Freesync quirks

DSD

Hello all, 

I purchased a Gigabyte G34WQC monitor. It has freesync premium, allegedly is g-sync compatible and is 144hz. 

My computer is the Asus ROG strix scar ii laptop (GL504GW). It has an RTX 2070 with both mDP (1.2) and HDMI (2.0b) out from the card itself.

Here's what I'm experiencing (resolution is always 3440x1440):

• At 60Hz, everything is fine. 
  • At 100Hz, I can run games fine now that I've upgraded to a UHS hdmi cable however if I turn the monitor off or turn freesync on or off, signal is lost entirely until I reduce back down to 60Hz.
  • Before upgrading the cable (lead that came with the monitor was only high speed) games would intermittently flicker black.
  • I cannot see any option to enable gsync in the nvidia control panel but the monitor allegedly supports it.

I have an mDP to DP on order to see however does anyone know why I'm having this freesync problem? I understand that i can't increase to 144hz because of the ports on the laptop (all the monitor ports support it no issue) but why is it being so temperamental at 100hz and why can't I see gsync? I have all the latest drivers and have been through the manuals ad nauseum regarding differences between the ports.

Not been involved in the scene for a long time so any help would be greatly appreciated