Baby's First Rig (Need Help)!

Budget (including currency): 1.5k AUD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light gaming (Overwatch, Valorant, CSGO, GTA5), Art Programs

Other details: Open to alternatives, parts aren't locked in yet; just as long as they're available in Australia. I'm hoping for this build to last me at least three years and I'm aiming to upgrade in the future. 

Thanks for any advice!

28 minutes ago, bambisaur said:

Budget (including currency): 1.5k AUD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Light gaming (Overwatch, Valorant, CSGO, GTA5), Art Programs

Other details: Open to alternatives, parts aren't locked in yet; just as long as they're available in Australia. I'm hoping for this build to last me at least three years and I'm aiming to upgrade in the future. 

Thanks for any advice!

Complete garbage...

Here is a significantly better one:

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

6 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Complete garbage...

Now that can be controversial... well excluding the GPU. 1660? Definitely wouldn't be getting that for that price. 

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

3 minutes ago, Vishera said:

only 500gb storage?

and taking away some of the CPU budget doesnt seem like a great idea considering apart from GTA they're wanting to play mainly CPU intensive games?

hmm

Just now, idwt said:

only 500gb storage?

and taking away some of the CPU budget doesnt seem like a great idea considering apart from GTA they're wanting to play mainly CPU intensive games?

hmm

The 2600 is more powerful,not only it's IPC is higher,but the clock speed as well,and it's an unlocked chip.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

The 2600 is more powerful,not only it's IPC is higher,the clock speed is higher as well,and it's an unlocked chip.

my bad, not sure why i had the idea in my head that the i5-10400 was the 3600 competitor... not too clued up on the 10 series 

So is it agreed that I should change to Ryzen instead? I would still prefer the 1TB hard disk because I work with a lot of large files. Also, I believe the GPU is a bit overkill for my gaming activities. Is there another alternative for a cheaper GPU in the same price range for what I'm looking for (I don't need RTX). Thanks for the advice!

I would recommend going with ryzen 3 3100 or 3300x because they are similar and even faster than 2600 . But they are 4 cores 8 threads and they are cheaper . They are based on zen 3 architecture and the support 4th gen pci e . And instead of buying a 1660 buy a 1660 super . 

It is faster and a few bucks different .

You can go with a 500 or 550 w psu . 

And if you decide to go with these cpu save some bucks and buy 16 gigs 3200 mhz because this is the maximum that these cpu can handle. This will cost you close to 550 to 600 USD .

On 9/24/2020 at 3:40 PM, the cool guy X_X said:

I would recommend going with ryzen 3 3100 or 3300x because they are similar and even faster than 2600 . But they are 4 cores 8 threads and they are cheaper . They are based on zen 3 architecture and the support 4th gen pci e . And instead of buying a 1660 buy a 1660 super . 

It is faster and a few bucks different .

You can go with a 500 or 550 w psu . 

And if you decide to go with these cpu save some bucks and buy 16 gigs 3200 mhz because this is the maximum that these cpu can handle. This will cost you close to 550 to 600 USD .

I went for the Ryzen, 1660 super, 550w psu. Thanks for the feedback!

Here is the updated build. Changing from Intel to AMD and dropping the HHD allowed me more spending liberties. I went for the Ryzen 5 2600, but only because I'm unsure of which version to pick (would appreciate feedback on whether there is a more suitable, cheaper option).

I could have gone for the Tomahawk, but I assumed that since its almost parallel to the Asus (excluding the fact that the Tomahawk supports overclocking), I personally preferred the aesthetics of the Asus (Tomahawk was too silvery for me). Besides, I'm a rather light gamer, and I'm fine with lower speeds. However, I'm open to changing to Tomahawk if there are significant advantages that I'm not seeing other than overclocking.

I didn't realise how excessive the G-Skill RAM was in the beginning so I downgraded to Corsair; seemed reliable. Also changed to the 1TB Crucial SSD as someone else recommended.

As for the GPU, it seemed that Gigabyte and MSI were on par, although after some research MSI seemed more reliable. Despite this, the reviews on PcPartPicker made Gigabyte seem just as good. The aesthetics of the GPU itself also look way better (I wasn't a fan of the orange looking tube sticking out the front of the MSI one). However, I'm inexperienced with what makes a GPU good; I'd appreciate if someone pointed out any major flaws with the Gigabyte one.

A friend of mine recommended the new PSU. I've taken up you guys' advice and looked for a gold certified one, is 550W sufficient for my build?

The case was also chosen for aesthetic purposes, I think it's beautiful but I read that it was lacking in the airflow department, so I purchased two cheap but high quality fans (judging by the reviews).

And I forgot to mention, I'm still looking for a sleek 144hz monitor that I expect to pay around $100-300AUD for, which is why I haven't breached the $1.5k budget yet. Unfortunately, it seems most good options or sold out, so I'm playing the waiting game atm.

I'm a total noob at PC building, I'm lost as to what makes a PC part "good". but thanks to your suggestions I've been able to learn a bit more. Now, I'm just worried about whether these parts are compatible, or if they have severe flaws. I'm open to any suggestions or changes. Thanks so much!

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.00 @ Centre Com) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($189.00 @ Austin Computers) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  ($125.00 @ Umart) 
Storage: Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($149.00 @ PC Byte) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB GAMING OC Video Card  ($379.00 @ Computer Alliance) 
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($113.30 @ Newegg Australia) 
Power Supply: Cooler Master MWE Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($127.66 @ Amazon Australia) 
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($14.90 @ Amazon Australia) 
Case Fan: be quiet! Pure Wings 2 87 CFM 120 mm Fan  ($14.90 @ Amazon Australia) 
Total: $1321.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-25 19:04 AEST+1000