Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yea, i use windows, W

Should i wait more time for ZEN 3?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

im about to get a amd based system, and am getting a r3 3100, but as ZEN 3 and 5th gen amd cpu are about to come, should i wait? cause well, i dont want to waste money lol

Also: my birthday comes on zen 3 launch so mhm :)


YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 😜 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.


Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 4x4GB G.Skill DDR3 1866MHz GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: WD Blue 1TB and a 128GB Kingston UV400 PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech G403 Prodigy Wireless Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE

 

 

 

 

i use arch btw

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Samurai9954 said:

im about to get a amd based system, and am getting a r3 3100, but as ZEN 3 and 5th gen amd cpu are about to come, should i wait? cause well, i dont want to waste money lol

Also: my birthday comes on zen 3 launch so mhm :)

It's 2 weeks.  If you can't wait that long, life is going to be very difficult for you :)

 

 


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Samurai9954 said:

ok then, will zen 3 be cheaper??

No. But it will cause Zen 2 prices to drop. Especially in the used market.


Main Rig :

Ryzen 7 2700X | Powercolor Red Devil RX 580 8 GB | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 | 16 GB TeamGroup Elite 2400MHz | Samsung 750 EVO 240 GB | HGST 7200 RPM 1 TB | Seasonic M12II EVO | CoolerMaster Q300L | Dell U2518D | Dell P2217H | 

 

Laptop :

Thinkpad X230 | i5 3320M | 8 GB DDR3 | V-Gen 128 GB SSD |

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Fatih19 said:

No. But it will cause Zen 2 prices to drop. Especially in the used market.

huh? why is that?? like i can't understand the reason 


YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 😜 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Samurai9954 said:

i didn't say that i cant wait, i can even wait 2 months for better cpus and cheaper prices :D 

Why would you even ask then?  If something new is coming out in a couple weeks, why wouldn't you wait to see what it is and how good it would be for you?

 

By asking, it comes off like you're having an issue with waiting.  Sorry if you're not, and I made a bad assumption but that's what it is when people ask if they should wait.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Samurai9954 said:

i didn't say that i cant wait, i can even wait 2 months for better cpus and cheaper prices :D 

In 2 months you probably can get a 3300x for 3100 money now.

Don't get surprise if they don't have any offers for that price point.

Usually the first to release is the popular 6, 8  to 12 cores.

Other core count will be released up to 6 months later.


Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Dedayog said:

Why would you even ask then?  If something new is coming out in a couple weeks, why wouldn't you wait to see what it is and how good it would be for you?

 

By asking, it comes off like you're having an issue with waiting.  Sorry if you're not, and I made a bad assumption but that's what it is when people ask if they should wait.

i just meant, that should i wait for ZEN 3, like is it expected that it will fit in my budget? i can spend about 90 - 100$ on a cpu


YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 😜 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

In 2 months you probably can get a 3300x for 3100 money now.

Don't get surprise if they don't have any offers for that price point.

Usually the first to release is the popular 6, 8  to 12 cores.

Other core count will be released up to 6 months later.

i dont think that there is a major difference between 3300x and 3100 in performance as its only a ccx difference, but if im wrong, then i will look into it, 


YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 😜 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Samurai9954 said:

i just meant, that should i wait for ZEN 3, like is it expected that it will fit in my budget? i can spend about 90 - 100$ on a cpu

There will most likely be parts with z3 all the way from 50 bucks to >1000 usd. So probably. And for a given price range they will probably be faster. We don't know how much and when they will be out. Either get it now, the 3100 isn't a bad part, or wait till the 8th to see when the new replacement will be out. If your system is fin id wait, if you need the new system, current parts are fine. Im personally gonna wait cause my 3770k is fine for now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Samurai9954 said:

i just meant, that should i wait for ZEN 3, like is it expected that it will fit in my budget? i can spend about 90 - 100$ on a cpu

Most likely prices won't decrease yet, as they release the high level stuff.  You MAY be able to get a 2600 for that price, as the 1600's dropped like rocks when the 3600's came out.

 

But for your 3300x or 3100, doubt they'll move much without a direct replacement.


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Samurai9954 said:

i dont think that there is a major difference between 3300x and 3100 in performance as its only a ccx difference, but if im wrong, then i will look into it, 

Or get the 3500 version (6 cores without SMT), it's not available in most market tho.

 


Ryzen 2600 @ 4ghz | Radeon RX580 | 32gb HyperX 3200mhz | 500gb Samsung PM981a | 5 TB HDD | Corsair CX450

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Samurai9954 said:

im about to get a amd based system, and am getting a r3 3100, but as ZEN 3 and 5th gen amd cpu are about to come, should i wait? cause well, i dont want to waste money lol

Also: my birthday comes on zen 3 launch so mhm :)

What are you using for a GPU? 


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites

lots of assumptions have been made here, but the only questions you have to ask yourself is "when do i want this system?" and "are the specs adequate for my uses?"

 

is waiting 1-2 months or more for the announcement, not necessarily availability, of a cheap zen 3 cpu worth it to you? the 3300x is a significant jump from the 3100 but stock is extremely limited as it appears amd either isnt making them in high amounts and/or demand is extremely high for the 3300x. considering that they use a full, intact chiplet it's probably doesnt appeal to amd to put those chiplets into a budget cpu when they have 3900x/3950x's to make.

 

and considering stock of any other cpu in the past few months, availability of zen 3 cpus is likely to be scarce. even intel 10th gen retails over msrp due to the demand, and that was released months ago. with the sheer number of WFH people nowadays, budget components are in particularly high demand and it'll be hard to get any new budget cpu for a reasonable price. the 3100 is still marked up, almost to the msrp of the 3300x which hasnt been in stock for ages. and imo the 3100 isnt good value even at 100 bucks as the 1600 is better in just about every way, except that's never in stock either.

 

so if i were you and i didnt have a system already, id go ahead and build with whats available. if you already have a decent system to hold you over until zen 3 is in stock and available then thats a valid option too, but if your ideal end result is a 3100 or similar then just go ahead and get it. it wont be a worse cpu when better tech comes out, if it meets your needs right now it'll meet your needs when zen 3 is released.


topics i need help on:

Spoiler

 

 

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
12 hours ago, VeganJoy said:

lots of assumptions have been made here, but the only questions you have to ask yourself is "when do i want this system?" and "are the specs adequate for my uses?"

 

is waiting 1-2 months or more for the announcement, not necessarily availability, of a cheap zen 3 cpu worth it to you? the 3300x is a significant jump from the 3100 but stock is extremely limited as it appears amd either isnt making them in high amounts and/or demand is extremely high for the 3300x. considering that they use a full, intact chiplet it's probably doesnt appeal to amd to put those chiplets into a budget cpu when they have 3900x/3950x's to make.

 

and considering stock of any other cpu in the past few months, availability of zen 3 cpus is likely to be scarce. even intel 10th gen retails over msrp due to the demand, and that was released months ago. with the sheer number of WFH people nowadays, budget components are in particularly high demand and it'll be hard to get any new budget cpu for a reasonable price. the 3100 is still marked up, almost to the msrp of the 3300x which hasnt been in stock for ages. and imo the 3100 isnt good value even at 100 bucks as the 1600 is better in just about every way, except that's never in stock either.

 

so if i were you and i didnt have a system already, id go ahead and build with whats available. if you already have a decent system to hold you over until zen 3 is in stock and available then thats a valid option too, but if your ideal end result is a 3100 or similar then just go ahead and get it. it wont be a worse cpu when better tech comes out, if it meets your needs right now it'll meet your needs when zen 3 is released.

i mean, like i dont want the same thing which happened to rtx 2080ti user to happen to me lol, like what if there will be better, more powerfull maybe even 6-core cpus at the same price, who knows??


YES, I RUN RAID 1 OVER RAID 0

REMEBER TO QUOTE 😜 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

i mean, like i dont want the same thing which happened to rtx 2080ti user to happen to me lol, like what if there will be better, more powerfull maybe even 6-core cpus at the same price, who knows??

So you have the system in your sig but you're piddling on 3300X or 3100?

 

Nm, realized it's a fantast build.  


Emma : i7 8700K @5.0Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS z370 Gaming 5 - ThermalTake Water 3.0 Ultimate - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB M.2 (RAID 0) - EVGA Supernova 650 P2 - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Logitech G910, G502, G933 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

 

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 (stock) - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 8GB 2400Mhz - GeForce 8800GTS 640MB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Dell 19" 4:3

 

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

 

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Yea, i use windows, W said:

i mean, like i dont want the same thing which happened to rtx 2080ti user to happen to me lol, like what if there will be better, more powerfull maybe even 6-core cpus at the same price, who knows??

thing is that the 2080ti was an anomaly, as it was the most powerful first gen ray tracing card, and people buying it should have known that first gen anything is always shit value. if zen 3 actually turns out to beat or match intel in gaming, i expect amd's prices to reflect that as theyre still kinda budget kings for most users. obviously anything can happen but theres no reason for amd to drop a random bombshell, because nvidia's wasnt particularly unexpected if you pay attention to things lol.


topics i need help on:

Spoiler

 

 

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×