Will the USB C port on my motherboard work with Oculus link?

Hello, I'm looking to buy a cable for the Oculus link but can't afford the official one. I found a cable that is USB C to USB C (like the official one) but there is one problem, I don't know if the USB C port in my motherboard will do it with Oculus link. My motherboard is an Asus strix B450-f, does anyone know if it will work?

https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-F-GAMING/

it should work fine with the correct adapters. there are posts about this on the oculus forums and some on reddit where people use adapters instead with success.

2 minutes ago, bmx6454 said:

it should work fine with the correct adapters.

What adapters?

"Oculus Link Cable

Oculus Link was recently updated to support the USB 2.0 cable that comes included with Oculus Quest, but you may need to opt into the beta version of the Oculus desktop software to make it work."

looks like any USB cable will work just fine, any C to C should be no issue as almost every motherboard they are USB 3.1 Gen1 or better, yours I believe is USB 3.1 Gen 2 but it's not very clear on the specs. either way you shouldn't run into any issues

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

1 minute ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

"Oculus Link Cable

Oculus Link was recently updated to support the USB 2.0 cable that comes included with Oculus Quest, but you may need to opt into the beta version of the Oculus desktop software to make it work."

looks like any USB cable will work just fine, any C to C should be no issue as almost every motherboard they are USB 3.1 Gen1 or better, yours I believe is USB 3.1 Gen 2 but it's not very clear on the specs. either way you shouldn't run into any issues

So I should be fine using the USB C port in my motherboard? (I had to do allot of research and I believe the USB C port  on the motherboard is USB 3.1 GEN 1)

1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (1 at back panel, , Type-C)

Yes. It is fine. Note you should try and be picky on your USB cable; quality does matter. A poor quality one just will have trouble pushing the same amount data NONSTOP for SO LONG. It will degrade fast. Adapters do too. it pushes a LOT of current. My motherboard trips overcurrent sometimes with the quest still plugged in... also the oculus software is a bloated mess of garbage

Don't bother with c -> c cables, most are usb2. usb3.0 c -> c is always too expensive. 

Yes usb 2.0 works with link, but it's just not good at all. Anyone who says the quality/input lag can't be seen or felt is blind and brainlagging. 

Gen 2 sometimes has more issues with oculus link than gen 1 iirc. It's been a while. I dropped the quest for the index as fast as I could.

That anker one above ^ is what I used and it's fantastic. Along with an actively powered extender, you get a very long cable.

26 minutes ago, Felicity said:

1 x USB 3.1 Gen 1 port(s) (1 at back panel, , Type-C)

Yes. It is fine. Note you should try and be picky on your USB cable; quality does matter. A poor quality one just will have trouble pushing the same amount data NONSTOP for SO LONG. It will degrade fast. Adapters do too. it pushes a LOT of current. My motherboard trips overcurrent sometimes with the quest still plugged in... also the oculus software is a bloated mess of garbage

Don't bother with c -> c cables, most are usb2. usb3.0 c -> c is always too expensive. 

Yes usb 2.0 works with link, but it's just not good at all. Anyone who says the quality/input lag can't be seen or felt is blind and brainlagging. 

Gen 2 sometimes has more issues with oculus link than gen 1 iirc. It's been a while. I dropped the quest for the index as fast as I could.

That anker one above ^ is what I used and it's fantastic. Along with an actively powered extender, you get a very long cable.

Any active extenders you recommend?

7 minutes ago, Sheepy_0 said:

Any active extenders you recommend?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-15-Feet-Female-Active-Extension/dp/B00AA0U08M/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=usb+3.0+extender+active&qid=1600811799&s=electronics&sr=1-6 is what I used... but I had some issues with this other one, (several of the wires weren't soldered correctly... I opened it up and had a look lol I was really mad, it would only pass 2.0

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=usb+3.0+extender&qid=1600811737&s=electronics&sr=1-6

depsite them being from the same factory in china and being the SAME exact thing board-type. there are also nice ones that are more expensive, but it's probably the point of not spending too much. With this and the 10ft anker cable ($35? total I guessish) I got 16m of cabling I was able to use a pulley system for which was fun to make 

make sure it's active, whatever you buy. It will degrade the signal to 2.0 otherwise. (also there's a weird quirk where it may only work as 3.0 on one side of the usb-c... so direction still matters if using an extender

idk I spent so much time on all this stuff trying to get link to work only to realize it was all on Oculus' side really

edit: 6m was not long enough for me, even with a small room.

5 minutes ago, Felicity said:

https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-15-Feet-Female-Active-Extension/dp/B00AA0U08M/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=usb+3.0+extender+active&qid=1600811799&s=electronics&sr=1-6 is what I used... but I had some issues with this other one, (several of the wires weren't soldered correctly... I opened it up and had a look lol I was really mad, it would only pass 2.0

https://www.amazon.com/CableCreation-Extension-Extender-Booster-Compatible/dp/B0179MXKU8/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=usb+3.0+extender&qid=1600811737&s=electronics&sr=1-6

depsite them being from the same factory in china and being the SAME exact thing board-type. there are also nice ones that are more expensive, but it's probably the point of not spending too much. With this and the 10ft anker cable ($35? total I guessish) I got 16m of cabling I was able to use a pulley system for which was fun to make 

make sure it's active, whatever you buy. It will degrade the signal to 2.0 otherwise. (also there's a weird quirk where it may only work as 3.0 on one side of the usb-c... so direction still matters if using an extender

idk I spent so much time on all this stuff trying to get link to work only to realize it was all on Oculus' side really

edit: 6m was not long enough for me, even with a small room.

Do you think this one will be fine?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B088NQC7RB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BkNAFb12K023F

it'll work but I tried to stick my edit at the end there, 6m is just not long enough. I needed at least 10m to be comfortable, or 16m for a well-routed cabling situation. 

It will work fine tho if you just want to try it and then see how much length you need (blush). 

1 minute ago, Felicity said:

it'll work but I tried to stick my edit at the end there, 6m is just not long enough. I needed at least 10m to be comfortable, or 16m for a well-routed cabling situation. 

It will work fine tho if you just want to try it and then see how much length you need (blush). 

Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't see the edit on the end, my bad. My room isn't the biggest in the world so 6m is more then enough for me (I need 5m for my room) so I will probably buy that cable in a week before the headset arrives.

6 minutes ago, Sheepy_0 said:

Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't see the edit on the end, my bad. My room isn't the biggest in the world so 6m is more then enough for me (I need 5m for my room) so I will probably buy that cable in a week before the headset arrives.

i have barely enough space too and you'd be surprised at how quick a short cable will get yanked if you do anything that involves moving around at all, even just 2-3 meters. The extender is good for that since it will yank out of the extender and not the headset/pc. An all in one extender won't have that positive tho.

Granted, I also did the silly hooks in my ceiling thing for pulleys so I could center the drop of the wire and run it along the ceiling and have the center of 'gravity' be in the middle of my room if I wanted to tryhard the setup. (doing all that was fun tho it was a project and got me through the insanity of early quarantine) 

2 minutes ago, Felicity said:

i have barely enough space too and you'd be surprised at how quick a short cable will get yanked if you do anything that involves moving around at all, even just 2-3 meters. The extender is good for that since it will yank out of the extender and not the headset/pc. An all in one extender won't have that positive tho.

Granted, I also did the silly hooks in my ceiling thing for pulleys so I could center the drop of the wire and run it along the ceiling and have the center of 'gravity' be in the middle of my room if I wanted to tryhard the setup. (doing all that was fun tho it was a project and got me through the insanity of early quarantine) 

Yeah. My room will definitely be more then enough with 6m, 5m is what I want but 6m is just to be on the safe side. Luckily, I can afford that cable (unlike the official one)

yeah the official one is nonsense. especially after they released the 2.0 usb update, it became pretty much obsolete. It's more consistent technically since it's not copper/whatever cabling, it's fiber, but the price/performance is not worthwhile at all 😕 

it's mostly just a scam tbh. if they really cared to work with Link they would have put a displayport connector on the quest 2 as well. 

also I don't know HOW this stuff will change with the quest 2 assuming you're getting that. so take everything I'm saying now as outdated info that was true for Q1, but might change dramatically. The bester place to read up is on the oculus forums, there are a few relatively knowledgeable people there (but a lot of parroting ppl/not so critical thinkers too)

2 minutes ago, Felicity said:

yeah the official one is nonsense. especially after they released the 2.0 usb update, it became pretty much obsolete. It's more consistent technically since it's not copper/whatever cabling, it's fiber, but the price/performance is not worthwhile at all 😕 

it's mostly just a scam tbh. if they really cared to work with Link they would have put a displayport connector on the quest 2 as well. 

also I don't know HOW this stuff will change with the quest 2 assuming you're getting that. so take everything I'm saying now as outdated info that was true for Q1, but might change dramatically. The bester place to read up is on the oculus forums, there are a few relatively knowledgeable people there (but a lot of parroting ppl/not so critical thinkers too)

Yeah, when I ask people about the quest with link and such, I usually ask about the quest 1 and hope it's the same. I contacted oculus and they said a "3.0 USB C to C or A will work your motherboard" so I hope he is right. If it doesn't work, I can always say it doesn't work and get a refund. I hope they don't change it with the quest 2, you would think they wouldn't but they will find some way too.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reviving this thread.  Has anybody tried a USB-A 3.0 header with a USB-A -> USB-C adapter to connect their Oculus Quest 2?  

I'm thinking of buying a couple of Oculus headsets for my son and I, and both of our computers are on the older side, and don't have USB-C ports.  We've got USB-A 3.0.  I don't want to drop a grand on a couple of VR headsets unless we're going to get the full experience.

Alternatively, I could consider the Oculus Rift S, as connectivity would be assured, with DisplayPort for the graphic's signal.

HELP?