Cannot boot into Windows only after a restart, shut down and turn on works fine

Cerlancism

I recently transferred my OS from m.2 SATA SSD to m.2 NVME SSD using EASUS todo backup clone function.

Everything worked fine but if it gets restarted it will stuck at boot up showing "Checking media presence , no media present" indicating missing boot device. However, turning it off and on using the power button it will boot normally again.

Now I tried a full reinstall Windows this weird behaviour still persist. Is there possibly a BIOS issue of my machine when using a NVME SSD? It is a custom build Clover Laptop.

Try running BCDEdit:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bcdedit-command-line-options#:~:text=BCDEdit is a command-line,menu options%2C and so on.

Sometimes Windows can act weird after being cloned to a new drive. If all else fails FFR (F*cking Format and Reinstall) to see if problem persists.

Just now, Bad5ector said:

Try running BCDEdit:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/manufacture/desktop/bcdedit-command-line-options#:~:text=BCDEdit is a command-line,menu options%2C and so on.

Sometimes Windows can act weird after being cloned to a new drive. If all else fails FFR (F*cking Format and Reinstall) to see if problem persists.

Already tried BCDEdit and full reinstall.

Restart should be less problematic than shutdown/power, because is not using hybrid start (fast boot). That is difference between them.

If restart makes problems, something is wrong with full boot process.

After clone - do you made first boot with old drive disconnected? Also - what happens when you have only one drive connected?

3 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Restart should be less problematic than shutdown/power, because is not using hybrid start (fast boot). That is difference between them.

If restart makes problems, something is wrong with full boot process.

After clone - do you made first boot with old drive disconnected? Also - what happens when you have only one drive connected?

Already disconnected old drive. However, the old slot is a sata only m.2 slot. Basically my new drive currently is at the other slot supporting pcie. Which means I also can't move it to the slot the previous boot drive is using

2 minutes ago, Cerlancism said:

Already disconnected old drive. However, the old slot is a sata only m.2 slot. Basically my new drive currently is at the other slot supporting pcie. Which means I can't move it to the slot the previous boot drive is using

That is not what I mean. Slot is not important. Drive ID is.

After clone you should boot first using only single drive, then plug old drive.

Before that (after clone or reinstall) you can also remove everything from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

and boot again (first only with single drive, then shutdown and boot again with second drive connected). Windows repopulate this registry entry. Then connect new drive and system assing new letter and ID for that drive - proper this time.

Also - turn off Fast Boot in Windows so your restart and shutdown/power will work the same. A little longer but less problematic.

However I have an other HDD connected, but no boot data should be there as it is a data drive. I will try to disconnect it also now.

3 minutes ago, Cerlancism said:

However I have an other HDD connected, but no boot data should be there as it is a data drive. I will try to disconnect it also now.

Use MiniTool Partition wizard to investigate if your HDD contains extra partitions or not.

But you should made that registry key clean just to be sure that old drives do not get their old letters assignment.