Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sakosky1

3090 8K Flight Simulator

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Just watched the "RTX 3090 8K Gaming - FIRST in the WORLD" video and the 3090 seems very promising.  Does anyone have any info on 8K with the 3090 in Flight Sim 2020?  I have a 3x 4K monitor setup and really want to run at full res in FS2020.  Currently I can get ~20-30 fps at 3x 1080 at Med/High and 2-3fps at 3x 4K with my now vintage GTX 1080.  I haven't been able to fly much in the last year and rely on Flight Sims to keep somewhat current.  I'm also looking forward to VR in FS2020.  Planning on standing in line for one.  But it would be nice to know ahead of time if it will satisfy my needs.  I've seen some decent 8K results with a Titan RTX, so I'm hoping that the 24GB vram will make the 3090 a viable option for me.  Any Thoughts?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Howdy and welcome :)

 

3090 isn’t released yet.  The 3080 launch was a massive cockup, so I suspect something very different may be tried for that.  I got no idea what.  The 3080 is more or less a 3090 with less bus and memory.  I wouldn’t count on it running high Rez all that well.  The added memory might be the trick though.  It’s just unknown I’m afraid, and it won’t be unless cards are put up for review prior to launch.  There could well be someone who knows the answer but if they do they’re probably barred by NDA from saying.


Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Link to post
Share on other sites

What Nvidia didn't tell you in that video is that they were using DLSS for the more demanding games. And FlightSim is one of the most demanding games right now. Based on the 3080 benchmarks I doubt you will be able to do true 8K 30fps on a 3090.

 

You could reduce the graphics settings of course but then what's the point.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So now that I have a 3090 and a 8K display I can partially correct my last post.

 

With AA turned off I am getting 20fps on Uitra preset, 25fps on High-End, and 30fps on Medium. Pretty damned impressive and these are all perfectly acceptable frame rates for a flight sim.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dilpickle said:

 

With AA turned off I am getting 20fps on Uitra preset, 25fps on High-End, and 30fps on Medium. Pretty damned impressive and these are all perfectly acceptable frame rates for a flight sim.

Wow! 20fps in 8K is fine, as long as there are no drops.

 

How are the minimums?


Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X @ 4.2 GHz, 32GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz, MAG B550 Tomahawk, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, be quiet! Straight Power 11 850W, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, NZXT H510

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Wow! 20fps in 8K is fine, as long as there are no drops.

 

How are the minimums?

It dips 1 or 2 fps. I didn't do extensive testing. This was in third person view btw. In cockpit view it goes down another 5 fps or so.

 

TLDR It is very playable at 8K with some minor tweaking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dilpickle said:

It dips 1 or 2 fps. I didn't do extensive testing. This was in third person view btw. In cockpit view it goes down another 5 fps or so.

 

TLDR It is very playable at 8K with some minor tweaking.

yikes idk about that being playable. but then again i consider 60 fps unplayable for some games LUL 

why do you want to play at 8k anyways unless its like a 80 inch tv or something

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spartaman64 said:

yikes idk about that being playable. but then again i consider 60 fps unplayable for some games LUL 

why do you want to play at 8k anyways unless its like a 80 inch tv or something

I have an 88" 8K TV yes. The OP wants to play on a triple 4K setup.

If you know anything about flight sims you know they don't need super high gam0rz framerates.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×