Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DJBoy

Xbox Series S or 300 dollar PC?

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So i was just discussing with my friends about which one of the 2 wud be a better one for 300 dollars and i wanted ur thoughts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

If you only have 300, me personally, I'd be the console. 

i was thinking the same

Link to post
Share on other sites

Xbox for sure. A $300 PC would be able to boot Windows 10, aaaand that's about it. Consoles have the huge advantage of cost coming down during mass-production of an identical SKU, and they're typically sold at a small loss.


Always remember the 80/80 rule of project management. That is, the first 80% of the project takes 80% of the time, and the last 20% of the project takes the other 80% of the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

Xbox for sure. A $300 PC would be able to boot Windows 10, aaaand that's about it

 

I have to disagree. 

 

You could get a 100-150$ refurbished PC  and add a 100$ RX 470 / RX 480 / RX 570 / GTX 1060 video card to it, and you're in $300 budget. Most refurbished computers will also come with a windows license.

 

You can buy a

* 50$ A320 chipset or B450 motherboard (you can get them used),

* 50$ 3000g or used Ryzen 1200-1400, 10-15$ for a cooler,

* 50$ for 16 GB (or you can save some money and get only 8 GB initially then upgrade to 16)

* 10-15$ for a 1 TB mechanical drive, add ssd later when you have more money

* 30$ for a power supply

 

Spend the rest on video card, as that's what will matter most for games. A cheap 8 GB RX 470/480/570 can still handle 1080p gaming on med-high, but even the 4 GB cards are still fine.

 

The Xbox S if it comes without optical drive, it would be limited to the internal storage and game streaming, so there's the issue of how many games you can download and install in the paltry 512 GB SSD (probably around 450 GB will be available for games, after you account for the Xbox OS and other crap)

So have fun always downloading the last 5 games you played unless you buy expensive 1 TB extension.

 

last but not least... you have a HUGE inventory of older games you could download and play, there's Steam, there's GOG, there's sales all the time on old games and free game weekends... with xbox S you'd be much more limited. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

 

I have to disagree. 

 

You could get a 100-150$ refurbished PC  and add a 100$ RX 470 / RX 480 / RX 570 / GTX 1060 video card to it, and you're in $300 budget. Most refurbished computers will also come with a windows license.

 

You can buy a

* 50$ A320 chipset or B450 motherboard (you can get them used),

* 50$ 3000g or used Ryzen 1200-1400, 10-15$ for a cooler,

* 50$ for 16 GB (or you can save some money and get only 8 GB initially then upgrade to 16)

* 10-15$ for a 1 TB mechanical drive, add ssd later when you have more money

* 30$ for a power supply

 

Spend the rest on video card, as that's what will matter most for games. A cheap 8 GB RX 470/480/570 can still handle 1080p gaming on med-high, but even the 4 GB cards are still fine.

 

The Xbox S if it comes without optical drive, it would be limited to the internal storage and game streaming, so there's the issue of how many games you can download and install in the paltry 512 GB SSD (probably around 450 GB will be available for games, after you account for the Xbox OS and other crap)

So have fun always downloading the last 5 games you played unless you buy expensive 1 TB extension.

 

last but not least... you have a HUGE inventory of older games you could download and play, there's Steam, there's GOG, there's sales all the time on old games and free game weekends... with xbox S you'd be much more limited. 

 

 

 

 

Yes, but buying something refurbished is a risk, isn't it?

 

Plus, how long before it needs upgrading to run games?

 

2 years?

 

3?

 

Will it be able to run the new games that come out in 4 or 5 years?

 

It'll probably mean more money to upgrade, whereas the Series S will run all games until the next console comes out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

 

I have to disagree. 

 

You could get a 100-150$ refurbished PC  and add a 100$ RX 470 / RX 480 / RX 570 / GTX 1060 video card to it, and you're in $300 budget. Most refurbished computers will also come with a windows license.

 

You can buy a

* 50$ A320 chipset or B450 motherboard (you can get them used),

* 50$ 3000g or used Ryzen 1200-1400, 10-15$ for a cooler,

* 50$ for 16 GB (or you can save some money and get only 8 GB initially then upgrade to 16)

* 10-15$ for a 1 TB mechanical drive, add ssd later when you have more money

* 30$ for a power supply

 

Spend the rest on video card, as that's what will matter most for games. A cheap 8 GB RX 470/480/570 can still handle 1080p gaming on med-high, but even the 4 GB cards are still fine.

 

The Xbox S if it comes without optical drive, it would be limited to the internal storage and game streaming, so there's the issue of how many games you can download and install in the paltry 512 GB SSD (probably around 450 GB will be available for games, after you account for the Xbox OS and other crap)

So have fun always downloading the last 5 games you played unless you buy expensive 1 TB extension.

 

last but not least... you have a HUGE inventory of older games you could download and play, there's Steam, there's GOG, there's sales all the time on old games and free game weekends... with xbox S you'd be much more limited. 

 

 

 

 

Your not including a keyboard, mouse, case, or fans in your list, at 300 it would be better to get an old oem and add a cheap graphics card if you had to go pc, but in reality just go with the Xbox, there’s no reason not to.


-it’s scuff Gang btw, I hated the name and needed a change
Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

 

AMD blackout rig

 

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx580 @1.45ghz mem=2100mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 @3800mhz

mobo: Asus b450f

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Letgomyleghoe said:

Your not including a keyboard, mouse, case, or fans in your list, at 300 it would be better to get an old oem and add a cheap graphics card.

Exactly...those extras add up quick.

 

I know from my personal experience switching to pc just recently. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

Exactly...those extras add up quick.

 

I know from my personal experience switching to pc just recently. 

 

 

I was extra dumb and bought noctua industrial fans... $200 I shouldve spent elsewhere 


-it’s scuff Gang btw, I hated the name and needed a change
Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

 

AMD blackout rig

 

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx580 @1.45ghz mem=2100mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 @3800mhz

mobo: Asus b450f

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Letgomyleghoe said:

I was extra dumb and bought noctua industrial fans... $200 I shouldve spent elsewhere 

I had to start from scratch, and get all the things you mentioned. 

 

Keyboard, mouse, extra cables, extension leads, Xbox controller, desk chair...oh, then a new monitor as the 4k monitor I bought just 6 months ago was only 60hz.

 

A decent 1440p/144hz monitor was an extra 400 quid.

 

I ended up spending 500 over the price of the computer. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×