Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
takagi19

Rocket League becomes "free-to-play", removed from Steam

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Rocket League has been removed from Steam as it becomes free-to-play. The game can now only be acquired thru Epic Games store. Aside from that, user also gets a $10 coupon that can be applied as a discount for the next purchase.

 

Quotes

Quote

Rocket League has been delisted on Steam as part of the game’s transition to free-to-play on all platforms. This means that new players will only be able to download the game via Epic Games Store.

Notice: At the request of the publisher, Rocket League® is unlisted on the Steam store and will not appear in search.

Interestingly, Epic Games Store is offering a 10 USD coupon for players who download the game its games launcher.

An Epic Coupon is applied at checkout when purchasing eligible games on the Epic Games Store. All Epic Coupons received for placing an order for Rocket League on Epic Games Store will expire on November 1st, 2:59 AM EST.

 

I just found out about Rocket League becoming free-to-play on one of the Facebook groups I'm currently in. I was actually waiting for this to become on sale on Steam until someone posted that it's now free on Epic Games. I tried checking my wishlist on Steam, but Rocket League is now gone, which is how I found this news. I hope that this won't affect the gameplay as more users can now play the game.

 

Sources

https://www.gaminginstincts.com/rocket-league-removed-from-steam/

https://www.slashgear.com/rocket-league-disappears-from-steam-heres-why-23639537

Link to post
Share on other sites

$10 coupon valid for purchases equal or above $14.99. So not the same as store credit. Keep also in mind that some payment methods add cost and there is still no shopping cart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Almost paying you to play Rocket League. Pretty nice.


ALIENWARE 13R3

i7-7700HQ | GTX 1060 | 16GB DDR4 | 512GB NVMe SSD | 1440p OLED display | Logitech MX Master KZ ZSA

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

"Free to play on all platforms". Eh no. 😂 


PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             GeForce® RTX 2070 SUPER™ GAMING OC 3X 8G

ryzen 5 2600x at 4.1 GHz all core               (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
hyper 212 black edition cooler                  (cpu cooler)          |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |     (Memory)      HyperX Predator RGB 2x8 at 3200

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)          Razer deathadder elite

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, takagi19 said:

Rocket League has been delisted on Steam as part of the game’s transition to free-to-play on all platforms. This means that new players will only be able to download the game via Epic Games Store

Nice and all, but not exactly all platforms then if Steam isn't in the "all platforms", is it? Kind of leeching away Steam's game library.

 

This sucks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, James Evens said:

$10 coupon valid for purchases equal or above $14.99. So not the same as store credit. Keep also in mind that some payment methods add cost and there is still no shopping cart.

Wat? How is there still no shopping cart. Wasn't that on the roadmap for under 6 months a year and a half ago?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope more devs move away from Steam. Let their fanboys cry and continue harassing devs and games for not being available on Steam. Monopolies like this shouldn't exist, especially not private companies that do not publish their profits.

The only reason HL3 is not coming and will NEVER come is because Gabe realized he sits on a pot of fucking money and will never have to lift a finger in his life again with exception of making new avatars for the braindead Steam community to buy with real money to make their shitty profiles prettier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I hope more devs move away from Steam. Let their fanboys cry and continue harassing devs and games for not being available on Steam. Monopolies like this shouldn't exist, especially not private companies that do not publish their profits.

The only reason HL3 is not coming and will NEVER come is because Gabe realized he sits on a pot of fucking money and will never have to lift a finger in his life again with exception of making new avatars for the braindead Steam community to buy with real money to make their shitty profiles prettier.

Excuse me, but you do know that epic was trying to BUY exclusivity for their store.

 

Wouldn't you call that trying to become a monopoly and bringing down the other available storefronts.

 

Also, their anti cheat is a huge middle finger to the linux gaming community because no matter what they say, they want you to play games using an OS that isn't fit for purpose considering how much M$ breaks with each update.

 

And NO I'm not a steam fanboy because I started buying games through GoG, and Epic is not going to get a single penny from me as long as they continue to act like anti-competitive a-holes.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, demonix00 said:

Excuse me, but you do know that epic was trying to BUY exclusivity for their store.

 

Wouldn't you call that trying to become a monopoly and bringing down the other available storefronts.

 

Also, their anti cheat is a huge middle finger to the linux gaming community because no matter what they say, they want you to play games using an OS that isn't fit for purpose considering how much M$ breaks with each update.

 

And NO I'm not a steam fanboy because I started buying games through GoG, and Epic is not going to get a single penny from me as long as they continue to act like anti-competitive a-holes.

I agree, steam isn't perfect but they do a lot of things right, especially feature wise. and it's obvious whatever epic *says* they would not be better they'd be worse...

 

can't really say much about gog, idea isn't bad, game selection lacking tho and some of their policies at least questionable. (like they removed my "cash back" money because I didn't log in for a while, haven't used it since...)


RYZEN 5 3600 | MSI GTX 1060 6GB GAMING X | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

 

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can still go to the page, though. Likely still able to download and start the game, too. I know I can do this with Nosgoth (though, since the servers are down, nothing happens).

 

Though, I've seen plenty of people saying you now need an Epic account to play it... Don't know how that works. If anyone has it currently installed, and wants to try and report back, it might help some folks. Otherwise, I can try to install it and go from there, if folks care enough.


Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not giving Epic Games any of my business if I can help it. Games using the Unreal engine being the exception (since that's basically all of them).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

The game can now only be acquired thru Epic Games store

*Wink wink nudge nudge* Totally not slowly becoming the villain here. Complains about monopolies, slowly builds their own monopoly. 


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we even need to consider Epic game store as a digital video game distributor? I think it'll be easier to think of them as their own console like platform that makes games exclusive which everybody hates them for.


If you're new to the forum it would be highly appreciated for you to visit this sub forum 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is why I'm really glad EA is putting their games on steam instead of keeping them origin exclusive. They seem to be going on the right track, Epic on the other hand? No.


You're gonna carry that weight.

Spoiler

hehe funni edgy signature

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

What we should aim for is that all games is on all stores/launchers. That way it's up to the consumers to choose stores/launchers based on their features, and they get more incentive to have the best features and gui.


“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Link to post
Share on other sites

lol, I posted this over a week ago.

 


I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

 

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

  • NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD
Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't tried it before, now that's Epic exclusive, I'm still not gonna try it even though my entire Epic account pretty much only exists as free games hoarding account lol. It satisfies my inner hamster, but I don't really use it. I would if Epic wasn't so cocky and arrogant about all of it that it just makes me not want to use it. I much rather stick around GOG. They roll in totally different, more pleasant way.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Mihle said:

What we should aim for is that all games is on all stores/launchers. That way it's up to the consumers to choose stores/launchers based on their features, and they get more incentive to have the best features and gui.

Of course that would be the best case scenario for consumers. But then game publishers would complain about something else as this is really just about the

money. 

 

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Haven't tried it before, now that's Epic exclusive, I'm still not gonna try it even though my entire Epic account pretty much only exists as free games hoarding account lol. It satisfies my inner hamster, but I don't really use it. I would if Epic wasn't so cocky and arrogant about all of it that it just makes me not want to use it. I much rather stick around GOG. They roll in totally different, more pleasant way.

I actually have one myself just for Overcooked and now reconsidering if I even want to redownload their launcher after I've reinstalled Windows. 


AMD Phenom™ II X6 1100T @ 4.0GHz | MSI 890FXA-GD65 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | Corsair A50 | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

AMD Phenom™ II X2 550 @ 3.10GHz | Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H | XFX Radeon HD 4870 | 4GB Corsair XMS2 | WD 250GB | Thermaltake TR2 500W | Windows 10 Pro

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Of course that would be the best case scenario for consumers. But then game publishers would complain about something else as this is really just about the

money. 

 

I actually have one myself just for Overcooked and now reconsidering if I even want to redownload their launcher after I've reinstalled Windows. 

I will never use Epics one because what they do, and will use GOG whenever it's possible.


“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

actually have one myself just for Overcooked and now reconsidering if I even want to redownload their launcher after I've reinstalled Windows. 

I have Hitman, GTAV, and both Watch Dogs on there for free,  so like 3 $60 games.


I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

 

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

  • NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Mihle said:

I will never use Epics one because what they do, and will use GOG whenever it's possible.

which what they do are you talking about?

 


I am still TechWizardThatNeedsHelp, just less of a mouthfull.

 

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

My new PC I'm saving for:

  • NZXT H1 Matte Black
    • Comes with a 650W NZXT PSU
    • NZXT AIO
  • Ryzen 5 3600
  • MSI B450i GAMING PLUS AC
  • XPG ADATA 2800Mhz
  • RX480 untill I have more for a 2060 or 2070
  • 2tb Sabrent Rocket Q PCIE gen 3 NVME SSD
  • Samsung 470 128GB SATA SSD
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×