Is a 7970 really enough for 1600p gaming?

iisshaun

Ok, so I've been super interested in 1440p monitors since I started looking at my current U2312HM's from Dell. The extra screen real estate was really appealing for me as I do a lot of work in Photoshop and Ableton, and also a bit of stuff in AE and Prem, and a wee bit of CAD stuff too. I also game, of course, but the extra pixels or size for games alone isn't as exciting. 

I have an ASUS 7970 DirectCUII with 3GB GDDR5, like most 7970's. I've decided to go all out and pick up a 1600p monitor instead, for the extra pixels in PS and Ableton. I want to know, how will a 1440p/1600p monitor hinder my gaming performance? It's really hard to find any benchmarks around that use the November or later drivers, so it is kind of hard to get an idea of how performance will be for me in games. 

At the moment I get around 65-100fps in Battlefield 3, with it only dipping to 65 in big spots with a lot of action. How much fps would I lose going to 1600p? And is AA not as necessary at this higher res? Also, how future proof would this be? I don't want to be buying a new card until maybe late 2014.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Cheers.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

I would say no. IT is not with my standards. 

Are you currently gaming at 1440p with those framerate? And what settings are you using/ planning to use

CPU: 5950x @ 4.5ghz All core OC perm GPU: GTX 3090 RAM: 128gb DDR4 

I would say no. IT is not with my standards. 

Are you currently gaming at 1440p with those framerate? And what settings are you using/ planning to use

I'm only on 1080p atm and have everything maxed out. I'm hoping I will able to just down the AA and some other things like shadows etc and not notice much change in how the game looks, while still running 60fps for the most part.

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570K @4.5GHz          RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Black              Drives: 480GB SSD/1.3HDD

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H          Graphics Card: ASUS HD7970 Direct CUII     PSU: Corsair HX650M

Case: NZXT Phantom Black/Modded        CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14                            Monitors: 2x Dell U2312HM

I think 60fps would be a slight stretch at 1600p with everything maxed. You would probably see dips to the low 40s quite often.

CPU: 5950x @ 4.5ghz All core OC perm GPU: GTX 3090 RAM: 128gb DDR4 

I think 60fps would be a slight stretch at 1600p with everything maxed. You would probably see dips to the low 40s quite often.

Yeah I'm expecting that, I would think turning some of the smaller things like shadows and AA would do the trick. I'll probably have to turn down some things like textures etc sadly.

I'd expect a frame rate of around 60 for the most part in Battlefield 3, with AA off (which you should do). If you're a serious gamer though, I'd stay away from any monitor that isn't 120Hz or more.

I'd expect a frame rate of around 60 for the most part in Battlefield 3, with AA off (which you should do). If you're a serious gamer though, I'd stay away from any monitor that isn't 120Hz or more.

I'm not super serious, to be honest I'm more interested in the tech side of things than the gaming. Really I should be playing more games then I do :P 

And yeah about 120hz, I've never used a 120hz monitor before, but I spend more of my time in productivity applications than games. Res>Speed for me I guess. 

Higher resolutions make AA less useful, never tried 1600P but have tried 1440P you might want the lowest AA setting but thats it. Depends how close you are and your personal preference.

CPU - I7 4770k @ 4.3GHz GPU - EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 Motherboard - ASUS Maximus VI Extreme RAM - 16GB of Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133MHz  Case - Corsair 800D PSU - Corsair AX1,200i CPU Cooler - Custom Liquid CPU Cooler SSD - Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Hard Drive - Western Digital Black 1TB.