Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Darassruk

Does Xeon x5660 and x58 mobo work with normal ram? (non ecc ram)

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi, Does Xeon x5660 and x58 mobo work with normal ram? (non ecc ram)
Im planning to build a cheap pc and I wanna use my ram sticks so I dont have to buy new ones
is it compatible?

Link to post
Share on other sites

i don't think so. on my desktop i have x5650 and x58, and i can only use ecc ram. moreover, x5660 uses ddr3 ram, and there is nothing new that works with ddr3

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have an old rack server in my house (similar series, dual Xeon 6-core, now with 128gb of ECC ram)

 

Since I bought the ram separately, when I was testing it out, I used some ram sticks that I had laying around. It did pass post. I managed to install a no-GUI version of Ubuntu**, which (for all intents and purposes) seemed to work fine. Naturally, your mileage may vary.

 

**No GPU or CPU-based graphics, obviously.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep. ECC RAM actually does not work with X58, normal RAM or ECC unreg (which runs as normal RAM) will work. Intel 5520 (the server chipset - though watch out some single CPU server boards still use X58) runs ECC reg, and unreg/normal RAM without issue. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - just need the motivation/time to actually install them) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - ATI HD4870 512MB - 525GB MX300 + 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
15 minutes ago, Red_Fox_1293 said:

i don't think so. on my desktop i have x5650 and x58, and i can only use ecc ram. moreover, x5660 uses ddr3 ram, and there is nothing new that works with ddr3

I see, does windows 10 still works on that cpu, I heard that some got bsod

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Darassruk said:

Hi, Does Xeon x5660 and x58 mobo work with normal ram? (non ecc ram)
Im planning to build a cheap pc and I wanna use my ram sticks so I dont have to buy new ones
is it compatible?

As someone who runs an X5670 on X58, it will run non-ECC memory just fine.

3 minutes ago, Darassruk said:

see, does windows 10 still works on that cpu, I heard that some got bsod

Make sure to keep VT-d off. for some reason, on my P6X58D Premium, it will crash on start if it's enabled. Otherwise rock solid.


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, svmlegacy said:

As someone who runs an X5670 on X58, it will run non-ECC memory just fine.

Make sure to keep VT-d off. for some reason, on my P6X58D Premium, it will crash on start if it's enabled. Otherwise rock solid.

oh okie, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Yep. ECC RAM actually does not work with X58, normal RAM or ECC unreg (which runs as normal RAM) will work. Intel 5520 (the server chipset - though watch out some single CPU server boards still use X58) runs ECC reg, and unreg/normal RAM without issue. 

It actually does work (Even registered DIMM's), although the ECC portion will not work. The key is to make sure to use x8 memory devices.
This platform is also particularly picky with 8GB DIMM's, but I have had success, and seen 48GB of RAM on this platform.


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

It actually does work (Even registered DIMM's), although the ECC portion will not work. The key is to make sure to use x8 memory devices.
This platform is also particularly picky with 8GB DIMM's, but I have had success, and seen 48GB of RAM on this platform.

Registered DIMMs never worked for me, normal DIMMs have worked without issue. Never had a single issue with 8GB DIMMs either, but mebbe mine were just bueno for this platform 🤔. But even some funky funky boards like SR-2s or their Classified X58 brethren have no issues with 8GB DIMMs, and if any board was gonna have an issue it would be those. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - just need the motivation/time to actually install them) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - ATI HD4870 512MB - 525GB MX300 + 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Zando Bob said:

Registered DIMMs never worked for me, normal DIMMs have worked without issue. Never had a single issue with 8GB DIMMs either, but mebbe mine were just bueno for this platform 🤔. But even some funky funky boards like SR-2s or their Classified X58 brethren have no issues with 8GB DIMMs, and if any board was gonna have an issue it would be those. 

My 8GB DIMM's that are grumpy happen to be G.Skill Ripjaws X. I've never seen them work with any Nehalem based CPU, but are rock solid on Sandy and newer.
Most registered DIMM's are x4 devices, which definitely need a server chipset to work.

 

/now that I think about it, I believe they're single rank 4GB dimm's, but that's not too different than a dual-rank 8GB.../


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

As someone who runs an X5670 on X58, it will run non-ECC memory just fine.

Make sure to keep VT-d off. for some reason, on my P6X58D Premium, it will crash on start if it's enabled. Otherwise rock solid.

so the final answer is that I can use my existing ram sticks?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

My 8GB DIMM's that are grumpy happen to be G.Skill Ripjaws X. I've never seen them work with any Nehalem based CPU, but are rock solid on Sandy and newer.
Most registered DIMM's are x4 devices, which definitely need a server chipset to work.

 

/now that I think about it, I believe they're single rank 4GB dimm's, but that's not too different than a dual-rank 8GB.../

Ah, Nehalems are mostly meh. The Westmeres and some Gulftown lads are much better.
 

1 minute ago, Darassruk said:

so the final answer is that I can use my existing ram sticks?

Yep. 


X58-X79-X99-X299 lads: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

 

Current Main - i7 6950X (currently stock) - EVGA CLC 280 - EVGA X99 Micro 2 - 32 GB RAM [4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4] @3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 CR2 - Nvidia FE 2060 Super - 1TB 970 Evo - Corsair RM1000i - Fractal Design Meshify C Mini - 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 3000s + 1 Noctua iPPC NF-F12 2000
 

Bits - i7 5960X - undecided - EVGA X99 Classified - 16 GB RAM [4x4GB EVGA SSC DDR4] - undecided - 250GB 960 Evo - undecided - Corsair 750D

 

Mac Pro 1,1 - (EFI flashed to 2,1) - 2x 2.66Ghz Dual Core LGA771 Xeons (2x X5355s - just need the motivation/time to actually install them) - 32GB 667Mhz ECC DDR2 - ATI HD4870 512MB - 525GB MX300 + 3x 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDDs - 24" Apple Cinema Display (1920x1200 TFT panel)

 

2019 13" rMBP (i5/8GB/256GB) {work} - 2012 13" MBP (i5/16GB/1TB MX500 + 2TB Firecuda) {mine} - iPhone 11 Pro Max + Apple Watch S3 42mm - iPod Classic 6G 80GB running Rockbox + iPod Classic 5.5G Enhanced 30GB also on Rockbox 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zando Bob said:

Ah, Nehalems are mostly meh. The Westmeres and some Gulftown lads are much better.

Westmere-EP/Gulftown included with that memory stick. IIRC Clarkdale works fine with it.


Main: AMD Ryzen 7 1700X, Nvidia GTX 780, 16 GB 3000 MT/s DDR4 Fedora 33 x86_64

Secondary: Intel Xeon X5670, Nvidia GTX 660, 24 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3 Windows 10 Home x86_64

Server: Intel Xeon X5670, 60 GB 1333 MT/s DDR3-R Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS x86_64

Laptop: Intel Core i5-3320M, 16 GB 1600 MT/s DDR3 Fedora 32 x86_64

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×