Rocket League becomes "free-to-play", removed from Steam

takagi19

Rocket League has been removed from Steam as it becomes free-to-play. The game can now only be acquired thru Epic Games store. Aside from that, user also gets a $10 coupon that can be applied as a discount for the next purchase.

Quotes

Rocket League has been delisted on Steam as part of the game’s transition to free-to-play on all platforms. This means that new players will only be able to download the game via Epic Games Store.

Notice: At the request of the publisher, Rocket League® is unlisted on the Steam store and will not appear in search.

Interestingly, Epic Games Store is offering a 10 USD coupon for players who download the game its games launcher.

An Epic Coupon is applied at checkout when purchasing eligible games on the Epic Games Store. All Epic Coupons received for placing an order for Rocket League on Epic Games Store will expire on November 1st, 2:59 AM EST.

I just found out about Rocket League becoming free-to-play on one of the Facebook groups I'm currently in. I was actually waiting for this to become on sale on Steam until someone posted that it's now free on Epic Games. I tried checking my wishlist on Steam, but Rocket League is now gone, which is how I found this news. I hope that this won't affect the gameplay as more users can now play the game.

Sources

https://www.gaminginstincts.com/rocket-league-removed-from-steam/

https://www.slashgear.com/rocket-league-disappears-from-steam-heres-why-23639537

"Free to play on all platforms". Eh no. 😂 

PC: 
MSI B450 gaming pro carbon ac              (motherboard)      |    (Gpu)             ASRock Radeon RX 6950 XT Phantom Gaming D 16G

ryzen 7 5800X3D                                          (cpu)                |    (Monitor)        2560x1440 144hz (lg 32gk650f)
Arctic Liquid Freezer II 240 A-RGB           (cpu cooler)         |     (Psu)             seasonic focus plus gold 850w
Cooler Master MasterBox MB511 RGB    (PCcase)              |    (Memory)       Kingston Fury Beast 32GB (16x2) DDR4 @ 3.600MHz

Corsair K95 RGB Platinum                       (keyboard)            |    (mouse)         Razer Viper Ultimate

2 hours ago, takagi19 said:

Rocket League has been delisted on Steam as part of the game’s transition to free-to-play on all platforms. This means that new players will only be able to download the game via Epic Games Store

Nice and all, but not exactly all platforms then if Steam isn't in the "all platforms", is it? Kind of leeching away Steam's game library.

This sucks.

1 hour ago, James Evens said:

$10 coupon valid for purchases equal or above $14.99. So not the same as store credit. Keep also in mind that some payment methods add cost and there is still no shopping cart.

Wat? How is there still no shopping cart. Wasn't that on the roadmap for under 6 months a year and a half ago?

I hope more devs move away from Steam. Let their fanboys cry and continue harassing devs and games for not being available on Steam. Monopolies like this shouldn't exist, especially not private companies that do not publish their profits.

The only reason HL3 is not coming and will NEVER come is because Gabe realized he sits on a pot of fucking money and will never have to lift a finger in his life again with exception of making new avatars for the braindead Steam community to buy with real money to make their shitty profiles prettier.

9 hours ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

I hope more devs move away from Steam. Let their fanboys cry and continue harassing devs and games for not being available on Steam. Monopolies like this shouldn't exist, especially not private companies that do not publish their profits.

The only reason HL3 is not coming and will NEVER come is because Gabe realized he sits on a pot of fucking money and will never have to lift a finger in his life again with exception of making new avatars for the braindead Steam community to buy with real money to make their shitty profiles prettier.

Excuse me, but you do know that epic was trying to BUY exclusivity for their store.

Wouldn't you call that trying to become a monopoly and bringing down the other available storefronts.

Also, their anti cheat is a huge middle finger to the linux gaming community because no matter what they say, they want you to play games using an OS that isn't fit for purpose considering how much M$ breaks with each update.

And NO I'm not a steam fanboy because I started buying games through GoG, and Epic is not going to get a single penny from me as long as they continue to act like anti-competitive a-holes.

Is there anyway to play with my friend who has rocket league on steam using the epic game's version of rocket league?

1 hour ago, demonix00 said:

Excuse me, but you do know that epic was trying to BUY exclusivity for their store.

Wouldn't you call that trying to become a monopoly and bringing down the other available storefronts.

Also, their anti cheat is a huge middle finger to the linux gaming community because no matter what they say, they want you to play games using an OS that isn't fit for purpose considering how much M$ breaks with each update.

And NO I'm not a steam fanboy because I started buying games through GoG, and Epic is not going to get a single penny from me as long as they continue to act like anti-competitive a-holes.

I agree, steam isn't perfect but they do a lot of things right, especially feature wise. and it's obvious whatever epic *says* they would not be better they'd be worse...

can't really say much about gog, idea isn't bad, game selection lacking tho and some of their policies at least questionable. (like they removed my "cash back" money because I didn't log in for a while, haven't used it since...)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

You can still go to the page, though. Likely still able to download and start the game, too. I know I can do this with Nosgoth (though, since the servers are down, nothing happens).

Though, I've seen plenty of people saying you now need an Epic account to play it... Don't know how that works. If anyone has it currently installed, and wants to try and report back, it might help some folks. Otherwise, I can try to install it and go from there, if folks care enough.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i7 6850K

GPU: nVidia GTX 1080Ti (ZoTaC AMP! Extreme)

Motherboard: Gigabyte X99-UltraGaming

RAM: 16GB (2x 8GB) 3000Mhz EVGA SuperSC DDR4

Case: RaidMax Delta I

PSU: ThermalTake DPS-G 750W 80+ Gold

Monitor: Samsung 32" UJ590 UHD

Keyboard: Corsair K70

Mouse: Corsair Scimitar

Audio: Logitech Z200 (desktop); Roland RH-300 (headphones)

I'm not giving Epic Games any of my business if I can help it. Games using the Unreal engine being the exception (since that's basically all of them).

The game can now only be acquired thru Epic Games store

*Wink wink nudge nudge* Totally not slowly becoming the villain here. Complains about monopolies, slowly builds their own monopoly. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

Do we even need to consider Epic game store as a digital video game distributor? I think it'll be easier to think of them as their own console like platform that makes games exclusive which everybody hates them for.

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

This is why I'm really glad EA is putting their games on steam instead of keeping them origin exclusive. They seem to be going on the right track, Epic on the other hand? No.

You're gonna carry that weight.

Spoiler

hehe funni edgy signature

What we should aim for is that all games is on all stores/launchers. That way it's up to the consumers to choose stores/launchers based on their features, and they get more incentive to have the best features and gui.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

lol, I posted this over a week ago.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Haven't tried it before, now that's Epic exclusive, I'm still not gonna try it even though my entire Epic account pretty much only exists as free games hoarding account lol. It satisfies my inner hamster, but I don't really use it. I would if Epic wasn't so cocky and arrogant about all of it that it just makes me not want to use it. I much rather stick around GOG. They roll in totally different, more pleasant way.

12 minutes ago, Mihle said:

What we should aim for is that all games is on all stores/launchers. That way it's up to the consumers to choose stores/launchers based on their features, and they get more incentive to have the best features and gui.

Of course that would be the best case scenario for consumers. But then game publishers would complain about something else as this is really just about the

money. 

1 minute ago, RejZoR said:

Haven't tried it before, now that's Epic exclusive, I'm still not gonna try it even though my entire Epic account pretty much only exists as free games hoarding account lol. It satisfies my inner hamster, but I don't really use it. I would if Epic wasn't so cocky and arrogant about all of it that it just makes me not want to use it. I much rather stick around GOG. They roll in totally different, more pleasant way.

I actually have one myself just for Overcooked and now reconsidering if I even want to redownload their launcher after I've reinstalled Windows. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

3 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

Of course that would be the best case scenario for consumers. But then game publishers would complain about something else as this is really just about the

money. 

I actually have one myself just for Overcooked and now reconsidering if I even want to redownload their launcher after I've reinstalled Windows. 

I will never use Epics one because what they do, and will use GOG whenever it's possible.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

actually have one myself just for Overcooked and now reconsidering if I even want to redownload their launcher after I've reinstalled Windows. 

I have Hitman, GTAV, and both Watch Dogs on there for free,  so like 3 $60 games.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, Mihle said:

I will never use Epics one because what they do, and will use GOG whenever it's possible.

which what they do are you talking about?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Teddy07 said:

I hope Epic Store succeeds, because Steams 30% cut is highway robbery

No, steams cut is "theft, period."

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

I have Hitman, GTAV, and both Watch Dogs on there for free,  so like 3 $60 games.

Ha... I had Wash Doge on UPlay. Guess this brings me to another point as to why I don't like this whole Epic Store Battle thing. I had like 7 different Game Stores/ Launchers back then. 

1. Steam - L4D2 and a bunch of other stuff
  2. Battle.net - Destiny 2 which has since moved to Steam
  3. UPlay - Wash Doge
  4. Origin - When I played Battlefield 3 which I still do periodically
  5. Nexon Launcher - For when I still played Maplestory from time to time 
  6. Valofe - When I still played Combat Arms (yea I played that heaping pile when it first came out with Nexon)
  7. Epic - for Overcooked

Definitely did not appreciate having 7 different game launchers/ stores, definitely would not like having something similar happen to my phone.