What are the risks of not having enough watts?

JoostinOnline

With the GPU power consumption going through the roof with Nvidia's latest release, I thought this was a good question to ask. My understanding is that any power supply with sufficiently calibrated OCP should be fine if you pair it with a power hungry GPU. The GPU may be throttled, but there won't be damage. Is that correct?

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

3 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

With the GPU power consumption going through the roof with Nvidia's latest release, I thought this was a good question to ask. My understanding is that any power supply with sufficiently calibrated OCP should be fine if you pair it with a power hungry GPU. The GPU may be throttled, but there won't be damage. Is that correct?

A system with OCP with blackscreen if OCP is tripped, no throttling.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

I don't experience with a variety of different power supplies so I can't say they all work like this, but the only time I have used more power than the power supply could provide was with a HDPlex. In my case the system just shut down as soon as the power consumption exceeded the amount available, basically as soon as I started a benchmark. I would suspect other power supplies would behave similarly. 

24 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Various things could happen if the OCP doesn't kick in properly depending on the PSU and the quality, age etc of the unit.

The PSU needs to be matched to the system power and quality wise and with enough headroom so it's not running at near max capacity.

So the answer is no, just any power supply is not fine... 

If you are thinking the OCP will be a failsafe then you already have a problem... And with the thread title you need to start shopping for a PSU.. ;)

i9 9900K @ 5.0 GHz, NH D15, 32 GB DDR4 3200 GSKILL Trident Z RGB, AORUS Z390 MASTER, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB, Samsung 860 EVO 1TB, Samsung 860 EVO 500GB, ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q 27", Steel Series APEX PRO, Logitech Gaming Pro Mouse, CM Master Case 5, Corsair AXI 1600W Titanium. 

i7 8086K, AORUS Z370 Gaming 5, 16GB GSKILL RJV DDR4 3200, EVGA 2080TI FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 970 EVO 250GB, (2)SAMSUNG 860 EVO 500 GB, Acer Predator XB1 XB271HU, Corsair HXI 850W.

i7 8700K, AORUS Z370 Ultra Gaming, 16GB DDR4 3000, EVGA 1080Ti FTW3 Ultra, Samsung 960 EVO 250GB, Corsair HX 850W.

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

With the GPU power consumption going through the roof with Nvidia's latest release

well its more that the transiense is terrible on the 3080. you will find good but transiense sensetive PSUs tripping. 

on any decent PSU the OPP will trip. but you will find things like the seasonic Prime tripping. even if its a good PSU, its a transiense sensetive PSU. 

9 hours ago, Ankerson said:

If you are thinking the OCP will be a failsafe then you already have a problem... And with the thread title you need to start shopping for a PSU.. ;)

My PSU is fine.  My concern is for people who think because they had a 980/1080/2080, the 3080 will be fine for them.  Because that's how it's been for a long time.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440