Botting in the PC world (from an experienced botters perspective)

AMDPRO
11 minutes ago, porina said:

They have nothing to gain if you assume "any sale is a sale", However they might want to build up goodwill with customers who choose to buy more routine items from them in the future. 

People are mad on launch day, but a week later they'll have gotten over it.

Nobody's going to go shop at a particular place 6 months down the road because "they made a messy launch a tiny bit less of a mess".

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

Like OP says there is nothing you can do to stop bots. Selling only in brick & mortar is hardly a solution especially in a pandemic.

Bots have been around for a long time in other products but this it the first time PC gamers are really experiencing it. You'll get over it.

The only way to stop bots is to make enough stock that they can't buy it all

In real life, I act like I know less about tech than I actually do.

Main build: CPU: AMD Phenom ii X4 955 Black Edition @ 4,0GHz (Cooler Master 212) | GPU: MSI RX580 8Gb | RAM: 12Gb DDR3 | PSU: Chieftec CTB-500S  | Mobo: Asus M4A87TD/USB3 | Storage: Seagate 500Gb HDD

Yes, I'm aware my CPU is a huge bottleneck. No, I don't really care.

Laptop: Asus TUF FX505DT 60Hz 8Gb model

"Fortifications, cannons and foreign aid won't help unless every man knows that he himself is a guardian of his country"

-Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim

An easy solution would be require use of a two-factor authentication key/dongle for any orders of products that are new releases. 

Buyer gets a 4-8 digit  code on the screen, has to input it on the 2 factor thing , then type the 8-16 digits answer into the order form and complete the order. Each 2 factor thing has a unique code/serial built in that is combined with the 4-8 digit input to generate an answer that's only valid for the next few minutes and different than any other hardware key.

It's more or less how i login into my bank's internet banking solution at the moment.

To slow down things more, the 2 factor thing could wait 5-15s before returning the code. The code would be valid only for 3-5 minutes and then expires and a new code would be generated.

The store could set limits like maximum 3 pairs of shoes from the new stock per day, but maximum 5 pairs per week, or whatever. 

The 2 factor hardware could be sold by a trusted third party, which could require a valid ID and only allow 1-3 hardware keys per person or something like that. If a new hardware key is requested on one ID, one of the previously ordered ones would be disabled. 

Sure, a botter could make up a machine that presses the keys of such hardware key and then takes a picture of the answer (after that optional delay) and fill in the form automatically, but that's not the point ... the point is that hardware key identifies the person, and each person can buy only one or let's say up to 3 (family pack or whatever)

In volume, such hardware dongles would cost 10-20 euro, maybe even less.

Bots in multiplayer games though. Now those can be funny at times. Well... not if you're stuck with all your teammates being bots.

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580