Lucky owners of RTX 30 Series Cards, how's the performance of NVENC(HEVC) on ultrawide setups?

SGpro

Hey all, as an owner of a 32:9 monitor setup (and possibly 48:9 in the future), I noticed that with NVENC, H.264 recordings would not run, forcing me to encode in HEVC, which NVENC on the 2070S is not capable of encoding in such high resolution. 

Here's some information I've gathered so far:
NVENC H.264 - Maximum resolution supported - 4096x4096
NVENC HEVC - Maximum resolution supported - 8192x8192

My setup:
Ryzen 7 3700X
2070 Super
32GB 3000MHz
Current resolution: 5120x1440 (2 1440p monitors); Planning to upgrade to 7680x1440 (3 1440p monitors)

Since HEVC with NVENC hits full utilization regardless of bitrate or rate control, I believe NVENC on my GPU is not powerful enough, forcing me to run recordings with x264 (CPU encoding).
Using x264 induces severe bottleneck while gaming and my bitrate would have to be tuned down to crap, even so, audio stutters... It's just not a pleasant experience.

So, those with ultrawide setups that are lucky enough to get their hands on an RTX 30 Series GPU, what is your experience with video encoding? (Which should I buy?)

Any suggestions for me?

I am the unlucky owner of the 3080. I updated my drivers last night to current. I have sufficient power supply. Bios and chipset are up to date as weill, and no video out. Mobo does one long beep then three short ( this indicates GPU issue).  Put my 1080ti back in and it all works. Spent about an hour with Nvidia customer chat support, with no sugestion as to what the problem is. I sent them an msinfo32 report and product number, and have not heard from them since....sigh.....

Linus!!!! I need HELP!!!!

My rig

X570 Aorus Elite mobo (bios and chipset up to date)

Ryzen 9 3900xt

32g trident z neo 3600mhz cl 16

PSU Corsair RM750 Gold

1080ti ( works like it always has)

RTX 3080 ( Powers up, fans spin, leds light up) but no video out. as stated earlier one long beep and three short on boot (GPU ISSUE)

10 minutes ago, Cosmic Origin said:

I am the unlucky owner of the 3080. I updated my drivers last night to current. I have sufficient power supply. Bios and chipset are up to date as weill, and no video out. Mobo does one long beep then three short ( this indicates GPU issue).  Put my 1080ti back in and it all works. Spent about an hour with Nvidia customer chat support, with no sugestion as to what the problem is. I sent them an msinfo32 report and product number, and have not heard from them since....sigh.....

My rig

Ryzen 9 3900xt

PSU Corsair RM750 Gold

RTX 3080 ( Powers up, fans spin, leds light up) but no video out. as stated earlier one long beep and three short on boot (GPU ISSUE)

The card may be doa tbh.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

7 hours ago, Cosmic Origin said:

My rig

Ryzen 9 3900xt

PSU Corsair RM750 Gold

You should make a new post on this.

• 2 weeks later...

@SGpro - unfortunately it appears the NVENC limits are defined by the encoder, not the hardware. Having a 3080 doesn't help in this regard.

I can either picture-by-picture my 5120x1440p into a 21:9 + 11:9 and stream the 21:9 section, or I can scale the 5120x1440 down to 1080p - otherwise I'm forced to use a software encoder.