RTX 3080 performing as poor as my old GTX 1070 Ti

GoldMichi
Go to solution Solved by Moonzy,

ok, lets get things in order

issues:

1) SOTR CPU limited (solved, it's really cpu limited, based on game benchmark's info, and the fps is about what i'd expect)

2) GPU not utilising 100% 

3) GPU running hot when it's above 90% usage

solution:

1) new cpu to raise FPS, new monitor to utilise gpu more, but will get lower avg fps if you also face gpu bound

2) run unigine heaven, you'll be able to stress test the gpu to make sure it's not a faulty unit

3) side panel test, if it worked then 

3a) change casing

3b) reconfigure current setup to fully utilise what you currently have

did i miss anything?

8 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

was about to say that it's kind of low, but then i remembered it didnt need to work hard so it probably didnt boosted

people are having issues when 3080 is running full tilt now

interesting. I've noticed, that in NZXT cam the maximum clock speed for the gpu is between 1.7ghz and 1.8 ghz, since the bar displaying the clock speed seems maxed out. I was kind of confused, since the rtx 3080 should be going up as far as 2.1 Ghz. Not sure if it is a NZXT cam bound issue or if it's actually limited by the gpu. good thing theres warranty, if there should be anything wrong with the hardware. And if it's a known issue, the chances of a refund rise.

3 minutes ago, GoldMichi said:

since the displaying the clock speed seems maxed out

the base clock is around that, so it showing it as max seems normal even though the card can definitely go higher

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

Update:

I've calculated my cpu bottleneck and found out that the cpu, at least by the calculator, should work perfectly fine on 1080p with a Titan RTX (There were no RTX 30-series models yet, but the Titan RTX performs equally, if not better, than the 3080). https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-8700/TITAN_RTX/0NZ12Zlu/32/100/ 

Maybe the calculator is wrong. But if not, I'd be quite confused.

I know it says, that you shouldn't take it as a reference point, but rather as a tool to understand how components work together, but I'm still confused...

@Moonzy

image.thumb.png.8706c9abebc2f5db5be9c4d2c33ada4d.png

Edited by GoldMichi

4 minutes ago, GoldMichi said:

Maybe the calculator is wrong.

what does it calculate based on? I can name a few things i can do on a rtx 3090 + core 2 duo system

i can also name a few things i can do on a 3900x + gt 710 system

it depends on what you do, and what you're doing is limited by your CPU as shown in the benchmark

if you dont believe me, download MSI afterburner, include RTSS (rivatuner statistic server) and enable the overlay to show your GPU and individual core usage

at 0% gpu bound, your GPU usage shouldnt be pinned at 99%, it'll fluctuate below that (i suspect 60-90%, depending on scene)

Just now, Moonzy said:

what does it calculate based on? I can name a few things i can do on a rtx 3090 + core 2 duo system

i can also name a few things i can do on a 3900x + gt 710 system

it depends on what you do, and what you're doing is limited by your CPU as shown in the benchmark

if you dont believe me, download MSI afterburner, include RTSS (rivatuner statistic server) and enable the overlay to show your GPU and individual core usage

at 0% gpu bound, your GPU usage shouldnt be pinned at 99%, it'll fluctuate below that (i suspect 60-90%, depending on scene)

I do absolutely believe you. I'm just trying to figure out if I maybe I did something wrong, when installing the card, have driver issues, hardware issues, if the card itself is faulty, etc... The bottleneck calculator just adds to my confusion. But if the card is performing as expected and I know that the cpu is the one holding it back, then that's fine by me. It's just that I wanted to find out, what the issue was, why my PC wasn't performing as expected. I thank you for your kind help!

1 minute ago, GoldMichi said:

I'm just trying to figure out if I maybe I did something wrong, when installing the card, have driver issues, hardware issues, if the card itself is faulty, etc...

there's no harm in trying to squeeze out every single bit of performance from your system

you can use the overlay method to determine what kind of bottleneck you're facing in any other games/tasks

it's just that SOTR presents its data to you, so i didnt need an overlay and look at your usage to determine what's wrong.

you could try closing some background tasks, or even doing a clean windows install to get rid of background tasks and accumulated junk

but you wont see much difference (maybe ~5-10fps uplift)

you can also look at turning some settings off, as i have noticed my FPS dropped by ~10% in ultra compared to lowest settings, even when GPU wasnt a factor (some setting is loading up the CPU)

but overall, your system is fine as is, should run the game just fine.

2 hours ago, Moonzy said:

there's no harm in trying to squeeze out every single bit of performance from your system

you can use the overlay method to determine what kind of bottleneck you're facing in any other games/tasks

it's just that SOTR presents its data to you, so i didnt need an overlay and look at your usage to determine what's wrong.

you could try closing some background tasks, or even doing a clean windows install to get rid of background tasks and accumulated junk

but you wont see much difference (maybe ~5-10fps uplift)

you can also look at turning some settings off, as i have noticed my FPS dropped by ~10% in ultra compared to lowest settings, even when GPU wasnt a factor (some setting is loading up the CPU)

but overall, your system is fine as is, should run the game just fine.

Yeah and now I know what the "issue" is  and can plan on upgrading my cpu. Again thank you for your help!

It was stated earlier that for 1080p gaming the 3080 is complete overkill, you will be CPU bound in any game. You should only buy a 3080 if you're playing on 1440p/4K. That's where you will see the cards potential. So yeah, basically your CPU is holding you back, and even if you upgrade to a 10900K you will still be CPU bound @ 1080p.

3 hours ago, GoldMichi said:

Update:

I've calculated my cpu bottleneck and found out that the cpu, at least by the calculator, should work perfectly fine on 1080p with a Titan RTX (There were no RTX 30-series models yet, but the Titan RTX performs equally, if not better, than the 3080). https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i7-8700/TITAN_RTX/0NZ12Zlu/32/100/ 

Maybe the calculator is wrong. But if not, I'd be quite confused.

I know it says, that you shouldn't take it as a reference point, but rather as a tool to understand how components work together, but I'm still confused...

@Moonzy

image.thumb.png.8706c9abebc2f5db5be9c4d2c33ada4d.png

These don't mean anything. The results I showed you were a good approximation of GPU limitation in that game. If you can get someone to run a 9900k at 4.3ghz, you could see specifically just how much the extra cores would help, and then again at full speed to see how much extra you'd gain from extra frequency, you'd have a better idea.

As we've said a few times, it depends on the games, and SotTR is just one of those games that does benefit from more cores, unlike many many others.

I find it odd you are getting results so much lower than mine at 4.3ghz when you are also running at 4.3ghz.

What RAM do you have, and is it dual channel?

Before you reply to my post, REFRESH. 99.99% chance I edited my post. 

My System: i7-13700KF // Corsair iCUE H150i Elite Capellix // MSI MPG Z690 Edge Wifi // 32GB DDR5 G. SKILL RIPJAWS S5 6000 CL32 // Nvidia RTX 4070 Super FE // Corsair 5000D Airflow // Corsair SP120 RGB Pro x7 // Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 850w //1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro/1TB Teamgroup MP33/2TB Seagate 7200RPM Hard Drive // Displays: LG Ultragear 32GP83B x2 // Royal Kludge RK100 // Logitech G Pro X Superlight // Sennheiser DROP PC38x

I would not put a high power draw CPU into that motherboard (e.g. i9-9900K).

The MSi Z370 PC Pro motherboard only has a 4-phase CPU VRM.

Annnnd MSi also commented:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/ryan-martin/msi-z370-pc-pro-motherboard-review/11/

MSI commented to us that this motherboard has by default a “95W Power Limit and 200A Current Limit” which it implements on all its “four phase CPU Core VRM” Z370 motherboards when using “95W CPUs”. It does so to prevent VRM overheating which it says can happen when using 4.8GHz and 1.275v vCore or higher under extreme stress tests like Prime 95 small FFTs.

By applying some “potentially unsafe in the long-term” modifications to the power limit we were able to circumvent MSI’s restrictions and achieve normal 5GHz performance results in Cinebench (see above right). This is, however, not recommended as MSI sets these power limits for a reason – it knows what the VRM implementation is capable of.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

12 minutes ago, -rascal- said:

I would not put a high power draw CPU into that motherboard (e.g. i9-9900K).

The MSi Z370 PC Pro motherboard only has a 4-phase CPU VRM.

Annnnd MSi also commented:

https://www.kitguru.net/components/motherboard/ryan-martin/msi-z370-pc-pro-motherboard-review/11/

yeah, I would need to upgrade my motherboard as well...

So here's my taskmanager when playing on max settings in Wow classic. I'm getting around 170 Fps, depending on where I am... I'm getting the feeling, that my GPU is busted. What do you guys think?

@-rascal-

@Mister Woof

@Moonzy

WOW.PNG

3 hours ago, Mister Woof said:

These don't mean anything. The results I showed you were a good approximation of GPU limitation in that game. If you can get someone to run a 9900k at 4.3ghz, you could see specifically just how much the extra cores would help, and then again at full speed to see how much extra you'd gain from extra frequency, you'd have a better idea.

As we've said a few times, it depends on the games, and SotTR is just one of those games that does benefit from more cores, unlike many many others.

I find it odd you are getting results so much lower than mine at 4.3ghz when you are also running at 4.3ghz.

What RAM do you have, and is it dual channel?

I'm using the corsair vengeance RGB Pro 32 Gb 4-channel 3.6Ghz. I enabled them manually in Bios

show the CPU tab, change graph to logical processor

not all task will use all cores, sometimes it only uses 1 or 2 threads, and when those threads are max (or near max most of the time), the game wont run any faster, therefore the gpu wont have to work any faster

i believe WoW only uses few threads, since it's such an old game

Just now, Moonzy said:

not all task will use all cores, sometimes it only uses 1 or 2 threads, and when those threads are max (or near max most of the time), the game wont run any faster, therefore the gpu wont have to work any faster

But I get 80 °C on my gpu which is about 170 degrees Fahrenheit lmao. There must be something wrong, right?

Just now, GoldMichi said:

But I get 80 °C on my gpu which is about 170 degrees Fahrenheit lmao. There must be something wrong, right?

can we get a photo of your computer

and how did you measure temp? maybe download msi afterburner, im more familiar with that

3 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

Unbenannt.PNG

right click the graph, change to logical processor

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

and how did you measure temp? maybe download msi afterburner, im more familiar with that

20200924_214104.jpg

how close is it from side panel? vertical mounted GPU can have high temps if it's very close to the glass

less than 4 inch is too close

can we also get a photo of the front of the casing?

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

right click the graph, change to logical processor

Unbenannt.PNG.31d3fb8b721aba9bb78b25b53a6a815b.PNG

Just now, Moonzy said:

how close is it from side panel? vertical mounted GPU can have high temps if it's very close to the glass

less than 4 inch is too close

can we also get a photo of the front of the casing?

it's about 4 inches away from the glass panel

image.png.d732b270230c01c27262543b550ff585.png

this thread is limiting you, as i've mentioned before