KDE plasma virtual desktop help.

I just got KDE Plasma on my laptop running arch linux and I wanted to know how to make the desktop grid (ctrl+f8) more like the windows or mac one.

I am not sure what your asking for. Can you compare them or make a list of what your looking for?

11 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I am not sure what your asking for. Can you compare them or make a list of what your looking for?

What I'm looking for is the view of all the desktops with the destops on a bar on the top of the screen and what is in the desktops on the main part on the screen. it's very hard to explian, so here's a photo.

How to use Task View features on Windows 10 | Windows Central

I am not aware of any way to achieve that. Is there any real benefit to the way Windows does it?

15 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

I am not aware of any way to achieve that. Is there any real benefit to the way Windows does it?

I don't know, I just know that I like it better that way.

Just to confirm, are you aware of the virtual desktop grid view?

Here you can see all virtual desktops in a grid layout, fullscreen. One can move windows from one desktop to another quite easily. It's not the same (and does not look as pretty or polished) but serves similar functionality. IMHO functionally it is even superior, since one can see all windows on all desktops and move them at will - though, it can become cluttered in case there are a lot of windows in any one desktop, or a huge amount of desktops (I have 6, and it is not cluttered).

There might be plugins to have that kind of layout, but I'm not aware of any (and even if this is possible with plugins).

1 hour ago, Wild Penquin said:

Just to confirm, are you aware of the virtual desktop grid view?

Here you can see all virtual desktops in a grid layout, fullscreen. One can move windows from one desktop to another quite easily. It's not the same (and does not look as pretty or polished) but serves similar functionality. IMHO functionally it is even superior, since one can see all windows on all desktops and move them at will - though, it can become cluttered in case there are a lot of windows in any one desktop, or a huge amount of desktops (I have 6, and it is not cluttered).

There might be plugins to have that kind of layout, but I'm not aware of any (and even if this is possible with plugins).

yes i am aware of the virtual desktop grid view and use it currently, but I would rather the layout you would find on macos or win 10

The question came to my mind, since having used the similar feature on OS X/MacOS (not on Windows though), I don't really see the point besides eye candy. If you can find a plugin doing this, please share with us =). You could make a feature request to KDE/Plasma folks, but I don't see it is likely to happen, in case most share the opinion there is not much point to it.

5 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

The question came to my mind, since having used the similar feature on OS X/MacOS (not on Windows though), I don't really see the point besides eye candy. If you can find a plugin doing this, please share with us =). You could make a feature request to KDE/Plasma folks, but I don't see it is likely to happen, in case most share the opinion there is not much point to it.

I've been looking on google for one but I don't what to call the desktop grid for macOS.

6 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

You could make a feature request to KDE/Plasma folks, but I don't see it is likely to happen, in case most share the opinion there is not much point to it.

It's unlikely. The current way KDE handles it, works fine. It's functional and looks nice and simple.

In the current Virtual Desktop system.

--

Everything goes into a grid.

I can drag a window from one desktop to another desktop.

You can right click on a window in a desktop in overview mode and make it available to all desktops.

You can set the task view in the task bar to show applications from all desktops, in which case it will switch to that desktop when selected from the task overview. If you use latte tasks, it can even tell you what desktop it's on.

There are also keyboard shortcuts to switch between Desktops and move applications across desktops without ever going into the overview. Both of which can be set to per desktop shortcuts.

--

11 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

There is one but it is abandoned and broken, not sure if it was ever finished.

If your interested however, here is the project https://github.com/astatide/kwinOverview

Could always fork it or use it as reference to make a new kwin script.

42 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

It's unlikely. The current way KDE handles it, works fine. It's functional and looks nice and simple.

In the current Virtual Desktop system.

--

Everything goes into a grid.

I can drag a window from one desktop to another desktop.

You can right click on a window in a desktop in overview mode and make it available to all desktops.

You can set the task view in the task bar to show applications from all desktops, in which case it will switch to that desktop when selected from the task overview. If you use latte tasks, it can even tell you what desktop it's on.

There are also keyboard shortcuts to switch between Desktops and move applications across desktops without ever going into the overview. Both of which can be set to per desktop shortcuts.

--

There is one but it is abandoned and broken, not sure if it was ever finished.

If your interested however, here is the project https://github.com/astatide/kwinOverview

Could always fork it or use it as reference to make a new kwin script.

6 hours ago, Wild Penquin said:

I found this: https://store.kde.org/p/1370195/

9 minutes ago, Lemon797 said:

@Nayr438One problem...

I don't know how to install this.

You have a couple of options

1. You can install ocs-url from the aur, this will allow you to use the ocs-install functionality of the site. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ocs-url/
  2. Just so happens that kwin script is also in the aur, so you can install it that way as well. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kwin-scripts-parachute/
  3. Open System Settings -> Window Management -> Kwin Scripts -> Install from file / search for it in get new scripts
  4. Decompress the kwinscript with Ark into ~/.local/share/kwin/scripts/

7 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

You have a couple of options

1. You can install ocs-url from the aur, this will allow you to use the ocs-install functionality of the site. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ocs-url/
  2. Just so happens that kwin script is also in the aur, so you can install it that way as well. https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/kwin-scripts-parachute/
  3. Open System Settings -> Window Management -> Kwin Scripts -> Install from file / search for it in get new scripts
  4. Decompress the kwinscript with Ark into ~/.local/share/kwin/scripts/

I just do 2. or do I do 3. nd 4. aswell?

3 minutes ago, Lemon797 said:

I just do 2. or do I do 3. nd 4. aswell?

Just one of them, I would just personally install it from the AUR since its already there. I just installed it, works fine after restart.

Just now, Nayr438 said:

Any one of them, I would just personally install it from the AUR since its already there. I just installed it, works fine after restart.

ok.