Should I keep my 4930k or upgrade?

I currently have a i7 4930K on a gigabyte x79 up4 motherboard with 32gb of ram and a asus rog strix 2080 super. I use the pc for photo and video editing as well as gaming? Is it worth upgrading or should I keep my current setup? If it is what should I upgrade to? I've been wanting to upgrade so I can use nvme ssds for faster storage.

4 minutes ago, edwinnettles said:

Is it worth upgrading

only if the performance doesn't meet your standards

but in more general terms, no. we're pretty close to a CPU release from AMD, reveal at the beginning of october. keep an eye on the tech press to see what becomes available.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, edwinnettles said:

Is it worth upgrading or should I keep my current setup?

Really depends if you need the extra horse power or not, we kind of can't answer that. 

If you do need the extra horse power you could wait for zen 3 to launch and check what it has to offer, and decide which platform you want to move to, but for now, especially with an overclock and especially at higher resolutions the 4930k shouldn't be too bad with a 2080 super when it comes to gaming. 

again though, if it's worth it or not depends if you need more horse power or not, you decide that, not us.  

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

Get the upcoming 5900x (12 cores) double cores of what you have now + pcie 4.0 should be lovely.

Or get the 8 cores, the clockspeed difference should be high enough.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

23 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Get the upcoming 5900x (12 cores)

Isnt it rumored to be a 4000 series?

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

2 minutes ago, TVwazhere said:

Isnt it rumored to be a 4000 series?

Some rumors recently say that will have the 5000 stamp so it will be inline with the next Rembrant APU. Well see in a month.

https://www.techpowerup.com/272310/amd-vermeer-zen-3-processors-branded-under-ryzen-5000-series

Or them just saying fuck you B450 owners, enjoy 4000 APU, now it's 5000, get a new board! 🤣

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

20 minutes ago, edwinnettles said:

Another question. If I got this https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-M-2-X16-V2-Threadripper/dp/B07NQBQB6Z/?tag=tb3lap-20 Would I be able to use all for m.2 slots on my board?

Do you really need that many fast nvme ssd:s? Because then you are pretty much limited to Threadripper platform and then the smart thing to do is buy a board that comes with a 4x nvme ssd adaptor card.

On 9/23/2020 at 12:48 PM, Jeppes said:

Do you really need that many fast nvme ssd:s? Because then you are pretty much limited to Threadripper platform and then the smart thing to do is buy a board that comes with a 4x nvme ssd adaptor card.

Tbh I probably only need 2