting the cooler horizontally and putting cover blocks the fresh air from front fan from hitting the fin sides.. wont it?

14 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

6 minutes ago, Velcade said:

Here this is how i wanna mount the cooler (without topmost fan), now in this orientation the sides become primary intake right? And putting cover will block the sides off and block the fresh air from front fans. Wont it?

images (1).jpeg

aight i mean yeah i guess the covers would restrict airflow, but thatd be a lot worse and louder than a normal configuration, unless the back of your case is completely flush with the wall

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

Just now, VeganJoy said:

aight i mean yeah i guess the covers would restrict airflow, but thatd be a lot worse and louder than a normal configuration, unless the back of your case is completely flush with the wall

Thats my issue. My pc is close enough to the wall and back exhaust makes the hot air hit the wall and come back towards me.. and summers here are absolutely hit af, and i dont need the extra heat, so my exhaust is top, right now i have noctua nh u 12s but with a cover because theres enough space between gpu and bottom fan for it to suck cool air.. but with d15 in vertical orientaion the bottom fan will be like millimetres away from gpu and wont putting covers block off all air suck in paths? Thats whats making me afraid.. if it were back exhaust the covers would be a no brainer.. but with horizontal mount the covers block off too much air intake paths..

5 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

And also another reason for the vertical mount is i suffer from ocd, i study on my pc and seeing the rotating fan blades distracts me, heat plus that is the reason for vertical mount, i am fine with some more noise but seeing the fan blades rotate in my peripheral vision wont let me concentrate

i guess no covers for you 🤷‍♂️

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

i guess no covers for you 🤷‍♂️

Unfortunately 😞 does it look too bad without covers?

23 minutes ago, Mahbub said:

Unfortunately 😞 does it look too bad without covers?

nah i dont mind the noctua coolers stock, though the covers add to the looks neither looks bad to me. obviously a lot of people detest the classic color scheme so thatll be a you thing

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

Just now, VeganJoy said:

nah i dont mind the noctua coolers stock, though the covers add to the looks neither looks bad to me. obviously a lot of people detest the classic color scheme so thatll be a you thing

No no i bought the chromax black d15, its all black, fans also black

Just now, Mahbub said:

No no i bought the chromax black d15, its all black, fans also black

yeah it looks great, should be no problems there

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

Just now, VeganJoy said:

yeah it looks great, should be no problems there

Thanks 😊😊