New Headset

Coopermar

Hey everyone!

I have been using my astro a40s for almost 6 years now! I got them around Christmas 2014 and they have been pretty great. Aside from a few inline mute cable fails, they've performed perfectly. Yesterday, I finally found a reason to upgrade: I dropped them. This wasn't the first time, they've been pretty durable, but the head cushion broke off an took some plastic with it. Basically, these headphones have performed much longer than they really should have and I think it's time to upgrade. I have been looking around and am unsure what to buy. The a40s are all I've know my entire "gaming" life, so I don't really know what I've been taking for granted/missing out on. I am considering the G Pro X Wired and the newer Gen 4 Astro A40 TR. I think my original mixamp should still work with the new A40s, so that's a plus(I don't have to spend the extra $100 on the new mixamp). What are your opinions on the two? Are there any headsets worth considering that I didn't mention? Any feedback is helpful. Thanks!

Just now, Slottr said:

Is this for your pc?

Yes, sorry I didn't include these answers in the original post, they seem like obvious things I should have included.

1 minute ago, Coopermar said:

Yes, sorry I didn't include these answers in the original post, they seem like obvious things I should have included.

If you can afford it, I'd go for a pair of DT770's or K371's with either a Blue Snowball (or other decent USB desk mic) or a Modmic.

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

If you can afford it, I'd go for a pair of DT770's or K371's with either a Blue Snowball (or other decent USB desk mic) or a Modmic.

What are the benefits of going with the DT770's over the Astros? Like I said, I've not gamed on anything but my a40s for well over 5 years now. 

5 minutes ago, Slottr said:

3 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

What are the benefits of going with the DT770's over the Astros? Like I said, I've not gamed on anything but my a40s for well over 5 years now. 

Also, would you say it's worth double the price? With a 25% discount code I have, the a40s come out to $112.50.

15 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Also, would you say it's worth double the price? With a 25% discount code I have, the a40s come out to $112.50.

Gaming headsets are just not worth it over good studio headphones or audiophile headphones. I would rather recommend the beyerdynamic tygr because they are open back and are only 32ohm to drive. Get those with a snowball and you are golden.

PM or DM me if you have any questions about audio.

My PC specs & audio gear

CPU > Intel core i7 14700K, GPU > RTX 4070 ProArt, RAM > Corsair Vengeance DDR5 2x16gb 5600mhz, Motherboard > Asus ROG Strix B760-F, Storage > 1TB M.2  & 500GB M.2 Kingston, Cooling > H150i Elite, PSU > MSI A850GL

🎧Current Audio Setup🎧

Beyerdynamic Tygr 300 R w/ Dekoni Velour as daily driver

Soundblaster AE-9 Soundcard

AKG P420 Mic

Other peripherals

Keyboard > SteelSeries Apex Pro

Mouse > Steelseries Aerox 3 wireless

Mousepad > Pulsar ParaSpeed XXL

VR > Valve index kit

Read this post if you want a "gaming" headset ;)

43 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Astros sound horrible compared to a good pair of studio headphones. There's an infinite amount of benefits by going this route 

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

Astros sound horrible compared to a good pair of studio headphones. There's an infinite amount of benefits by going this route 

Is the 80 ohm version good? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to what's good and what's not. Do I just plug them into my old astro mixamp or do I plug them into the back of my computer?

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

23 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Is the 80 ohm version good? I'm completely ignorant when it comes to what's good and what's not. Do I just plug them into my old astro mixamp or do I plug them into the back of my computer?

Also, what's the difference between the 990s and the 770s? I know the 990s are open back, but will they bleed more sound than my astros already do?

2 hours ago, Coopermar said:

Also, what's the difference between the 990s and the 770s? I know the 990s are open back, but will they bleed more sound than my astros already do?

The 990 has more midbass than the 770. But the 770 has more bass extensiom so you get alot more of that bass rumble from the 770 and digs really deep in the frequencies. The 990 sounds more v shaped overall though meaning the bass and treble frequencies are more emphasized. The 990 is also the sharper headphone meaning the treble can bother more people. Open backs are meant to bleed sound out and inside of the headphone the benefits of this is increased soundstage naturally things also improving imaging this footstep locating is more accurate more naturally without the virtual surround sound. 

6 hours ago, Coopermar said:

I own both and can agree with everything @rice guru has said

6 hours ago, Coopermar said:

80 ohm version should be fine, depending on the motherboard you have in your PC 

Otherwise the TYGR as @Tigerleon mentioned will be easier to drive due to that lower impedance

1 hour ago, Slottr said:

I own both and can agree with everything @rice guru has said

Do you like one over the other? I'm torn.

4 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Do you like one over the other? I'm torn.

I live with a roommate so I prefer closed back. 770's still have a good soundstage even though a little more limited. 

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

I live with a roommate so I prefer closed back. 770's still have a good soundstage even though a little more limited. 

From what I understand, soundstage is where the sounds feels like it is coming from. Is that right? If so, how would the 770s compare to my astros(only headset I've used for 6 years).

4 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

From what I understand, soundstage is where the sounds feels like it is coming from. Is that right? If so, how would the 770s compare to my astros(only headset I've used for 6 years).

You'll get a deeper, richer, more "fun" sound. 

You'll be able to pinpoint instruments if you listen to something like classical 

3 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You'll get a deeper, richer, more "fun" sound. 

You'll be able to pinpoint instruments if you listen to something like classical 

Do you think the increase in quality will offset the fact that I'm going from open-closed back? I mostly play 1st person shooters and watch youtube on my computer.

3 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Do you think the increase in quality will offset the fact that I'm going from open-closed back? I mostly play 1st person shooters and watch youtube on my computer.

You can always go for the 990's or 880's if you still want open back. You'll be gaining more than you're losing anyways  

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

You can always go for the 990's or 880's if you still want open back. You'll be gaining more than you're losing anyways  

Thanks for all your help, I'm still trying to decide between the two so if you think of anything that will make my decision easier please let me know! 

Appreciate ya!

Just now, Coopermar said:

Thanks for all your help, I'm still trying to decide between the two so if you think of anything that will make my decision easier please let me know! 

Appreciate ya!

I suggest you look at rtings and read comparisons for the three. That should send you off well 

1 minute ago, Slottr said:

I suggest you look at rtings and read comparisons for the three. That should send you off well 

Will do. I think I'm going to go with the 990s. Will my motherboard be able to drive the 250ohm version(they're $20usd cheaper than 80ohm)? If not, can I plug them into my astro mixamp pro gen 1 and that can drive it?

8 minutes ago, Slottr said:

5 minutes ago, Coopermar said:

Will do. I think I'm going to go with the 990s. Will my motherboard be able to drive the 250ohm version(they're $20usd cheaper than 80ohm)? If not, can I plug them into my astro mixamp pro gen 1 and that can drive it?

My motherboard is a Z390 Aorus Pro Wifi