Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ineedhelpplease

6 pin to 8 Gtx 1660

@IneedhelppleaseYes you will want to buy a new psu and by looking at that psu, good thing it diidnt power up for too long or you are gonna fry all your components.

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello.

 

I recently bought a gtx 1660 super, I put It on my pc do the cable etc.. and I get a error message ( please power down plug your graphic card ... )

I know 6 pin can work on a 8 pin gpu but It doesn't for me

 

Should I buy a new PSU

 

I let you some pic

 

I have a 2 * 6 pin to 8 pin converter

I only have 1* 6 pin on my PSU

 

My config use about 340 watt

My PSU can provide 400 watt ( lepa )

 

Help me !

20200922_221628.jpg

20200922_224137.jpg

20200922_224241.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

That 6-8 adapter is designed to have 2 6-pins plugged into it, and one of the conductors only connects to one of the 6-pins so by picking the wrong one, you'll be missing that and it won't detect that power is applied.

 

In theory, switching to the other 6-pin on the adapter should fix the issue, but you'd still be running a decently power-hungry system on a pretty mediocre PSU, so I'd get a new PSU if possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, BlazerBuddy said:

Yes you will want to buy a new psu and by looking at that psu, good thing it diidnt power up for too long or you are gonna fry all your components.

Thank for your quick answer !

Well my PSU is a bit old but the PSU work for the system.

Are you sure that it's the problem ?

20200922_221601.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

You're playing with fire my friend. I wouldn't advise trying to get that to work the way you are. A new PSU will be the much better (and safer) course of action.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, definitely a new psu, 1660 super recommends a 450w psu. Getting a 550 should work fine but a 650 would allow for more future upgrades

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Grabhanem said:

That 6-8 adapter is designed to have 2 6-pins plugged into it, and one of the conductors only connects to one of the 6-pins so by picking the wrong one, you'll be missing that and it won't detect that power is applied.

 

In theory, switching to the other 6-pin on the adapter should fix the issue, but you'd still be running a decently power-hungry system on a pretty mediocre PSU, so I'd get a new PSU if possible.

I tried both and I even tied without the adapter.

Thank you I will get a new PSU !

 

I will send news as soon as I get one

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not trust a low-end LEPA PSU to deliver even half its rated power. What's your location and budget for a new PSU?


We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

 

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: PowerColor PCS+ R9 290

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone Fara R1-based case for half the price

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Logitech G203 Prodigy

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: 2x Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
1 minute ago, Energycore said:

I would not trust a low-end LEPA PSU to deliver even half its rated power. What's your location and budget for a new PSU?

I'm in france

I think I'm going to buy a corsair CV550

550watt.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ineedhelpplease said:

I'm in france

I think I'm going to buy a corsair CV550

550watt.

That's a very low end unit. Let's see if I can come up with an alternative.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MWGZT5N

 

Can you buy from Amazon.de? This is a decent unit for cheap (EUR53.33)

EDIT: The 550W version is a bit cheaper even.


We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

 

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: PowerColor PCS+ R9 290

Attachcorethingy: GA-H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone Fara R1-based case for half the price

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Logitech G203 Prodigy

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: 2x Samsung SMB2030N (1600x900 VGA)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Energycore said:

That's a very low end unit. Let's see if I can come up with an alternative.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B07MWGZT5N

 

Can you buy from Amazon.de? This is a decent unit for cheap (EUR53.33)

EDIT: The 550W version is a bit cheaper even.

The S12iii is not super great either. If you want something reliable and future proof, I'd look at a Pure Power 10/11 or something similar-- consult the tier list.

 

OP, what's your budget for the PSU?

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Ineedhelpplease said:

Thank for your quick answer !

Well my PSU is a bit old but the PSU work for the system.

Are you sure that it's the problem ?

20200922_221601.jpg

Yes because if you don’t have enough power for the gpu then it won’t want to boot far or even at all. 2 6 pin power cables are probably the only reason it boots. What’s you get a better psu that won’t blow up your pc it should boot perfectly fine :).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×