Poll: You've decided you're going to buy one of these RTX 3080s. Which do you buy?

Delicieuxz

You've decided you're going to buy one of these RTX 3080s. Which do you buy?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your preference to buy?

• Gigabyte Eagle
    • Asus Tuf
    • EVGA XC3 (not Ultra or FTW3)
    • Zotac Trinity
    • MSI Ventus

This poll is concerning the non-flashy AIB cards that are closer to MSRP. This helps the decision to be based more in the core quality of the cards than the flashy extras that are catering to more special interests.

And if you can explain your choice in a comment, that'd be helpful.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

What goes through my brain when trying to buy one

1. Founder's Edition
  2. ASUS TUF or ROG STRIX
  3. Any that actually shows up available

CASE: NZXT H510 ELITE MOTHERBOARD: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (WIFI 6) CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X 4.7GHz (ZEN 3COOLING: Arctic Freezer II AIO 280mm RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 3200MHz CL15 GPU: NVIDIA RTX 3080 Founder's Edition PSU: Thermaltake RGB 850w 80+ Gold STORAGE: SSD Samsung 860 EVO 250GB // M.2 NVME WD BLACK 1TB // M.2 NVME Samsung 970 EVO 1TB // HDD Seagate 2TB OS: Windows 10 Home x64 Bit MONITORS: LG 27GN850-B @144Hz 1440p // Acer XF270H @144Hz 1080p MOUSE: Razer Viper Ultimate Mercury White KEYBOARD: Razer Huntsman TKL (w/ Razer Mercury White Keycaps) HEADSET: HyperX Cloud Flight

Where do you even order a Founders Edition card? I don't see them listed at Newegg, B&H, or even Amazon. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

14 minutes ago, Action_Johnson said:

Where do you even order a Founders Edition card? I don't see them listed at Newegg, B&H, or even Amazon. 

Directly from Nvidia's website, assuming they'll become available again at some point.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

-accidental double post-

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

1 hour ago, DHV0 said:

What goes through my brain when trying to buy one

1. Founder's Edition
  2. ASUS TUF or ROG STRIX
  3. Any that actually shows up available

That's my list as well. ASUS did quite good with this card.

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I wouldn't go for the FE anymore.

It's pretty, but I'll take performance over pretty any day.

Asus TUF runs cooler and faster, that's all the argument I need.

I'm still waiting for the ROG STRIX and EVGA FTW, depending on pricing and performance I might like those more.

On 9/24/2020 at 1:02 AM, Exeon said:

Asus TUF runs cooler and faster, that's all the argument I need.

Has less overclocking headroom though. (unless you're physically altering the board, or running custom BIOSes)

CPURyzen 7 5800X Cooler: Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120mm AIO with push-pull Arctic P12 PWM fans RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws V 4x8GB 3600 16-16-16-30

MotherboardASRock X570M Pro4 GPUASRock RX 5700 XT Reference with Eiswolf GPX-Pro 240 AIO Case: Antec P5 PSU: Rosewill Capstone 750M

Monitor: ASUS ROG Strix XG32VC Case Fans: 2x Arctic P12 PWM Storage: HP EX950 1TB NVMe, Mushkin Pilot-E 1TB NVMe, 2x Constellation ES 2TB in RAID1

https://hwbot.org/submission/4497882_btgbullseye_gpupi_v3.3___32b_radeon_rx_5700_xt_13min_37sec_848ms

I chose the Asus TUF because the gaming x trio wasn't in the list.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 hours ago, BTGbullseye said:

Has less overclocking headroom though. (unless you're physically altering the board, or running custom BIOSes)

True, though from the OC'd benchmarks there isn't that much difference to be honest.

There might be in the future, I'm just not sure if it should influence the purchase this generation

None of the above.

I would go with the Founders Edition or one of the higher end AIB cards like the FTW3 Ultra, Strix etc.

Better cooling, more OCing headroom etc.

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

Founders Edition. 

Doesn't have the el-cheapo capacitors making people's cards run unstable. I guess the Zotac one is the worst of the lot, the Asus might be the best. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

I'm curious why so many people chose the EVGA, since I haven't been able to find a thorough review of their XC3 to know if it's really decent. But I'm guessing it has a lot to do with their reputation. And now there's more reason to go with them because they supposedly have used enough MLCC caps to avoid the crashing issue - at least on the FTW3 version. It doesn't seem to be confirmed that the lower models are completely fine with 5 POSCAP.

The Asus seems pretty good. From temperature, power, noise, and performance comparisons, the Asus:

- runs the coolest

- has noise level comparable to or slightly less than the FE

- gets about the same average performance as the FE

And it has all MLCC caps, and seems to be free of the game crashing issue affecting all-POSCAP filtering 3080s.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

I'm curious why so many people chose the EVGA, since I haven't been able to find a thorough review of their XC3 to know if it's really decent. But I'm guessing it has a lot to do with their reputation. And now there's more reason to go with them because they have supposedly use enough MLCC caps to avoid the crashing issue - at least on the FTW3 version. Not sure if it's been confirmed the lower versions are completely fine with 5 POSCAP.

The Asus seems pretty good. From temperature, power, noise, and performance comparisons, the Asus:

- runs the coolest

- has noise level comparable to the FE

- gets about the same average performance as the FE

And it has all MLCC caps, and seems to be free of the game crashing issue affecting all-POSCAP filtering 3080s.

The main reason I always went with EVGA has to do with warrenty and customer service.

EVGA gives 3 years of warrenty instead of 2, plus they customer service is one of the best (as far as GPU's go)

I've known them to replace older GPU's with newer generations(of the same performance) if the card died during the warrenty.

However this year I'm most likely going with ASUS, 6 MLCC's, 4% boost over the FE, runs cooler and is cheaper than EVGA XC3

I might just wait for the FTW and STRIX models, but those come at a hefty premium here (between 100-150€ extra)

I don't see performance going that much higher.

If EVGA FTW goes with 6 MLCC's and it runs faster than the TUF line I might go with EVGA just because of that warrenty

6 minutes ago, Exeon said:

The main reason I always went with EVGA has to do with warrenty and customer service.

EVGA gives 3 years of warrenty instead of 2, plus they customer service is one of the best (as far as GPU's go)

I've known them to replace older GPU's with newer generations(of the same performance) if the card died during the warrenty.

However this year I'm most likely going with ASUS, 6 MLCC's, 4% boost over the FE, runs cooler and is cheaper than EVGA XC3

I might just wait for the FTW and STRIX models, but those come at a hefty premium here (between 100-150€ extra)

I don't see performance going that much higher.

If EVGA FTW goes with 6 MLCC's and it runs faster than the TUF line I might go with EVGA just because of that warrenty

According to store pages, the Asus Tuf 3080 has a 3-year manufacturer's warranty, too.

6 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

According to store pages, the Asus Tuf 3080 has a 3-year manufacturer's warranty, too.

I just went to take a look.

Warranty is dependant on region, locally the TUF cards are announced with 2 years

If it's 3 years it's a very easy desicion for me.

I'm an Asus Fanboy and will wait til I can get my hands on an ROG Strix version.  I'm hoping that by the time they are readily available they will have the "good" bits on them and will pair well with an LG CX 48" 

Founder's because it's the least ugly one. I really hate how board partners design their coolers nowadays, they're all so ugly and cheap looking with the excessive angles and rgb

On 9/25/2020 at 4:06 AM, BTGbullseye said:

OC seems like a moot point unless you're doing something major like liquid nitrogen. People are barely getting an extra 5 FPS OC normally.

1 hour ago, NadeMagnet69 said:

OC seems like a moot point unless you're doing something major like liquid nitrogen. People are barely getting an extra 5 FPS OC normally.

Well, that may actually affect stability with the default boost tables now, and with that particular issue, it looks like the ASUS stuff is actually the most stable currently. (the fewest crashes, whereas just about everything else, including the FE, have lots of crash reports)

I have a TUF GT501 case, might as well show off a TUF card in it as well lol. Joking aside, I'm not one for liking any brand name that misspells a word deliberately. I feel like there should be a small Tonka truck glued to the backplate to really add emphasis to the branding. But, the TUF products are solid quality for the price, and of course because Asus overengineered their 3080's to handle higher frequencies without charging above MSRP (at least for now). It's not that I would intend to run the card overclocked for day-to-day use, but that extra head room adds peace of mind.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

1 minute ago, HumdrumPenguin said:

You don't buy, you wait for cards with proper VRAM that can also sustain over 2ghz clock speeds, and have a higher power limit.

That's my plan for sure. If AMD delivers, they have my money. If not, then a TUF 20GB will be my next gaming card.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

2 minutes ago, Briggsy said:

That's my plan for sure. If AMD delivers, they have my money. If not, then a TUF 20GB will be my next gaming card.

I'm waiting on a Strix 3080 20gb or 3080 Ti just for matching the rest of the gear I already have. I wouldn't go AMD just because my monitor has a GSync module already, so I might as well make full use of it (natively speaking at least).

close to the GPU are electrical noise filters. Asus uses 6 of the best. Founder's edition uses 2, all the others use 0-2. The rest of the 6 are the cheaper ones

Use of 0 caused crashes at higher frequencies that people are reporting

CPU: Ryzen 2600 GPU: RX 6800 RAM: ddr4 3000Mhz 4x8GB  MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO Display: 4k120hz with freesync premium.