Recommend me a 'Fun' FPS

SolarNova

i find myself wanting to play a FPS, but there's a problem. The last FPS game i played for any long length was a long time ago. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if the younger user here have never played it.

Medal of Honor : Allied Assault

Used to drop into multiplayer lobbies all the time back then.

Since then though i havnt really got into a FPS game, for various reasons, one big one nowadays is the massive influx of ..well basically 'try hards'.

I find in pretty much all of the multiplayer games i've played in recent years (FPS or not), even in the 'casual' queues, ur being governed by a matchmaker thats trying to force your win ratio to 50:50, which always without fail, ends up forcing u to 'try hard' because while u may start of having random fun. By the time the system has honed in on ur skill level, u end up in 'casual' groups that ether stomp, or get stomped, neither of which is fun.

I literally just want a 'fun' FPS to play, no ranking, or hidden ELO, etc. Just random drop in and play, some good old fashion shoot'em'up.

Any suggestions ?

EDIT: No EA titles :)

More interested in mass FPS, so not small team based game like Overwatch.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Overwatch is fun.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

i find myself wanting to play a FPS, but there's a problem. The last FPS game i played for any long length was a long time ago. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if the younger user here have never played it.

Medal of Honor : Allied Assault

Used to drop into multiplayer lobbies all the time back then.

Since then though i havnt really got into a FPS game, for various reasons, one big one nowadays is the massive influx of ..well basically 'try hards'.

I find in pretty much all of the multiplayer games i've played in recent years (FPS or not), even in the 'casual' queues, ur being governed by a matchmaker thats trying to force your win ratio to 50:50, which always without fail, ends up forcing u to 'try hard' because while u may start of having random fun. By the time the system has honed in on ur skill level, u end up in 'casual' groups that ether stomp, or get stomped, neither of which is fun.

I literally just want a 'fun' FPS to play, no ranking, or hidden ELO, etc. Just random drop in and play, some good old fashion shoot'em'up.

Any suggestions ?

Titanfall is a bunch of fun. Even if you lose you get the whole extract from the map endgame which is a really fun feature and makes losing not feel bad at all. The 50 50 matchmaker is only fair. How would you feel if you get put in matches where you just get stomped repeatedly because the matchmaker just takes the first person it finds?

Titanfall 2. It's a 4-year old game that has somewhat faded out of popularity, so it doesn't have all the try-hards and sweats popular shooters have. However, it still has a pretty active fanbase and you'll get into a match in less than 30 seconds. Matchmaking is very fair, and everyone I've ever played against has been very nice. People often have conversations in the chat across teams.

The gameplay is very fun and fast-paced, with wallrunning and giant mech robots you can pilot to spice things up. A very fun game that you can hop on at any point and have fun with. It also has a great campain that helps get used to the different mechanics of the game before hopping into multiplayer.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer RGB 16GB 3200MHz
120GB Crucial BX500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Just now, WaggishOhio383 said:

Titanfall 2. It's a 4-year old game that has faded out of popularity, so it doesn't have all the try-hards and sweats popular shooters have. However, it still has a pretty active fanbase and you'll get into a match in less than 30 seconds. Matchmaking is completely randomized, and everyone I've ever played against has been very nice. People often have conversations in the chat across teams.

The gameplay is very fun and fast-paced, with wallrunning and giant mech robots you can pilot to spice things up. A very fun game that you can hop on at any point and have fun with. It also has a great campain that helps get used to the different mechanics of the game before hopping into multiplayer.

Matchmaking is not fully randomized. It still does a rough balance according to how well you are doing to not create situations where you have a bunch of amazing players playing against new ones.

Just now, jaslion said:

Matchmaking is not fully randomized. It still does a rough balance according to how well you are doing to not create situations where you have a bunch of amazing players playing against new ones.

Wasn't aware of that. Either way, it doesn't have a negative effect on the game like it can in some other games. Clearly I never noticed it.

I mostly speak from my own past experience from similar problems. My solution may not work for you, but I'll always try my best to help as much as I can. If you want me to see your reply, make sure to quote my comment or mention me @WaggishOhio383, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

Appreciate the suggestion so far. Cheers

Added an edit to my OP.

"No EA titles :)

More interested in mass FPS, so not small team based games like Overwatch."

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Isn't Allied Assault an EA game?

Why the hate? Is it because of the aforementioned "matchmaking algos"?

4 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

No EA titles :)

I'm assuming that's in response to the mass Titanfall 2 recommendation. You should know that Titanfall 2 isn't actually an EA game. It's made by Respawn, which is owned by EA. However, EA leaves the game untouched and lets Respawn do their thing. It also doesn't have all the paid dlc crap EA's other games have. So don't hate on the game just because EA slapped their company name on it. Give it a shot because it's a really amazing and underappreciated shooter.

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

2 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Isn't Allied Assault an EA game

Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is a first-person shooter video game developed by 2015, Inc. It was published by Electronic Arts and released for Microsoft Windows on January 22, 2002

Yes, yes it was lol.

SPEC LIST:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600x w/ AMD Wraith Stock Cooler

MOTHERBOARD: Asus ROG Strix B-450F

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32gb 3200mhz (2x16gb)

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2080 Super FE

PSU: Corsair 750x 80plus Gold 

FANS: Dual Corsair LL Series LL140mm Dual Light Loop RGB

MONITORS: BenQ ZOWIE XL2411P 24 Inch FHD LED 144Hz (DP)
Lenovo - G25-10 24.5" LED FHD 144HZ Monitor (HDMI)

PATIENCE: NOT CURRENTLY INSTALLED

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁

2 minutes ago, Bad5ector said:

Isn't Allied Assault an EA game?

Why the hate? Is it because of the aforementioned "matchmaking algos"?

Yes i know but EA wasnt 'as bad' back then.

No not at all, its just because .....EA.

Im kinda old fashion, i vote with my wallet, as far im concerned EA are scum, i have no intention of giving them money. But i dont want to turn this into a discussion on that , Cheers :)

12 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

I didn't see you mention anywhere that you aren't excluding BR's. What about PUBG or Hyperscape.

SPEC LIST:

P.S: STILL REALLY WANTING TO FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN CARRY ME TO GRAND CHAMPION IN ROCKET LEAGUE :)

P.P.S: I NO LONGER NEED TO BE CARRIED TO GRAND CHAMPION AS I HAVE MADE IT ON MY OWN 😁

Hear me out... Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.  I know, it's COD but I actually enjoy it.  First COD I've played multiplayer in many many years.  Gunplay is pretty solid and I like the excellent gun customization. There's also the free Warzone component.

Fair enough. Can't say I haven't felt that way in the past about EA... *Ahem* Origin *cough*... But I have since warmed back up to them. I now focus my hate for Epic games and their Sniping of Exclusives to their spyware for the CCP (hyperbole, but you get my drift)

Just now, Quinnell said:

Hear me out... Call of Duty: Modern Warfare.  I know, it's COD but I actually enjoy it.  First COD I've played multiplayer in many many years.  Gunplay is pretty solid and I like the excellent gun customization. There's also the free Warzone component.

Actually, you're not alone there. I was also impressed with that game. I had to stop playing because I was dumb and bought the single player campaign and don't have an option to just install Warezone. I'm sorry 220gb for a game is too much.

17 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Titanfall 2. It's a 4-year old game that has somewhat faded out of popularity, so it doesn't have all the try-hards and sweats popular shooters have. However, it still has a pretty active fanbase and you'll get into a match in less than 30 seconds. Matchmaking is very fair, and everyone I've ever played against has been very nice. People often have conversations in the chat across teams.

True, I used to play Titanfall 2 on my Xbox and it was super fun. I am thing I might get in on my pc now.

1 minute ago, BlazerBuddy said:

True, I used to play Titanfall 2 on my Xbox and it was super fun. I am thing I might get in on my pc now.

It's on Steam now too so you don't have to get it on Origin if you don't want (It is $30 on Steam as opposed to $20 on Origin though).

-- My PC Build --

Ryzen 7 2700x

AsRock B450 Steel Legend

XFX RX 590 Fatboy

Corsair CX650M

Phanteks Eclipse P350x

titanfall 2 is super fun but i havent played multiplayer because the game mechanics are very in depth and i havent gotten completely used to it after a few dozen hours. the campaign is good but it doesnt cover important gameplay mechanics that are present in multiplayer such as use of the grappling hook and those pilot abilities and anti-titan combat as a pilot. its a great game with innovative, fluid movement and great gunplay but i wouldnt consider it to be very casual to play.

22 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

have you heard of our lord and savior team fortress 2?

topics i need help on:

Spoiler

my "oops i bought intel right before zen 3 releases" build

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600 (placeholder)

GPU: Gigabyte 980ti Xtreme (also placeholder), deshroud w/ generic 1200rpm 120mm fans x2, stock bios 130% power, no voltage offset: +70 core +400 mem 

Memory: 2x16gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3600C16, 14-15-30-288@1.45v

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming

Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S w/ white chromax bling
OS Drive: Samsung PM981 1tb (OEM 970 Evo)

Storage Drive: XPG SX8200 Pro 2tb

Backup Storage: Seagate Barracuda Compute 4TB

PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750W w/ black/white Cablemod extensions
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Dark (to be replaced with a good case shortly)

basically everything was bought used off of reddit or here, only new component was the case. absolutely nutty deals for some of these parts, ill have to tally it all up once it's "done" :D 

3 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

It's on Steam now too so you don't have to get it on Origin if you don't want (It is $30 on Steam as opposed to $20 on Origin though).

I will get it on origin then as I see no reason for steam.

46 minutes ago, VeganJoy said:

have you heard of our lord and savior team fortress 2?

As fun of a game as that is I doubt if he doesn't want to deal with the team aspect of OverWatch he probably won't care for what TF2 provides.

SPEC LIST:

OP maybe give a look at Hell Let Loose. I haven't played it myself but it is a WW2 styled game that doesn't seem like it would be far off from what you played with Allied Assault.

SPEC LIST:

Thanks gents, ill take a look at everything suggested.

If any1 has any other suggestion feel free to post.

cheers.

If you want to get into the WW2 games, I would recommend the Brothers In Arms trilogy.

If you want multiplayer, the most recent COD pretty good, but I would personally recommend Hell Let Loose.

Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl is atmospheric albeit janky

That's all it got ATM